Page 1 of 2
So I decided to buy a Peavey 6505+ with a Marshall 1960a cab after watching countless videos, reading hundreds of reviews and other such stuff.

I've been playing around with it for a while and it just sounds terrible, I can't get a sound out of it that isn't weak, even with the post on 4, I can get an amazing low end sound, your chuggy sort of stuff, but playing with the same setting the highs sound weak and aweful. I have to run a frigging compressor in front of this thing to get it to sound half-decent.

I'm running the pre on 6, any lower and the lows sound aweful, you know what I mean, that really weak and boring sound.

There are no broken cables, and I'm running it dry with no pedals, guitar is a high end Schecter that is working fine, tested on another amp and just had new strings.

This was one of the videos that persuaded me to get this head and amp:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yaN-RrrT44

Basically he is running it with the post on 1 and the pre on like 4.5, using these exact same settings, the sound I'm receiving is no where near as strong as his, anyone have any ideas? Could it be a faulty head or something, I can record demos if necessary.

Thanks.
Last edited by KarmaShade at Aug 20, 2010,
You're gonna need this mate.

(Invalid img)
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by CL/\SH
You're gonna need this mate.

(Invalid img)

Uhh why?
TS the first time I tried a 6505+ it sounded weak and harsh and it turned me off them for years to come. The second one I tried I fell in love with and bought on the spot. I suspect you might have bad tubes.
well, its a peavey.

lol just kidding.

change tubes?

arent these amps made to do chugga chugga low low stuff? (and nothing else? :p)
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Yeah I feel ya, I'm trading my 6505+ halfstack for a peavey classic 50 212 tomorrow, I can't wait to get rid of the thing.
Tubes bro, tubes.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Yeah, how old are the valves in it?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by AxSilentxLine
Uhh why?
TS the first time I tried a 6505+ it sounded weak and harsh and it turned me off them for years to come. The second one I tried I fell in love with and bought on the spot. I suspect you might have bad tubes.

I was assuming that a 6505 fan boy will come in and flame him to death. Then I realized that this is GG&A, not EG.

TS, maybe it's just not what you expected?

I came close to buying a 5150 recently, decided against it. I'm not big on br00tz. But I should think that the 6505+ wouldn't sound as bad as you're describing it, it's a fairly popular and good sounding amp for what it's used for. I'm thinking maybe the tubes are a dud. Did the guy in the video have a Marshall Lead cab like yours? Maybe you could return the cab and get something with different speakers.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by forsaknazrael
What's your EQ?
What's your guitar?

Compressor?

yea this
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
I'm using a Marshall lead, same one as in the video I posted.

I've tried using the exact same settings as the guy in the video, which were:
Pre gain: 4.5
Low: 7
Mid: 8
High: 5.5
Post gain: 1
Resonance : 6.5
Prescence: 4

Sounds aweful, tried tweaking them in sooo many ways, same result. After getting annoyed with it I decided to see what it was like with a compressor, slightly better, not using it though at the moment, forget I mentioned it.

Is there any well to tell that it is the tubes, it is a hastle to send this thing back and get another.
My 5150 isn't chuggy at all...

Then again it had been rebiased and retubed when I purchased it.
Agile 725 7 string w/Blackouts (new paint too)
Jackson Soloist Professional Standard
Jackson SLSMG With Livewire Metals
Fernandes Tremor 4 string
Peavey 5150 2x12 (new tolex and re-biased)
Peavey TNT 100 1x15
Line 6 Pod XT w/FBV
Misc Junk
I guess I can put it down to something is wrong with this amp, I know what they sound like and it sure as hell ain't this.

The tubes look fine, is there anyway to tell for sure if there is something wrong with them?
make sure they arent red, shake them slightly and if you heard any dead lightbulb noise somethings wrong, tube tester etc..

try to find one at a GC near you or somewhere and see if it sounds the same?
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
I've just put it on standby for about 2mins then turned it off, I can hear little clicks coming from the head, maybe a dumb question but is that normal?

