well, i shipped the laney back today. sad to see it go, but it needed some work, maybe new transformers even. i didnt feel like buying an amp for hundreds of dollars and then putting more into repairing it. if you didnt see my posts about it, there was so much noise, you could hear it over the guitar, the transformers were bent(idfk how) and the chassis was cracked. real buzz kill.

anyway, i was thinking of the next amp id try would be the egnater renegade. ive been in to my local gc many times over the past year playing that thing. but today i really had a chance to sit down with it for a long time BY MYSELF and got a real feel for it. and surprisingly, it didnt really sit right with me. the clean channel is like absolutely perfect. something about the drive channel though. i kind of noticed it before, but i noticed it alot more today, its just weird the way the notes react to playing. for some reason its just different than i remember. i still think it has really good tone, just, not what im looking for. at least, not the sound for what i want to do musically. i almost want to say, too american voiced?

either way, im looking for another amp, because the thing that happened with my laney was very discouraging, and those are hard to come by so i figure id have to start looking all over again.

let me see if i can do this as to not piss 311 off :p

budget: 700~ ill try to go up to 1000ish if its worth it.
genres: prog metal/rock, has to be able to conjure sparkling clean to crushing dist.

primarily used at home, or to jam with friends, im working on writing but idk if i see gigging in my future unless i can get a whole band together which is hard since i know only one other prog head around here and im pretty sure hes the only one

preferably new, only willing to go used if i can try it in person. never want to ship an amp again since the laney incident

my current gear is in my sig.

closest city is pittsburgh pa.

favored tones: opeth, alcest, porcupine tree, dream theater, agalloch, katatonia, swallow the sun, eluveitie

for distortion im mostly looking to do that semi high gain thing as in the band above, not teh uber brootz or anything but itd be nice to have that extra gain if id want it. i dont like using boost to acheive my distortion, unless you have a separate effects loop like the vh100r. basically yea, just the bands i listed are in the realm of tones im going for. and from what ive heard if i could afford a baron amp that would be very very nice ha. i like the tone that my jca puts out alot, its pretty british voiced to my ear, but not really that old school like an orange or something.

idk, what do you think? thanks guys!
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Quote by FatalGear41
I'd go with Carvin's V3:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=V3

It will do everything you have asked for in your post and more.

i recently saw a demo of this, it sounded kinda fizzy. any input on this? ive looked at this amp before, its seemed very very promising in terms of features and voicing and everything, just now that ive seen this i dont want to get a box of bees or sandpaper you know? lol but thanks for reminding me about it as an option, it slipped my mind.
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
Quote by Linqua5150

let me see if i can do this as to not piss 311 off :p

! !

what about this?
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/msg/1906188180.html

I also see a:

Laney GH50L
Peavey XXX
Genz Benz El Diablo
Marshall Vintage Modern
Marshall TSL 100
Marshall DSL 100
Marshall Super Lead clone
Mesa Boogie Single Rec 50
Marshall JCM 900 (several)
Mesa Boogie DC5
Peavey VTM 120 + 412 $400
Peavey 6505

Any of those strike your fancy?

I know you prefer new but
is that link to a jcm or dsl? i cant see.

Laney GH50L - tone would most likely be ideal, some of my favorite tones of all time come from this amp, but i really want two channels. (hence vh100r)
Peavey XXX - ill have to take another look, its been a while since i considered one of these.
Genz Benz El Diablo - listening to a demo as we speak.
Marshall Vintage Modern - arent these rather expensive? idk ill look at these too.
Marshall TSL 100 - dont like these, not thick enough and kinda fizzy for my tastes.
Marshall DSL 100 - same, my friend has one its just not what im looking for
Mesa Boogie Single Rec 50 - almost got one, but the bastards at guitar center sold it like right after i got off the phone with them.
Marshall JCM 900 (several) - perhaps, have to do some looking/hearing around. lost faith with marshall for a bit but im open to anything

thanks!
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
Man. I wanna single rec.

J
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by AxSilentxLine
If you can find one used for that budget, a Diamond Phantom

that would be an amazing once in a lifetime deal hah
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
Quote by Linqua5150
is that link to a jcm or dsl? i cant see.

