Poll Options
View poll results: ? :)
Yes
23 41%
No
33 59%
Voters: 56.
Social developpement. Environnement.

You cannot really control your level of maturity. It's a byproduct of your education, your social environnement, your own developpement...
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
You can't force it. Look at Carlie Sheen.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Well, you can but sometimes when circumstances change for worse (like a parent dying) you have to take up more responsabilities so it's usually more a question of what happens around you, your upbringing, circumstances, etc.
The clock strikes midnight
When tomorrow and today collide
The moon is at its highest
And the twilight seems fitting
For in these moments
The light at the end of the world
Shines like a thousand suns....

Victor Gutierrez
No. I believe you can be mature without acting like Mr. Serious though. I act extremely nice and serious at work but when I'm just with friends I dick around. Part of being mature is knowing when and where you can joke around and act at ease.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
I think so. The way I see it is the difference between being mature and immature is defined by the choice of your actions, which is in your control.
Spin round carousel
When your horse isn't screwed in

I II III VI:1 VI:2
You can't control your maturity, it's defined by your nature and nurture.
You can, however, control how mature others will find you are by simply behaving your age.
No, maturity is a collection of experiences that you gather throughout life by learning from mistakes. There's no real substitution for that.
no. something may happen that forces you to grow in maturity (greater responsibilities in a little amount of time, such as deaths of parent ( s ) ) but i dont see how you can control that on your own.
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
in short: i dont think you can.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Quote by joshua029
no. something may happen that forces you to grow in maturity (greater responsibilities in a little amount of time, such as deaths of parent ( s ) ) but i dont see how you can control that on your own.

This, with the addition that even if you could cause events to happen that might force a person to "mature faster" there's no guarantee that person would mature. They could always do the opposite and continue being immature or even become more immature.
Quote by Wondergaurd
The Strat/Tele debate is alot like picking a starter in Pokemon, each is great at something and can cover other fields well, it's just what they do good and great that makes 'em different
Quote by JeanMi36
Social developpement. Environnement.

You cannot really control your level of maturity. It's a byproduct of your education, your social environnement, your own developpement...

True. A 10 year old who lives on a deserted island for 20 years will still act like a 10 year old when they are re-introduced to society. Experiences = maturity. That said, 20 years on an island will give you plenty of time to contemplate maturity, but without education and exposure will hamper your ability to contemplate at a higher level...

I hope this makes sense.... I don't really know what makes sense and what doesn't atm. In other news, I think my typing speed has increased tenfold, but I may or may not be under the influence of alcohol right now.

edit: Development has one P. Even I know that and I'm heavily intoxicated atm. Thank god for Firefox spell-check.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
Last edited by breadstick at Aug 20, 2010,
It depends... More times than not it's just knowing when to shut your mouth,
I pride myself on my humility.
You can force yourself to have a more mature mentality, which will develop into you being more mature, but you cant just think "I'm going to be mature now." and have it actually work. You have to figure out what being mature is to you, then change to a mentality that will procreate your maturity.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
In response to the initial question proposed by the TS, I do not believe maturity can be forced upon one's self. As JeanMi36 so insight-fully said, maturity is determined by one's life experience, rather than one's age. If one grows up around a mature community, then one is more likely to inherit more mature attitudes as compared to their counterparts. The ability to force maturity on one's self depends on one's knowledge of life.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
Quote by breadstick
True. A 10 year old who lives on a deserted island for 20 years will still act like a 10 year old when they are re-introduced to society. Experiences = maturity. That said, 20 years on an island will give you plenty of time to contemplate maturity, but without education and exposure will hamper your ability to contemplate at a higher level...

I hope this makes sense.... I don't really know what makes sense and what doesn't atm. In other news, I think my typing speed has increased tenfold, but I may or may not be under the influence of alcohol right now.

edit: Development has one P. Even I know that and I'm heavily intoxicated atm. Thank god for Firefox spell-check.

Eh, not always, I've met people that have a pretty low education level and they are still some of the nicest and most respectful people I know.

I think maturity comes from your manners, and your religion, when you understand your morals and you have manners, and you know where you stand as a person, then that'll dictate how mature you are.