The palm of my fretting hand is usually on the lower strings to prevent them from ringing, but I realized that I was also using it to gain stability (that's anchoring, right) and I read that anchoring was bad?
It's one of those hotly debating issues. I see MAB and Rusty Cooley anchoring, doesn't hamper them in the slightest.

Also, I think you meant to say that the palm of your PICKING hand is on the lower strings? That's fine, I used to do it with my Les Paul. I play an RG nowadays which is a lower profile, that's when I stopped. Makes no difference to my playing either way, do what you're comfortable with!

EDIT: Obviously take the hand away when you're playing those lower strings, but it's fine to anchor like that when you're not playing them. The only "side-effect" is that the sweat from your hand may wear down your strings a little quicker
Last edited by SilverSpurs616 at Aug 20, 2010,
i do the same thing but i dont think its bad, never has affected with my playing anyway
It's all a matter of what feels good and sounds good, man. In music, nothing is wrong, unless you have the wrong notes. You've gotta play to feel comfortable, and that in turn will make you sound better.
Hey look, a stoner/doom album.

GENERATION 27: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

E-father of TheSPillow/Sam
E-brothers with Entity0009
Anchoring Is Fine!! Let The World Know It Is Not A Big Deal Whoever Says It Is, Is Just Trying To Sound Smart
Quote by jaredhyslop123
Anchoring Is Fine!! Let The World Know It Is Not A Big Deal Whoever Says It Is, Is Just Trying To Sound Smart

You're wrong. Also, ALL CAPS won't work.
It is simple biology, if you anchor, you wont have full range of your pivot point (wrist) as there's a finger not moving. Hence, less speed and more chances of injury. Don't do it.
As for the TS's question, assuming by lower you mean lower in pitch (closest to your head. ) There's no harm whatsoever in using your picking hand to mute them. Just make sure you don't press too hard and "anchor" yourself to one position.
TL;DR Anchoring is bad, but muting with your picking hand isn't a bad technique at all, just don't press down. It only takes a brush to stop the vibrations.
"2,000,000 NPS Whores" club.
Appreciating the beauty of music so fast it blows puny mortal's faces off.
Bow down to teh Shredzor!
PM La Qotsa if you want to join. No emotion? Pah!
Anchoring is fine if it doesn’t interfere with your playing. And if it does you can just move your hand. It’s just one of those things uptight music teachers like to complain about to punish students for not caring about the obscure adult contemporary jazz guitar players they learned about at music college. Sort of like people who claim that slowing songs down to learn to play them is cheating, but using a metronome at 72bpm is just fine.
Whoever says slowing down songs to learn how to play them is cheating is a fucking idiot. As for anchoring, it all depends on how technically adept you want to be at guitar. It wont hamper you up to a point (but it will make you more injury prone due to the mechanics of it.) but if you wish to progress past this point it will be extremely difficult and risky.
"2,000,000 NPS Whores" club.
Appreciating the beauty of music so fast it blows puny mortal's faces off.
Bow down to teh Shredzor!
PM La Qotsa if you want to join. No emotion? Pah!
Quote by SilverSpurs616
Rusty Cooley anchoring

... come again?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Yeah its completely fine. I have been learning from a professional teacher for a few years and he taught me to anchor when soloing to prevent feedback. You need to do this also when sweeping. If you dont completely mute the lower strings then the sweeps wont come out at all.