Also it hums while on standby is this normal? Pretty much a newbie to tubes.
Last edited by KarmaShade at Aug 20, 2010,
The amp is supposed to open up a bit more with the Presence and resonance near dimed.

To counteract the high presence, turn the treble down.. and the mids are good around the 5 mark. or maybe even a little lower. adjust the bass where you want it.. and the gain where you want it.. see what happens.

Also, maybe the 5150 just doesn't that good with that particular cabinet?
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
The clicks are no big deal...it's the tubes contracting while they cool.

I would try a little less mids, and maybe a touch more highs, see where that gets you.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
If you are using a schecter. A compressor pedal makes it a bit better.... It may be that you have active pickups and the batteries are dying. Have you checked that if you do have actives in the schecter?
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
Running passive pickups, I'm certain that this amp isn't going to sound stronger with EQing alone and I know it isn't supposed to sound like this, I don't want to have to rely on a compressor to make it sound good, for how much I paid it should sound good alone.

I can only really think that there is something wrong with the head, but the tubes look fine, it just sounds so weak, when everyone calls it so brootal, not that I want a super brootal tone.
Then I am at a loss. I used a 5150 in a rehearsal room once and it sounded pretty terrible. It did however look neglected so could of probably done with some new tubes. Maybe take it to a tech and see if the tubes do need replacing?
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
hmm, thanks for your input guys, I have a two year warranty on it, so I may just get them to swap it, just to make sure, if I upload a sound clip for you guys, would you be able to tell whether something is up with it or not?

Thanks.
Quote by Linqua5150
make sure they arent red, shake them slightly and if you heard any dead lightbulb noise somethings wrong, tube tester etc..

try to find one at a GC near you or somewhere and see if it sounds the same?

Yeah, go ahead and don't do that. You'll kill all of your tubes.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
So you only just got it...?

Check if you have the ohms matched up right. Did you turn it on without a cab connected. Don't worry it happens...

Other than that spend more time with it, try your own settings. Its all we can help you with
Call me Brent
Quote by m33sta.

People would leave guitars for me in a box on the doorstep with a note "Please look after little Johnie, we just cant cope anymore, all he wants to do is hook up with Marshalls, We thought he would be a fender boy.

Yeah, I know that the ohms are correct, I only ever turned it on once without the load connected, would this have effected it in anyway, it would have been on with the load disconnected for no longer than 5 seconds and 30 seconds on standby possibly.
Are you using a speaker cable to connect the two?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by KarmaShade
Yeah, I know that the ohms are correct, I only ever turned it on once without the load connected, would this have effected it in anyway, it would have been on with the load disconnected for no longer than 5 seconds and 30 seconds on standby possibly.

Turning on an amp without a speaker loud is a pretty sweet way to break it.

Don't do it again.
Quote by oneblackened
Yeah, go ahead and don't do that. You'll kill all of your tubes.
Only if he tries to do it while the amp is on. And even then, he's only gonna kill one tube because his fingers will get fried.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Arn't some 6505 head biassed to cold? Someone told me that after i tried a 6505 head which sounded lifeless.
gear
-Giablo JTM45
-Hook 2X12
-fender hw1 strat
-Fender AVRI 62 strat
You just learned one of the most important things in the life of a musician.

Don't buy gear based on judgments you make in a video. The amp is going to sound a bit different in person and that might be enough for you to not enjoy the amp. Mics aren't going to perceive how the amp will react with your playing and gear. You need to remember that.

Really what you should do is maybe try using the crunch channel instead of the lead channel. You need to have a bit of volume too as the 5150/6505 sound very harsh at lower volumes from my experience.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by KarmaShade
I'm using a Marshall lead, same one as in the video I posted.

I've tried using the exact same settings as the guy in the video, which were:
Pre gain: 4.5
Low: 7
Mid: 8
High: 5.5
Post gain: 1
Resonance : 6.5
Prescence: 4

Turn it up?
Never buy based on Internet reviews and youtube videos. Always try the gear yourself.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Page 1 of 2