Killswitch Engage - My Curse
Killswitch Rose of sharyn (half way)
Megadeth - Symphony of destruction - All
Metallica - Enter Sandman
Metallica - Seek and Destroy
Breaking Benajamin - So cold
Parkway drive - Carrion (half)
Avenged Sevenfold - Nightmare (3/4)
Avenged Sevenfold - Critical Acclaim (half)
Avenged Sevenfold - Afterlife (3/4)
Metallica - Fade to black heavy sections and intro solo (solo is poor but not bad)
Bullet for My valentine - Room 409
Bullet for my Valentine - Your Betrayal
Bullet for my valentine The Last fight - Sorta not well
Metallica - Harvestor of sorrow (half)
Metallica - Of Wolf and Man (3/4)

All these songs are along to the mp3 and There are some timing issues, Which seems to be the biggest downfall in my playing it seems to be the thing I have the most trouble with, Only recently I've noticed how to listen to the drums in songs and getting a better sense of time listening to the song over and over and noticing little things like drum kicks the same as the BPM etc

The Techniques i have is only really Sweep picking
My alt picking isn't the best but it does me good enough most of the time, I'm more of a downpick guy

What I'm trying to figure out is.. What next? I sorta want to find others to jam with? Do you think I'm ready? (just another guitarist or maybe a drummer to force me into learning songs i wouldn't normally learn)

I think the next technique I might learn is sweep picking, However I'm thinking that's probably not the best thing to learn next. What are your thoughts?.
so you been playing for a year or so and you already have a half stack and can do the symphony of destruction solo?
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
if your having trouble on timing do trill practices. you need to work on alternate picking if your playing stuff like killswitch. But it never hurts to jam with people, its all about fun right?

Do you know how to do trill excersize?
You should listen to different music. Right now, you are listening to well-known and accessible bands, which is fine, but if you want some better guitar inspiration, listen to some more technical prog or metal.

Also, why did you say that you know sweep picking, but then as if it's a good technique to learn next? If you don't know it, it is worth learning because you can use it in many soloing situations, even if you don't use it for traditional arpeggios.

To get better at timing, practice songs with no backing track, only a metronome. That will help a lot.
Quote by adj209
so you been playing for a year or so and you already have a half stack and can do the symphony of destruction solo?

Ive been playing like 8 months and can already play at least 3 iron maiden solo's
Guitar is easy if u study it. Scales, technique, warmups, etc all helped me.
Quote by adj209

Nah no solos really, I'm not solos yet, Mostly just rhythm and I enjoy it a bit more than solos, However I do enjoy those "mini" solos in some songs

And yeah I have a lot of money to blow on stuff I want :P, So I thought might as well sink a few grand into some gear that will last a long time and will serve me well

Also what are some trill excersises?

Also I generally play a minimum of 2-3 hours a day, everyday no exceptions. even if it's just noodling around and playing along to songs
Last edited by BoL7z at Aug 20, 2010,
Quote by BoL7z
Nah no solos really, I'm not solos yet, Mostly just rhythm and I enjoy it a bit more than solos, However I do enjoy those "mini" solos in some songs

And yeah I have a lot of money to blow on stuff I want :P, So I thought might as well sink a few grand into some gear that will last a long time and will serve me well

Also I generally play a minimum of 2-3 hours a day, everyday no exceptions. even if it's just noodling around and playing along to songs

kk haha heres a huge explanation on how to trill.
Go to your first fret on the low e string. strum it ONCE and hemmeron to the second fret. Now move down a string and do the same thing, down, down, untill you reach the high e. Then just move down a fret and repeat (this time going upwards with pull offs) i like to do this excesize till the 12th fret. then you go back to where u started at the first fret low e and this time hammeron to the third fret with your ring figer. repeat the same process but this time skip a fret once again untill you have reached the 12th fret on all strings. Repeat this time skipping two frets using your pinky. '1h4'

this builds your fingers insanely fast and accurate.
Dimeback darrel invented this teq.

have fun and keep rockin
Quote by BoL7z

A trill is just a rapid series of hammer-on/pull-off on two note. I think that they're kinda useless for anything except actual applied trills, but they might help you with thinking "fast" while playing. For example, a lot of the speed alt-pick runs I play use sextuplets (six notes per beat). Trills may or may not help you be able to process high-speed rhythm. That guy is an Iron Maiden fan, and they use a lot of trills, so that might be why he recommended it.
Quote by Dmt8jr
Dimeback darrel invented this teq.

You're kidding, right? So all those Violin, Viola, Cello and Contrabass players back in the the baroque and even renaissance periods owed Dimebag for inventing trills?
Quote by Echoplex
A trill is just a rapid series of hammer-on/pull-off on two note. I think that they're kinda useless for anything except actual applied trills, but they might help you with thinking "fast" while playing. For example, a lot of the speed alt-pick runs I play use sextuplets (six notes per beat). Trills may or may not help you be able to process high-speed rhythm. That guy is an Iron Maiden fan, and they use a lot of trills, so that might be why he recommended it.

Quote by mishax92
You're kidding, right? So all those Violin, Viola, Cello and Contrabass players back in the the baroque and even renaissance periods owed Dimebag for inventing trills?

Yeah. Handel doesn't got shit on Dimebag.

EDIT: I kid, of course. I like both Pantera and Baroque music.
Last edited by Echoplex at Aug 20, 2010,
Quote by Dmt8jr
Ive been playing like 8 months and can already play at least 3 iron maiden solo's
Guitar is easy if u study it. Scales, technique, warmups, etc all helped me.

Well Iron Maiden Solos are pretty easy if you ask me compared to Megadeth.. Thats why i brought it up

Quote by BoL7z

Anyway here's my advice that I tell everyone;
Some basic theory will really help;
Learn the fretboard (there are games to practise this to reduce tedium)
Learn your basic scales, C, G, D and so on and their relative chords
Learn the circle of fifths
Learn your minor pentatonic and blues minor scale in all keys
Learn your 7 modes and how to create them
Learn other techniques; Pinch harmonics, divebombs, gallop picking and all that jazz
Try to practise songs without the rhythm guitar or lead and just a metronome
And so on and so forth

For something a bit for fun and useful to help develop your dexterity; find a solo you really like; slow it down to however slow you can play it; even if that is 25% speed. Practise the solo as much as possible and increase speed (dont forget the metronome) until you can play it flawlessly. Rinse repeat.
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
Last edited by adj209 at Aug 20, 2010,
Oh yeah I know some basic theory and know most of the fretboard and how to / where to find notes and how to re-arrange tabs and stuff, Also I have learnt some sections of songs just by listening to them, (normally slightly changed parts) of songs

Pinch harmonics I can do 70% of the time and some do come out quite well but sometimes less than i want