Poll: Should I take the Class?
Poll Options
View poll results: Should I take the Class?
Yes!
23 96%
No!
1 4%
Voters: 24.
Hey guys, I was recently invited by one of my professors to join the "Composition Seminar," since I'm not extremely good at explanations, I'll just paste the email so you guys know all that I know.

Hello!

This message is an invitation to join the Composition Seminar, which meets on Fridays from 2:30 to 4 PM in the Seminar Room. More information is below. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best wishes,
Dr. K********

------------
Music 113 -- Composition Seminar

Composition Seminar is offered as a limited-enrollment, by-permission-of-instructor course as a general music elective. The course is designed primarily for students who intend a Theory or Composition major, but is open to other students who demonstrate sufficient interest and aptitude. The course meets on Fridays from 2:30 - 4:00 PM in the Seminar Room. Friday meetings consist of listening to and analyzing recent compositions, performance of student composition exercises, discussion of topics related to theory and composition, and occasional guest lectures. Enrolled students will complete a final composition project, which will be performed at the final exam session on Friday, December 10.

This Fall, the topic is Percussion and Electroacoustic Music. Visiting professor Dr. T*** L****** will conduct the class approximately every other week; Dr. K******** will host the remaining sessions. We will be looking closely at works by Steve Reich, Edgard Varese, George Antheil, John Cage, Paul Lansky, and others. Enrolled students will complete short exercises utilizing both percussion and electroacoustic resources; final projects may take the form of pieces for solo percussion, percussion ensemble, unaccompanied electronics (i.e., a "tape piece"), or a work combining percussion and electronics.

Interested students should sign up on a listed posted on the Seminar Room door, and are invited to contact Dr. K******** by e-mail with any further questions.

I was invited along with 12 other people to participate this semester, and I want your guys' opinion on whether I should go for it or not.

The upsides are obvious, its an invitational thing and I was invited, so whether or not I actually benefit from it; if I accept, it will look good to the Professors that I'm willing to try whatever is put in front of me. Plus the obvious benefit of improving composition skills.

The downsides are really twofold, but I guess they could seem petty:
1) the less-serious one, I suppose. I have a girlfriend (dating for 3 years) back in my hometown and she will not be happy that my Friday days will be extended from 2:30 (which was when my last class, Psychology-101 let out) to 4 on weekends when I had planned to come home (the drive home from school is about 3 hours).

2) I have never once composed ANYTHING. My professor of theory (the one who sent the email) has told me I'm very good at analysis (both harmonic and thematic) but I have never composed anything, I have attempted composition before, but none of my attempts have resulted in anything. Also, to add to this, I don't really intend on being a composition major. My intended major is Piano Performance

So, with those factors in mind, I'd love to hear your opinions!
Last edited by nmitchell076 at Aug 20, 2010,
1-Be a man TS, you do what you want, if she doesn't like it, well, then **** it and you do it anyway.
2-Just go bro.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
1) don't let go of things you like to do because of a girl. It's your life, you do whatever makes you happy.

2) I'd see that as a pro rather than a con, the less you know the more you'll learn.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Last edited by the bartender at Aug 20, 2010,
Take the class.
Your girlfriend should understand that you're trying to become a better musician and improve your future prospects. If she doesn't, that's her problem and not yours.

It's your education and you should make the most of it. Your professor obviously thinks you are capable and there's nothing wrong with trying your best.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

I'd go, easily. Then again I like composing. They don't have any shorter classes her unfortunately, but a program which I'll be applying to next year.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by nmitchell076
I was invited along with 12 other people to participate this semester, and I want your guys' opinion on whether I should go for it or not.

Go for it. You are part of a specially selected group. The professor (s) obviously see potential in you.
Quote by nmitchell076
The downsides are really twofold, but I guess they could seem petty:
1) the less-serious one, I suppose. I have a girlfriend (dating for 3 years) back in my hometown and she will not be happy that my Friday days will be extended from 2:30 (which was when my last class, Psychology-101 let out) to 4 on weekends when I had planned to come home (the drive home from school is about 3 hours).

3 hours is a hell of a long time to travel to university...Respect for valuing education so highly.
Apart from that, if your girfriend really loves you as would be expected if you've been together for 3 years (well done), she should understand and subsequently understand that you have to stay late to follow your ambitions.
Quote by nmitchell076
2) I have never once composed ANYTHING. My professor of theory (the one who sent the email) has told me I'm very good at analysis (both harmonic and thematic) but I have never composed anything, I have attempted composition before, but none of my attempts have resulted in anything. Also, to add to this, I don't really intend on being a composition major. My intended major is Piano Performance

I believe everyone has the potential to create imaginative substance. Unleash the creativity man. I had the same doubts until just a couple of months ago, then I resumed university, and I became way more productive creatively because my mind was being stimulated.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
take the class tell your girl friend to **** off if she gets mad. She is not paying for your education...and if she is then you better get damn good at oral..
In all honesty you have to do what's right for you. It sounds like a great opportunity to grow as a musician and as a person. If she doesn't support you then I'm not sure why you're with her. Relationships aren't 50/50. Sometimes she needs more attention, and sometimes you need more attention. This is your time. Take the class, but remember the give and take when she wants to pursue something that you might not be particularly supportive of in the future.
You said yourself you're not very good at composing. Maybe the class will help you out a little

Disclaimer: By reading the above post, you agree that El Hilliaro is legally and morally free from any responsiblity should any harm be incurred by said post.

Also, you agree that I'm awesome and own all your stuff now.