I've only been in my current band for a couple of months. They're all great to hang out with and are good at what they do...but I can't help but feel that I just don't belong. Out of the 4 of us I think only me and the vocalist are serious about this and want to try and make a name for ourselves. Me and the bassist are complete oppisiste for what we want to play. I'm really beginning ot have second thoughts on this band.

Now another friend of mine who plays bass is trying to organize aband right now (If I were to join we'd just need a singer) and I know he and I really agree on music. We both love the rock and metal of the 70's, 80's and 90's. We can't stand screamo. etc. But if I were to join his band, that'd leave my other friends without a guitarist...

What should I do? This band i'm currently in is actually affecting my guitar playing to (and not in the good way). I look at my guitar and begn to loath the music that I'm playing for them.
Have a good one,
Phoenix
Cant you join both? After a while, you can then show the other guys that you belong so much more in the band with the bassist you like, and they should understand.
If your not happy with what you are doing, then explain that and leave. If they are decent guys they will understand. If they don't understand, then they aren't very good friends to begin with.
If you're not happy with your current band situation, change it. Maybe give your current band a month or 2 notice before you leave so they can get a new guitarist if you want to stay on good terms with them.
Schecter Hellraiser V1 / Schecter Stiletto Extreme 4 / Gallien Krueger 400RB / Hartke Transporter 4x10 / Digitech BP200 / Pod Studio GX
Refer to 'rule number one'. "If it ain't fun, there's no point in doing it"

It sounds to me like you are not enjoying playing for the first band. If that's the case, you can either try to change the band or leave, and seeing as how you have another band to go to which seems to be more suitable to you, there seems little point in attempting to change the first band.
Besides, if the rest of the first band enjoy what they do, it'd be fairer to them if you left and gave them the opportunity to replace you with someone more suitable to them. But as Mephysteaux just said, it is polite to give a couple of month's notice, especialy if it is a gigging band.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Aug 21, 2010,
join both? purposely be a fail guitarist in your current band and they'll kick u out? fire yourself?