I've been playing for about 16 years and I've never owned an acoustic,I've always borrowed them when I needed them for recording or whatever...my dad got a good deal on an alverez regent and gave it to me.now the strings on it look really bad but it will stay in tune but the action is very high,..I play with pretty high action on my eletrics but this is ridiculous.I plan on buying a set of strings for it this weekend but I'm thinking that won't solve the problem....is it possible to lower the action on it somehow?
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
Yes. Action adjustments are made by lowering the saddle and nut.
Ok so a shorter nut and the 2 screws on the bridge? Ok I'll try that thanks

um... no. the nut must be sanded or shaved lower by hand. the saddle is what you need to work on, not the bridge, and it's not lowered by screws as it's not screwed on. the wood on the saddle has to be carefully sanded or sliced off, and must be done carefully or you can lower it too far and end up with fret buzz.

go to frets.com to read more about how to lower the action.
Last edited by patticake at Aug 20, 2010,
Wow so its pretty complicated...I guess this will be my winter project

it's not complicated. it DOES require patience, eye hand coordination and a little skill with tools. otherwise it's not expensive to have a luthier or tech lower the action for you once you've decided on the gauge of strings you'll be using and how low you want it, or how hard/soft you play. some guitar stores will throw in a free or low cost setup, however i would only recommend doing that if you're sure the action is too high for you. on the other hand, even if they get it wrong, getting it done again later with a new nut and saddle isn't that expensive.