i would like to do this...but how many watts of guitar amp to equal equivalent on bass? ex: 100w guitar head = 100w bass head?

im interested in using an all tube guitar amp for this but unsure of wattage... i dont need anything loud...im playing in a 60s kinda band...very beatles influenced indie rock... was looking at 100w solid state bass combos(kustom and acoustic) but keep going back to wanting a tube head through a bass cab...anybody know wattage or size of head i would need?

i checked out the 5watters (epiphone valve jr, kustom defender, blackheart little giant, vox ac4tv(4watts)...itd be nice to use one of these(as they are around $100) i read a review where a bassist ran the epiphone valve jr through his bass cabs(his head broke) and it worked for the gig
On Paper, It's possible. Cab's are essentially just speakers mounted in a cabinet on wheels, and Bass speakers have a wider range of low end then guitar speakers. So it'll work, but you'll probably lose alot of mids and high end
How many guitar players does it take to change a light bulb?

Twelve. One to change the bulb and eleven to say they could do it better.

Recently I bought a Marshall MBC 4x10" 600W bass cab and I play with a Bugera 1960 150W tube guitar head. It sounds awesome. The volume I can get is brutal. Through experience, I decided to match the potency of the amp with the potency of a single speaker of the cab. In my case, 600W:4=150W. I guide my decision through that observation. I can't explain in better but tube guitar head through a bass cab pays off if you want a vintage sound.
what about volume/watts? for now we will probably only be practicing or playing at coffee shops(still with full band)...nothing too big and as long as i can be heard over other instruments im good. i dont need a massively loud amp.

does anyone play with a classic rock (early classic: 67' era) band? what kind of amps do you use? wattage? speaker size? etc...
It's ok to play guitar through a bass cab, it is when it's done the other way round that you can and will run into problems.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by glennick
i checked out the 5watters (epiphone valve jr, kustom defender, blackheart little giant, vox ac4tv(4watts)...itd be nice to use one of these(as they are around $100) i read a review where a bassist ran the epiphone valve jr through his bass cabs(his head broke) and it worked for the gig

i use a valve junior into my swr triad.

it'd perfectly fine to do that, although the tone might not be perfect.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
For Classic Rock and 60's/70's stuff, Look into a Vox.
Vox amps are notorious for that Classic Rock sound. Idk how their cleans are though
How many guitar players does it take to change a light bulb?

Twelve. One to change the bulb and eleven to say they could do it better.

I play hard rock/stoner/doom/70's heavy metal. The Bugera I refered in the other post is a replica of a Marshall Plexi, a classic guitar head used by many known guitarists like Jimi Hendrix or Pete Townshend. Since bass cabs usually have high wattage, you will need a guitar head with 100W-200W. The Bugera is awesome.
I run a 50 watt Laney guitar head into my 4x10.
Sounds great.Volume isn't an issue,and my drummer is LOUD.
Gets a VERY overdriven tube tone.I run a guitar dist pedal and fuzz pedal into it aswell and they really work togehter.For a 60's tone,50-100 watt guitar head will do you great.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
thanks so much. i was really trying to avoid just getting a 200w bass amp. ill look at some 50 - 100 watt heads
so my mother had gotten this from her church during a cleanup and used it for decoration until recently when she said i could have it.

its a Davis 201-A. i googled it but only found a few youtube videos of a guy testing the tubes and another guy playing guitar through it...anyone know how i can mod this to play guitar or possibly bass through it?
Attachments:
DavisFront.jpg
DavisBack2.jpg
DavisBack3.jpg
The important thing is how many watts are the speaker cab rated for and the ohms (4ohms, 8ohms, 16ohms)..

the guitar amp head needs to have lower output wattage than the speaker cab.. EXAMPLE: 400-watt guitar head to 1000watt speaker cab (speaker cab need to be higher than guitar amp head -unless you play low volume).. also need to match the ohms of the speaker.. EXAMPLE: guitar amp head output is 4ohms; speaker rated 4ohms / 8ohms /16ohms are ok. If guitar amp head output is 8hms, the speaker need to be rated 8ohms or 16ohms... a 4ohm speaker will go bad.. and guitar amp head with output 16ohms can only be matched with 16ohms speaker.. unless your able to split the output to many speaker cabs to lower the power strength.
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.