Page 1 of 2
Alright I bought a Blackstar ht-5 mini stack based on everyone's reviews of ear spliting highs and powerful sound. When I got it I plugged it all in and put it on stand-by for it to warm up. After about a minute I turned the power on. The sound is quite muffled and I can't get it to sound not muffled even if I play with the eq and the isf thing. Is it just me? I still think it sounds quite good but it doesn't sound righ to me and certainly doesn't have 'ear splitting highs'. Anything I can do to help it? Speaker cables or anything like that?

Thanks
It could be bad tubes but the HT-5 has always been lacking IMO

You could try a boost like a Bad Monkey, and I have also heard that the stock tubes take a long time to heat up properly. I have heard from many people that it sounds better after about half an hour.

EDIT: you are using proper speaker cable to connect the cab/s right?
That's exactly how it sounded to me - muffled and nasally. It's just not a great amp. This is why you try things out extensively before buying them.

There's not a lot you can do that's going to be worth the expense. I'd return it if you can. If you can't, new tubes are the first place to start.
Quote by AxSilentxLine
It could be bad tubes but the HT-5 has always been lacking IMO

You could try a boost like a Bad Monkey, and I have also heard that the stock tubes take a long time to heat up properly. I have heard from many people that it sounds better after about half an hour.

EDIT: you are using proper speaker cable to connect the cab/s right?

Yep the guy at the store gave me 2 pairs of speaker cables
What tubes do you recommend for Metallica and Iron maiden sounds? I might buy a overdrive pedal for it aswell.
Also people are saying the amp is really quiet when you stop playing but with the gain at about 8 and the volume about 12 o'clock it is making quite a lot of noise
You have the gain at 8 o clock or 8/10? If it's on 8/10 you should know why it's noisy. Tubes aren't going to drastically change you amp sound. If you can't get a Metallica or Maiden tone out of that thing (you really should be able to), maybe you have the wrong amp for you.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
The main problem will be the cab, the Blackstar 1x10's won't sound great by any stretch of the imagination, you want a good 1x12 or 2x12. Secondly you want a good OD and/or EQ to tighten up the sound, and find the right sound for what you are looking for. My advice is to keep the ISF to the left on the American voiced side, as it sounds better IMO, even for British Marshall styled tones. As previously mentioned the tubes need a good while to warm up on this amp. Leave it on standby for 10 minutes and then play.
#ENTITLED
WENGER OUT!!!

lastfm
Ok thanks for the info I will try it out after. What OD and/or EQ pedal (?) do you recommend
The sound is quite muffled and I can't get it to sound not muffled even if I play with the eq and the isf thing.

That’s just the HT5. I don’t know how these amps got all those great reviews.

Quote by UKMaster
Also people are saying the amp is really quiet when you stop playing but with the gain at about 8 and the volume about 12 o'clock it is making quite a lot of noise

If you’re getting noise with the gain at 8:00 either you got a bad amp or it’s picking up a ton of interference.

I have heard from many people that it sounds better after about half an hour.

Those people are crazy. Tubes in use are going to heat up in a few minutes even if the heaters don’t work. It’s not like there’s some magic circuit that can allow a tube to ignore the laws of physics and operate without getting hot.
Quote by UKMaster
Ok thanks for the info I will try it out after. What OD and/or EQ pedal (?) do you recommend

How about neither and just play with your settings?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by jpnyc
If you’re getting noise with the gain at 8:00 either you got a bad amp or it’s picking up a ton of interference.

Those people are crazy. Tubes in use are going to heat up in a few minutes even if the heaters don’t work. It’s not like there’s some magic circuit that can allow a tube to ignore the laws of physics and operate without getting hot.

What do you mean by 'bad amp' and it would have no interference because nothing is turned on in my room.... actually it is where the home hub is kept. Is that it?
Maybe it is the cables because he also gave me a guitar cable and I thought it sounded worse than the other cable so I changed back to my old one. Maybe he gave me some cheap speaker cables?
Oh I think I know why it sounds so bad. He gave me some stagg speaker cables (crap?) The stagg guitar cable was really bad so the speaker ones are probably just as bad! Shall I try and change them?
Did you really just make a quadruple post? WTF are you doing?

You could try a new speaker cable, although if the sound is bad, the sound is bad. I'd return it if you aren't satisfied with the tone.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by UKMaster
Oh I think I know why it sounds so bad. He gave me some stagg speaker cables (crap?) The stagg guitar cable was really bad so the speaker ones are probably just as bad! Shall I try and change them?

