Recently I've been looking around for a new guitar and have noticed that Washburn guitars often have big brand pickups in guitars that are under £300

How on earth do they manage it? I'm talking like, EMGs and Seymour Duncans btw.

Usually around this price point you only find cheaper pickups branded by the company or Wilkinson.

Anyone care to enlighten me to how they get away with it?
Surely they can't just make everything else way cheaper?
Hi! I'm Andrew, and when I have a bubble in my throat I sound like Alan Rickman!

I have the BEST Jizz Face on UG!

My YouTube Channel (slowmotion stuff!): www.youtube.com/wannabeguitarlegend
Quote by consecutive e
Probably by cheaping out on other hardware and using cheaper wood.

This or in the construction of the guitar itself.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
You may find they have nice pickups, but that is really their only selling point. They know the buyer will see the EMG's, or SD's, and go "Wow, awesome guitar, for cheap too!" but they fail to realize the build quality will be low, the wood used will be cheap, and therefore the sound will be affected, and you have a truly nice set of pickups wasted in a crap guitar. Compare it to putting $200 pickups into a Squier Strat starter guitar.
The build quality of mine is fine. I think its basic supply and demand really, thats why.. they aren't one of the brands that most people think of when you mention electric guitar manufacturers.
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
I have never owned one, so my post was all just an assumption. If your guitar is built fine, then that's awesome, you have a nice guitar for cheap.
Quote by TheAbsentOne
I have never owned one, so my post was all just an assumption. If your guitar is built fine, then that's awesome, you have a nice guitar for cheap.

Heh i'm not sure, mine is a standard discontinued X40 from a couple of years ago. It apparently retailed for 500 quid (i got it off ebay, near-mint conidition second hand for 100) ? which is strange seeing as you can get a pro model (with pickups OP named) for 350+

Move along.

Quote by steve_muse
Washburn is a big company that has been around for a very long time. They may have inked deals with a number of pickup manufacturers long ago for a sweet price that enable them to offer better pickups in less expensive guitars. It isn't unusual. B.C. Rich has a very attractive deal with Rockfield pickups and offer them as stock in a lot f their guitars and basses.

It should also make you stop and think about just how much those name brand pickups really cost to produce. We may be paying an exorbitant markup when we buy them as replacements for stock pickups. Hey, it works for furniture manufacturers...
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by consecutive e
Probably by cheaping out on other hardware and using cheaper wood.

Wrong
Schecter basically sell the same type of thing as washburn but for double the price. Some people even prefer the washburns but because the schecter name has become so big they've upped the price but there isnt realy much difference between schecter and washburn.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Wrong
Schecter basically sell the same type of thing as washburn but for double the price. Some people even prefer the washburns but because the schecter name has become so big they've upped the price but there isnt realy much difference between schecter and washburn.

This is pretty much the case in the UK. Schecter's popularity really did increase with avenged sevenfold's endoresment

Move along.

Quote by steve_muse
Schecter used to be around the same price of washburn maybe a bit more but the main difference is they've increased there price by around 200-300 and washburn have kept there price roughly the same.

The washburn x50 pros used to be had for 299 at a deal in gak years ago while schecters at the time where about 400. In recent times schecters have gone up past the 600,700,800 mark because people will pay it however there really more or less the same quality wise.

Also in the USA a schecter costs about the same as what a washburn would here..
anyone ripping on the build quality of washburn needs to go play one.

they are very good guitars for the money, a low demand for them drives the price down.

and they get the pickups in bulk, so the price they pay is a fraction of what someone buying a set of pick ups pays.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
^ yeah. while they're not as nice as e.g. a huber, the washburns I've tried (the older korean made ones, wi65pro, x50pro etc.) were very nice guitars and easily the equal of schecters at half as much again or twice the price. In fact I preferred the washburns.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
They're built pretty well, and I like their designs. I have WI-64, which is a mid-level guitar, its pretty nice, but the hardware is starting to rust..but Florida is pretty humid. I also have Schecter C-1+ which I got for the same price($400), which I prefer, it plays nicer and sounds better.

So are Washburns really cheap in Europe or are schecters really expensive? Or both? They're about the same where I live
Companies that are big like Washburn buy so many pick ups from a company they get very good deals on them. Say a pup goes for $50.00 retail they buy 5000 of them and get them for 15 or 20 ea. wholesale.
Quote by im_bored
They're built pretty well, and I like their designs. I have WI-64, which is a mid-level guitar, its pretty nice, but the hardware is starting to rust..but Florida is pretty humid. I also have Schecter C-1+ which I got for the same price($400), which I prefer, it plays nicer and sounds better.

So are Washburns really cheap in Europe or are schecters really expensive? Or both? They're about the same where I live

Theres like a £200-£300 difference between a washburn and schecter. Some schecters are even like £800. While the comparable schecter model to the washburn is 600. the washburn is 350-400 generally.
Quote by im_bored

both, i'd say. you pay over the odds here for schecter (ditto LTD), while washburn are pretty good value here.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Personally, I've never had any problems with my X-3 Series Washburn. Even the stock pick-ups they supply are surprisingly good. Do yourself a favor and at least try one out.
I had a Korean Washburn Dimebag Stealth for a short time and I can guarantee if it didn't weigh so much I would still have it. It was a very, very well made instrument that played great. Gregs1020 hit it above; Washburn don't have as big of a following so they go for a little less. Some of their choices in distribution, marketing (IE hardly any at all) also impact their prices.

While the idea of companies sacrificing on material and build quality for better pickups and fancier trim/finishes isn't incorrect, pretty much everyone does it too. It's the world of low end guitars that are made in China and Korea (also part of the reason they're cheaper). You're gonna be cutting corners somewhere to get the price down, either on how it's made or the parts going into it, where it's made impacting both.
Quote by adj209
The build quality of mine is fine. I think its basic supply and demand really, thats why.. they aren't one of the brands that most people think of when you mention electric guitar manufacturers.

I'd say this too, my buddy got a Washburn DD61(which is apparently a low-end model) for, like, $500 new, and it has a FR, Grover tuners, and two Washburn pickups, and it sounds amazing for pretty much anything(which is good for him since he listens to everything from John Butler to Meshuggah). Weighs a ton, but the build quality seems good, better than his other guitars at least. =P
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.