I've started giving lessons to my friend (not charging as he is first student/guinea pig) and I was wondering if I should be teaching him the fundamentals of theory straight away?

So far I have taught him the names of the strings and given him some very simple picking exercises, I also showed him how to read tablature (like when it's a chord and when it's an arpeggio) and we're trying to play the intro to "Iron Man" using only the bass notes (figured we would incorporate the 5th once he's mastered it).

Rather than get bogged down with the details i've told him just to focus on fret numbers and plucking the strings correctly. He asks questions about the "how" and the "why" and I feel like explaining it to him after just 2 weeks is gonna be worthless. Obviously this shows he is interested in understanding the concepts behind the music, how soon should we begin the theoretical side of things? I was thinking once he can play the intro to the song and has that under his belt then we can start with note names and things like that, I don't want him to get "bored" and stop.
My personal opinion is that everyone should be taught all that while we wait in our mothers belly... studying theory just takes all my time nowadays.
Teach the songs through tab, then write out the same songs in standard notation so he understands how it all works.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
I think you should answer whatever questions he has and use your judgment on when to teach him certain things and how long to spend on a topic.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Who's going to stop you? The music police?
IMO, one of the first theory lessons should be the most basic: Knowing what 4/4 time is, being able to count it out loud, tap your foot and strum and/or pick at the same time. I also play songs on my mp3 player for my students and make them tap the beat with their foot and you would be surprised at how many people can't do this at first. Later I make them count actual beats in the song(being able to identify where all the beat 1's are happening). Have fun teaching you friend
Quote by Calibos
I've started giving lessons to my friend (not charging as he is first student/guinea pig) and I was wondering if I should be teaching him the fundamentals of theory straight away?

So far I have taught him the names of the strings and given him some very simple picking exercises, I also showed him how to read tablature (like when it's a chord and when it's an arpeggio) and we're trying to play the intro to "Iron Man" using only the bass notes (figured we would incorporate the 5th once he's mastered it).

Rather than get bogged down with the details i've told him just to focus on fret numbers and plucking the strings correctly. He asks questions about the "how" and the "why" and I feel like explaining it to him after just 2 weeks is gonna be worthless. Obviously this shows he is interested in understanding the concepts behind the music, how soon should we begin the theoretical side of things? I was thinking once he can play the intro to the song and has that under his belt then we can start with note names and things like that, I don't want him to get "bored" and stop.

IMO, a person should have experience playing music on their chosen instrument and the ability to read standard notation before getting into music theory. It's also very helpful if the person is legitimately interested in the subject. (which often develops after a certain amount of playing experience).
shred is gaudy music