I just ditched a kit idea. Now I am going to buy an RG370DX and customize the hell out of it. New pickups, rewiring, maybe builtin fx later on. I have two questions.

1) If I replace the pickups, is an RG still a metal only kind of guitar? Or is that just based on looks and stereotypes?

2) Are the pickup suggestions on sites like Dimarzio accurate? I know im taking a decent risk, but should i trust it?

Thanks for any replies.
1) my mate played one for blues, so therefor, no.

2) the pickup selection pages are to help, but you should try to find other guitars with those pickups in them to try them out.

what styles are you playing?
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
I play alot of different things, from alternative to indie to blues to metal, and im always expanding, so i was thinking of a:

high output bridge pickup (Dimarzio Super Distortion)

clean, bright middle pickup (Dimarzio Area 67)

warm neck pickup (Dimarzio PAF Joe)

Btw, these were all suggested from the site. Its a very versatile combo.
I've seen someone playing reggae on an Explorer, and only some people in the guitarist community would be like "hey that's normally a metal guitar." But really, it's a guitar, play what you want on it

Q2. That is quite versatile! However with the pickups you will have to search out some guitars with them to try. The website's sound samples are good, but you have to see if you can get the sound that you want out of it.
The challenge you can run into with a "versatile" pickup configuration is that if one pickup is way higher output than the others, it will drown others out when combined and you'll get a volume drop when switching to the lower output pickups. But there are certainly ways around this, such as separate volume pots.
Quote by cedricsmods
The challenge you can run into with a "versatile" pickup configuration is that if one pickup is way higher output than the others, it will drown others out when combined and you'll get a volume drop when switching to the lower output pickups. But there are certainly ways around this, such as separate volume pots.

Thanks, i didnt take that into consideration.