I've been playing guitar for a little over a year and a half and am looking to pick up bass as well. I'll probably be playing some rock (muse, pink floyd, etc) but my rig must be decent for all types of metal, traditional, thrash, death, etc. I am looking at getting a Peavey Millennium and a Marshall MB15. I have a couple questions though. Do most death metal bassists use picks or their fingers? Also, do a lot of bands use 5 string basses? I know most bands with 7 string guitars do, but outside of that I'm not sure.
Real Bassist use their fingers. (Cliff Burton, Geddy Lee, Roger Waters. Steve Harris)
I win. Get Raped Pussy Pick-Using Bass Players! Bwahahahah
How many guitar players does it take to change a light bulb?

Twelve. One to change the bulb and eleven to say they could do it better.

5-string bass is quite popular recently, the bassist in my band uses it well while both guitarists use 6-string guitars.

Most death metal bassists use a pick because it's harder-hitting. I don't know whether it's faster than using fingers or not. A lot of "elitist" bassists say that you should use fingers, but it's down to preference. Don't be afraid to use a pick if thats what YOU feel comfortable with!
Quote by NickGiovanni
Real Bassist use their fingers. (Cliff Burton, Geddy Lee, Roger Waters. Steve Harris)

Please fuck off. *reported*
Quote by NickGiovanni

Bloody guitarists...

Anyway, using fingers of pick is all preference. I use both, depending on what the song calls for. Fingers may be easier for string skipping and gives a smoother sound. A pick on the other hand may make it easier for alternate picking and gives a much more cutting tone. However, you don't NEED a pick to cut through in metal/rock music, here's a handy guide on cutting through using fingers, and just generally playing fingerstyle in metal.

As for using a five string, again it's all up to you. That B can really come in handy for going lower and fattening up the sound of the band. Also having extra strings also brings economy of motion (having more notes in one place on the fretboard, so you don't tire as much stretching for notes and have more options to play).
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Troll is warned.

Pick or fingers, both are acceptable. Look at it as a ways to achieve a certain sound.
I don't like the sound I get from a pick but I use it from time to time to keep up with my guitars on some fast stuff. As for death metal bassists there is none better than Alex Webster. But do what's more comfortable. I find using fingers allows me to groove a bit more easily. Just a matter of preference.
haha, i don't use fingers really or pick, i slap mostly and it definatley gives interesting tone to stuff that isnt originally a slap song, such as playing schism by tool by slapping, it's fun but your thumb hurts after a while...lol and if you pop too you'll get a killer blister on that finger the first week or so.

but i'd say go 5 string definately, but make sure you have lowered action or you wont be happy with it after coming from guitar. but really thats personal preference, but i started out as a guitarist and moved to bassist and my cheap kramer bass had high action and i hated playing it at first.

Guitarist for 11+ years
Bassist for 6+ years
Drummer for 5+ months

PSN account - DeadAimHeadshot
A pick really doesn't fit a lot of styles imo. Just so happens those styles usually have the best/most audible bassists. Most non-prog metal bassists use picks for the speed. There's some (DiGorgio and Malone are best examples) fingerstyle that use fingerstyle to great effect.

As a guitar player who recently realised he was a bassist, I gotta recommend fingers. No offense, but I find pick much easier (3 years of guitar will do that). Plus finger tone > pick tone, again obv imo.
Honestly. I hate picks. I can't stand playing with them. Playing with a pick on a bass just makes me feel like a guitarist. And I ain't no guitarist. Im a bassist, plain and simple.

However, ive always felt that in trying to find the right tone for you, EQ and settings is your "go-to" guy. You dont NEED a pick to cut through more. Just raise treble settings and lower bass a little and voila (along with some other settings changes, maybe even strings).

If you want a bright sound, get bright strings. Simple. There is nothing wrong with playing with a pick, its all preferance. I just hate the suckers and it doesnt feel right. I like keeping things that are *exclusive* to the bass, well, exclusive which is why I play with fingers (yeah I know, flamenco guitarists use fingers but its just not the same as bass).

As for the string issue, get the 5 string simply ebcause you cant go wrong with it. An extra string never hurt anybody, only helped them. You never when you'll need it, or worse, imo, WANT it. I say go for the 5.
pinga
I would get a Six string bass, because even if most music you find yourself playing only requires 4 strings, you might come across a track with the extra strings, so I would get a six string just to be safe.

Hope that Helped^_^
hi people the other day i bought a bass i dno why because i play 6th string guitar and just wonderd i enyof you would help me get started by telling me some stuff i need to kno ?
Quote by mat 5haw
hi people the other day i bought a bass i dno why because i play 6th string guitar and just wonderd i enyof you would help me get started by telling me some stuff i need to kno ?

There's a really great FAQ thread sticked at the top of the forum.