I seriously doubt that's the problem...wishful thinking imo.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Hmm.... it's just that it's got such good reviews so I thought it could sound better somehow and sorry for the quad post!
What did you learn? Use your ears, not your eyes to buy music gear. Somebody's 10 could be your 2 or 3.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
^ Exactly. Amps like the feckin MG get good reviews. Most of us know that's obviously not the case.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
well i dont know but i was in my local guitar shop b4 4months or so... tested like 10 pactice amps and HT-5 won for sure... my HT-5 combo got very good sound... just spend some time and check EQ and ISF and ull have pretty good sound for practice
Yeah, when I played with it IN THE PLATINUM ROOM at GC, I didn't like it at all. And I was playing through a goddamn Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Quote by jpnyc
The sound is quite muffled and I can't get it to sound not muffled even if I play with the eq and the isf thing.

Dumbass teenagers. That's how.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by jpnyc

I don't think he means 8:00, I think he means 8 out of 10.
I just messed around with the eq and now it sounds a bit better. Turns out the ISF knob was loose so I pushed it quite hard and I heard a click and then turned it to the left and now it sounds much better. I think it was stuck on the right! Plus I messed around with the eq and it sounds a bit better now.
That's because you bought something "based on everyone's reviews". The HT-5 is terribly, terribly overrated.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by UKMaster
Yep the guy at the store gave me 2 pairs of speaker cables
Why would you need four speaker cables?
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by jpnyc

Ug is weird. One minute the HT5 is the best thing ever, the next everyones saying it's 'not that great'.
Quote by Zoot Allures
Ug is weird. One minute the HT5 is the best thing ever, the next everyones saying it's 'not that great'.
Bandwagons are interesting.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

^^ It's just bandwaggonry. Lots of people will say it's a poor amp, but the vast number of uninformed idiots recommending it negates any good it might have done.

The same thing went on with the Tiny Terror and look how long it took people to catch on to that racket.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by Kanthras
Bandwagons are interesting.

This better not happen to my beloved Jet City.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Quote by NosralTserrof
This better not happen to my beloved Jet City.
I doubt it, those are simply good amps for the price and I think they're here to stay.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

^ That amp at least has Mike Soldano as leverage.

The Jet City is nice...I tried it out while I was shopping for amps (ended up with my Rebel 20). I'm willing to bet that only 5/6 people who recommend it on these forums haven't played it though.

The Jet City may be a good amp, but there are certain things that people fail to mention. The lack of a second channel, reverb, and an FX loop severely limit its versatility. The amp is certainly not as great as the raving reviews on this forum make it out to be.

Just because the JCA20 is a pretty good amp, doesn't mean that its not a bandwagon on these forums. There haven't been nearly enough JCA NADs to warrant the massive amount of raving reviews we see every day on these forums.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Last edited by SLonergan at Aug 20, 2010,
Quote by SLonergan
The Jet City is nice...I tried it out while I was shopping for amps (ended up with my Rebel 20). I'm willing to bet that only 5/6 people who recommend it on these forums haven't played it though.

The Jet City may be a good amp, but there are certain things that people fail to mention. The lack of a second channel, reverb, and an FX loop severely limit its versatility. The amp is certainly not as great as the raving reviews on this forum make it out to be.

Just because the JCA20 is a pretty good amp, doesn't mean that its not a bandwagon on these forums. There haven't been nearly enough JCA NADs to warrant the massive amount of raving reviews we see every day on these forums.
It's probably due to a few old timers having it and drooling all over the little blue thing.

Also, AM didn't help with his way too enthusiastic post about those official mods.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Maybe if I swap out the cabs and the tubes? Apparently the tubes it comes with are not very good. And it has 'self biasing' so i don't need to worry since I am not very good with electrics and stuff! and the cabs apparently 'Don't do the amp justice'. Maybe it's just wishful thinking but what do you guys think. It definately sounds better in the video I posted and some others on youtube aswell!
Quote by SLonergan

Oh please, you don't need any of that shit.

Quote by bubb_tubbs
Oh please, you don't need any of that shit.
No, you can make do without them. But it's so massively convenient to have them that it's a big downside to the Jet City.

Besides, an FX loop definitely is necessary if you want post preamp effects. Most people do.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

^ Unless they're rack effects or pedals SPECIFICALLY attuned to the signal level in a loop they're not going to function as intended anyways, so having a loop is completely and utterly pointless for most players.

It's a novelty more than anything else.

Page 1 of 2