Alright so I was jamming today with a drummer and a bassist, and the drummer was really loud and on an acoustic drum kit. Anyway I was playing on a Line 6 Flextone (not mine) and I was experimenting with it. Anyway, I had it on full gain, full treble, full bass, full middle, and full volume, and the feedback was horrible at full volume. It wouldn't stop screaming horribly. So I tried this Marshall 100 watt valvestate combo, and that too, screamed horribly. In the end I settled to use a small Roland amp, which meant I wasn't heard particularly well over the drummer even though it was full volume.

I want to know what's the cause of the horrible feedback, how I can stop it and another thing is, whenever I'm playing my guitar (which is a Jackson RR3 Rhoads) when I stop playing and take my hand away from the strings, it starts feeding back over time, so the only way to stop it is to put my hands back on the strings?

Why is this happening? as you can guess, I'm quite unknowledgeable when it comes to feedback,, so help me out?

Thanks
Quote by kerkhammet
Alright so I was jamming today with a drummer and a bassist, and the drummer was really loud and on an acoustic drum kit. Anyway I was playing on a Line 6 Flextone (not mine) and I was experimenting with it. Anyway, I had it on full gain, full treble, full bass, full middle, and full volume, and the feedback was horrible at full volume. It wouldn't stop screaming horribly. So I tried this Marshall 100 watt valvestate combo, and that too, screamed horribly. In the end I settled to use a small Roland amp, which meant I wasn't heard particularly well over the drummer even though it was full volume.

I want to know what's the cause of the horrible feedback, how I can stop it and another thing is, whenever I'm playing my guitar (which is a Jackson RR3 Rhoads) when I stop playing and take my hand away from the strings, it starts feeding back over time, so the only way to stop it is to put my hands back on the strings?

Why is this happening? as you can guess, I'm quite unknowledgeable when it comes to feedback,, so help me out?

Thanks

I think i've found your problem
Quote by AxSilentxLine

+1
The EQ is there for a reason.
Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?

http://www.youtube.com/user/Joeseffel

Quote by smcstoronto1234

So very true...
Quote by AxSilentxLine

Don't be daft, everything maxed out means MOAR TOANZ

Seriously though, ignoring the horrible handling of amp settings: when playing loud, you need a noise gate. Otherwise you get feedback from the interaction between the speakers and the guitar
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
No I'm not a troll,

Alright now that I look at how you've highlighted what you've said about putting everything on full, but I'm not saying that's my tone, I'm just saying surely an amp should be able to handle itself without massive feedback if I put everything on full?
Quote by kerkhammet
No I'm not a troll,

Alright now that I look at how you've highlighted what you've said about putting everything on full, but I'm not saying that's my tone, I'm just saying surely an amp should be able to handle itself without massive feedback if I put everything on full?

See above
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Quote by kerkhammet
No I'm not a troll,

Just because the knobs CAN go to 10 doesn't mean they should. This tells me you need a better amp, but the Flextone is a pretty decent amp I am struggling to comprehend why you needed it on full volume. Is your drummer The Hulk by any chance?
answer: you're too close to the bloody amp. volume down and take 3 steps away from it and it WON'T have feedback. simple.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
I, too, can't comprehend why you needed everything on full. Seriously.

As already mentioned, you'd need something along the lines of a gate. Also where you stand in relation to the amp matters.

If not, maybe check if your pickups are microphonic?
Fender Highway 1 Strat
Agile Septor Pro 725

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Axe-Fx Ultra

Trust me, I'm a medical student
If you wanna be heard through the drums, then you don't want to raise the volume. You should raise the mids. Maybe, you could tell your drummer to calm down on how hard he punches the skin too. :p
Quote by Kalo Hanaka
If you wanna be heard through the drums, then you don't want to raise the volume. You should raise the mids. Maybe, you could tell your drummer to calm down on how hard he punches the skin too. :p

His mids are on full. Everything is on full. He's doing it wrong
Quote by Kalo Hanaka
Maybe, you could tell your drummer to calm down on how hard he punches the skin too. :p

exactly, at rehearsal he doesn't have to kill the poor things, at show's it's fine, rehearsals not so much
Quote by theogonia777
Lefthandedkid is super awesome, ja?

Quote by rgrockr
I guess fire extinguishers have to be filled with something other than fire retardant now, because apparently that's offensive.

Watch my stream?
It can be any of multiple things causing your problem.

First thing's first - How close are you to the amp?

Are you using a cheap cable? Is your cable damaged?

Most often, feedback is gain/distance related. If there's enough gain involved and you're playing in the bedroom or garage, or even some basements etc. - You'll never be able to put the proper amount of distance between you and the amp.

If it's nothing to do with either of these last 2, then it's your guitar. Most likely something to do with the pickups or wiring.

A rising problem - Your RR3 - Was it from the indonesia, china, or korea line? - Recently found in several guitars from the low-mid range lines from any of these three suppliers, that depending on how short handed the manufacturer is (lot of strikes n such in the last few years) - they've often been caught using wire nuts instead of soldering the assembly. Pop the cover off in the back and take a quik look. Even some small shops and a couple of guitar center horror stories have involved this very same problem as well.

Check your hardware. Alot of the new ('02-'10) assembly have input jacks that actually screw into the internal assembly. More-so than ever before. I think this is for easy assembly purposes. (Much like the wire-nut problem)

If all this other stuff checks out - It may be your pickups/seating. - Often times we've used fabric, like felt or even foam. Remove/lift the pickup, cut a piece of material to size/shape and place it into/onto the surface that the pickup sits. This can provide cushion and a way to fill any space left from production flaws. - The slightest movement of your pickups can cause feedback, among other gawful noises. In many cases, you wouldn't think it would be this, but the amount of movement involved usually can't really be detected visibly, at least not without aid.

In the end, if all else fails, just get a Boss NS-2. Works like a charm
'08 Shecter C1+ w/jb-jazz
'10 LTD Deluxe EC1000 w/Blackouts
Peavey 6505+
Peavey cab
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
ISP Decimator

Lefty