So I was wondering,"what's the difference between good vibrato and bad vibrato?"

Quote by wikipedia
Vibrato is a musical effect consisting of a regular pulsating change of pitch. It is used to add expression to vocal and instrumental music. Vibrato can be characterised by the amount of pitch variation ("depth of vibrato") and speed with which the pitch is varied ("speed of vibrato").

For example: everybody says that Kirk Hammet has "terrible" vibrato, but wouldn't that be part of his style? He's still adding expression to the note right?

What makes Yngwie Malmsteen or MArty Friedman's vibrato amazing?

tl;dr up in this beeatch: Who wants to show me the difference between a "good" vibrato and "bad" vibrato?
I'd imagine "bad" vibrato to be irregular pitch or inconsistent speed of that pitch oscillating. Basically doing it in an uneven manner.
Quote by SilverSpurs616
I'd imagine "bad" vibrato to be irregular pitch or inconsistent speed of that pitch oscillating. Basically doing it in an uneven manner.

this. plus, bad vibratos are easy to spot. they just sound awful.
Quote by guitaristren
tl;dr up in this beeatch: Who wants to show me the difference between a "good" vibrato and "bad" vibrato?

One simple question: do you like the sound of the vibrato?

If yes then it's good, if no it's bad. Simple as.

That being said... good vibrato always sounds like the player is in absolute control of what they're doing, no matter how fast or slow, wide or shallow it is; this is why I think Kirk's vibrato is terrible.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.