I'm looking to buy a used Gibson SG from a friend of mine, and I want to swap out the pickups for EMGs. He already has the 81/85 combo installed, so all I'd have to do is get the pickups and swap out. Fairly easy.

I know the 58 is often recommended for bridge and the 60 for the neck, but I've been thinking, what it would sound like to reverse that. I'm thinking of putting the 60 in the bridge and the 58 in the neck. My sound is a really beefy dirty rock tone, not unlike Chrome Division.

Do you guys think it's a good idea? Do you know how it would sound?
MOMMY MAD 'CAUSE I MADE A BOOM ON THE RUG

Gretsch G5120 >>> ProCo Rat >>> Fender Bassman 4x10
The 58 is a relatively noisy emg but it is very hot, Glenn Tipton used it in his original SG for early priest albums (most notably screaming for vengeance).
Quote by thematthill5
The man speaks truth.

Quote by Scutchington
That was probably the first time I've ever laughed at the "over 9000" meme.
well neck pickups are lower output than bridge pickups. Your neck sound would be really hot and your bridge tone would lack :/
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Quote by The_Mariner
The 58 is a relatively noisy emg but it is very hot, Glenn Tipton used it in his original SG for early priest albums (most notably screaming for vengeance).

Yeah, that I know, but I love the fat sound of it.

I've played guitars with the 60 in the neck, and I've played guitars with the 58 in the bridge, but never vice versa, and never with the two together in the same guitar. I'm trying to gauge how good of an idea it'd be before I drop $200 on pickups.

I've never even heard of the 58 until now

I can't help but think that EMGs are completely wrong for the genre you're going for though
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I've never even heard of the 58 until now

I can't help but think that EMGs are completely wrong for the genre you're going for though

This is the kinda stuff I play:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__KnL-OvtCg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH0hXPlrBrA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yM1UjsjOeM4

Both their guitarists use EMG-equipped ESP Eclipses

I'm thinking a 58 in the bridge and an 85 in the neck?

Last edited by LoudLove5150 at Aug 20, 2010,
Sorry for the double post, but listening to some clips and stuff, the 58 is the better choice for the bridge, but which would complement it better in the neck, the 85 or the 60?

Quote by AxSilentxLine
Not tryin to troll ya dude but EMG's in a Gibson is blasphemy IMO

Says the guy playing an EMG-loaded Epi

I'm still not sure though. I might just buy a new EC-401 from LTD and call it a day. Swap the pups down the road.

Quote by LoudLove5150
Both their guitarists use EMG-equipped ESP Eclipses

I'm thinking a 58 in the bridge and an 85 in the neck?

It might work for them, but those are also studio tones.

I still think you'd be much better off with a nice set of passives. It will sound more rich instead of your typical "dead" EMG tone, which is definitely NOT what you want with that kind of music. It's fine in metal and jazz, where everything needs to be precise, but in that kind of stuff, you want something that get down and dirty, but still make your guitar sound alive.

Not to mention, they may use Eclipses, but an SG is a pretty different sounding guitar. ESP Eclipses are really the only guitars I've ever liked with EMGs in them. They just seem to work in those things.

I just feel like you're trying to go for something just because your favorite band plays them, not because they are the absolute best pickup for the job, in that price range
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Aug 20, 2010,
Quote by AxSilentxLine

Your joking right?
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
Quote by LoudLove5150
Says the guy playing an EMG-loaded Epi

I'm still not sure though. I might just buy a new EC-401 from LTD and call it a day. Swap the pups down the road.

The key word is EPI not GIBSON lol

Quote by rdobson2
Your joking right?
I think you'll find i'm dead serious sports fan. What of it?
Quote by AxSilentxLine

I agree. You get that lovely warm mahogany tone from the SG and its resonance and you cancel it all out by putting active pickups in it.....
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
Quote by MatrixClaw
It might work for them, but those are also studio tones.

I still think you'd be much better off with a nice set of passives. It will sound more rich instead of your typical "dead" EMG tone, which is definitely NOT what you want with that kind of music. It's fine in metal and jazz, where everything needs to be precise, but in that kind of stuff, you want something that get down and dirty, but still make your guitar sound alive.

Not to mention, they may use Eclipses, but an SG is a pretty different sounding guitar. ESP Eclipses are really the only guitars I've ever liked with EMGs in them. They just seem to work in those things.

I just feel like you're trying to go for something just because your favorite band plays them, not because they are the absolute best pickup for the job, in that price range

Like I said, I'm still debating on whether to get the SG or go for a new LTD EC.

My playing style is the same, but my sound is fairly different. I use a Bassman 4x10 with a Russian Big Muff, and my P90-equipped SG sounds WAAAAAY too muddy with it. I'm just trying the get something to give me a nice sharp tone, and I know EMGs, while fairly lifeless, are good for pulling a nice edgy tone out of anything. I mean, push comes to shove, and EMGs aren't the choice, I'll get the EC-401VF and swap out the '59 for a Jazz.

Quote by Talentless
I agree. You get that lovely warm mahogany tone from the SG and its resonance and you cancel it all out by putting active pickups in it.....

aaand agreed.