Laney GH50L - tone would most likely be ideal, some of my favorite tones of all time come from this amp, but i really want two channels. (hence vh100r)
Peavey XXX - ill have to take another look, its been a while since i considered one of these.
Genz Benz El Diablo - listening to a demo as we speak.
Marshall Vintage Modern - arent these rather expensive? idk ill look at these too.
Marshall TSL 100 - dont like these, not thick enough and kinda fizzy for my tastes.
Marshall DSL 100 - same, my friend has one its just not what im looking for
Mesa Boogie Single Rec 50 - almost got one, but the bastards at guitar center sold it like right after i got off the phone with them.
Marshall JCM 900 (several) - perhaps, have to do some looking/hearing around. lost faith with marshall for a bit but im open to anything

thanks!

I honestly couldn't tell what that was

I searched on amp from $400 - $1,000 I think and those were the amps that popped out at me. You might like the XXX with EL34 power tubes for what you play. I also would not discount that Peavey VTM with an Avatar 412 cab. Maybe he wrote the ad wrong or I didn't read it right but that would be a good deal. It is basically a JCM 800 clone.

I kinda dig the TSL

oh and ....you are welcome
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I honestly couldn't tell what that was

I searched on amp from $400 - $1,000 I think and those were the amps that popped out at me. You might like the XXX with EL34 power tubes for what you play. I also would not discount that Peavey VTM with an Avatar 412 cab. Maybe he wrote the ad wrong or I didn't read it right but that would be a good deal. It is basically a JCM 800 clone.

I kinda dig the TSL

oh and ....you are welcome

those are my reactions to your suggestions lol. and, a clone?
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
Quote by Linqua5150
those are my reactions to your suggestions lol. and, a clone?

no I meant I couldn't tell what that first Marshall was - JCM or 2000. No info.

one of those said Clone yes, but I have no idea how good it is.

New - maybe a Egnater Tweaker or Jet City or Vypyr 60/120
Quote by Linqua5150
i recently saw a demo of this, it sounded kinda fizzy. any input on this? ive looked at this amp before, its seemed very very promising in terms of features and voicing and everything, just now that ive seen this i dont want to get a box of bees or sandpaper you know? lol but thanks for reminding me about it as an option, it slipped my mind.

If someone was sounding fizzy with a V3, they just weren't setting the amp properly. The thing sounds huge, with a much better bottom end than a lot of its competitors. If I were looking for a tube amp head right now, the V3 would be at the top of the list. It is a hell of a lot of amp for the buck and it is built like a tank.

I second the recommendation of a Diamond, though I would go with the Nitrox. Sadly, you aren't going to find a Diamond amp in your budget unless you come across a junkie with one who is desperate for a fix.

Peavey just released a new version of its 6505+ amp called the 6534+. It uses EL34 tubes and is supposed to have much better cleans in addition to its legendary high-gain capabilities. I haven't heard one yet, but it certainly seems promising and the reviews in the trades have all been excellent. If you can find one, I suggest giving it a good listen.

You might be able to find a Mesa Dual Rectifier at the top end of your budget used, especially since they have just revamped the Dual Rectifier so the old model might not be as desirable. If you can find one, I think you'll be happy with that one, too.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
i am considering the jet city, they seem to not be as typically american voiced as say a peavey. the tweaker, is def on my list of amps to get at some point, but thats reserved for if i have an extra 400 bucks laying around and want a low volume practice amp. and im not really looking for solid state/modeling. at one time i loked at that stuff, never looking back haha
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
Quote by Linqua5150
i am considering the jet city, they seem to not be as typically american voiced as say a peavey. the tweaker, is def on my list of amps to get at some point, but thats reserved for if i have an extra 400 bucks laying around and want a low volume practice amp. and im not really looking for solid state/modeling. at one time i loked at that stuff, never looking back haha

If you're looking at the JCA100 then it's almost the quintessential american voiced rock amp tone with the SLO circuit. AFAIK the Peavey 5150 circuit was actually modelled off a SLO circuit
Quote by AxSilentxLine
If you're looking at the JCA100 then it's almost the quintessential american voiced rock amp tone with the SLO circuit. AFAIK the Peavey 5150 circuit was actually modelled off a SLO circuit

lol seems different to me
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?