let me start by saying i am not expecting anyone to give me a perfect eq to make me sound like john mayer. i am only seeking the advice of some more experienced players/tone freaks. i play an american strat > original crybaby > ts9 > 40 watt marshall haze combo. im really into a lot of rock/blues and am really seeking a john mayer like tone. if anyone has anything from amp eq to ts9 setting tips to get that type of tone i would really appreciate it. i def am searching for my own signature tone but a shove in the direction im trying to go would be much appreciated
I really wish I could help and don't mean to be a prick but the Haze is just....well it is just....____________.

I don't care for it all that much. Maybe boost the mids on the amp and run the TS as clean as you can (level = 10, gain = 0)

well i got it as a christmas present. obviously my requests for a used deville were ignored
dave matthews might.. just.. be.. god..

Quote by gregs1020
yes, pointing it at your head will send the sound towards your head.

it's the same with guns too, before you go testing that one.
on the amp-turn the bass to 2 oclock, mids about noon, treble around 2, don't really need to keep the presence to high either
keep in mind the ts-9 will add some mids to your tone and also...you don't want to keep the level on the ts-9 too low...I use a ts 808 and keep the overdrive dial at 12 o clock for 'good love' and 'slow dancing', and turn it to around 3ish for belief.
bass to 2 o clock? ive always heard that you wanted higher bass for a bluesy sound... worth a shot though man thanks

Quote by gregs1020

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

I don't care for it all that much. Maybe boost the mids on the amp and run the TS as clean as you can (level = 10, gain = 0)

John's tone is scooped, bro.

OP, I'd advise you to run the mids low (2 - 4) and keep the bass and treble high, but you're not going to really sound spot on with the Marshall Haze. Go for something like a Fender Deluxe Reverb instead...

You're also going to need a delay. John uses a Way Huge Aquapuss.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
well obviously my marshall haze while solid is not gonna match a handwired two rock custom amp. i dont have that kind of cash. i was wondering though, would a scooped EQ somewhat replicate the scooped low output pickups he uses? i dont wanna overdo it and have any of the more gainier solo's i play sound metalish..

Quote by gregs1020

@mangohabs
good stuff man

Quote by gregs1020

Quote by Raijouta

You're also going to need a delay. John uses a Way Huge Aquapuss.

yep, & t-rex replica
yea i use the delay on the amp but ive been looking at the tc electronics nova delay. ive heard its pretty sick? any other pedals you guys recommend? i really want a fullton ocd...

Quote by gregs1020

I don't know about John Mayer's amp settings, but keep in mind putting your mids on 10% on a Dumble(or Dumble clone) is equivalent to diming your mids on a blackface fender tone stack.

This Guy is Stupid.
|
\/
ha so if u were to relate a dumble to a marshall? forgive me im slightly ignorant with 9000 dollar amps

Quote by gregs1020

You really can't compare them. The midrange lies in very different places. You can scoop the midrange out completely on a marshall but the frequency range you're cutting will be narrower and in a different place than a fender or a dumble. You may be able to duplicate other parts of Mayer's tone, but I'm basically just saying that eq-ing your amp like his won't make you sound like him.

This Guy is Stupid.
|
\/
yea fair enough. ill focus on his ridiculously vibrato for now haha

Quote by gregs1020

ha cheers.

Quote by gregs1020

Quote by Raijouta
John's tone is scooped, bro.

True....I think I was drunk. Anyway, the Haze' EQ is worthless so cranking the mids was about the only thing I could do.

TS - i know you got it as a gift but maybe try to sell it and get something else.

PS: Checker - where the hell have you been?

v....Cool. I'm working on Blog to make a thread with in the event you have anything to add
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Aug 21, 2010,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
True....I think I was drunk. Anyway, the Haze' EQ is worthless so cranking the mids was about the only thing I could do.

TS - i know you got it as a gift but maybe try to sell it and get something else.

PS: Checker - where the hell have you been?

I've been developing my electronics know-how. Lots of lurking on DIY sites and studying TONS of schematics. back at ya.

This Guy is Stupid.
|
\/