Hello, newbie to the forum looking for a little advice on auditioning. I've been playing bass for about 6 months now and have actually been progressing pretty quickly. I have knowledge of the major/minor/pentatonic scales and can play most "intermediate" level songs.

I am looking to start auditioning for bands asap but really have very little knowledge of how the process works. I'm looking for advice from those that have been through the auditioning process which I can use to be as prepared as possible. Are most auditions just basically improvised jam sessions or should I have some original material prepared to play. Any advice on the process would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
I'd say just be yourself. the band are most likely looking for what you can bring to the table as well as the skills. ask yourself what you can actually do! suggest things whenever you get the option, just show them what you're best at. auditions can vary. Some just watch you and ask you to do something ie;sight read, show some sort of techniques. Other ones just ask you do jam with them, see what comes out. The jamming option is usually the preferable choice.
Do what you feel like, don't shit and remember, if they're douches you don't wanna join.
Quote by 09phillt
Do what you feel like, don't shit and remember, if they're douches you don't wanna join.

And don't be a douche yourself. We all hate 90% bassist for them being such.
Quote by Zeletros
And don't be a douche yourself. We all hate 90% bassist for them being such.

How am I being a douche? It's good advice!
Quote by 09phillt
How am I being a douche? It's good advice!

I suspect he meant "Don't be a douche towards them".

I doubt he meant you're a douche. If he does, I will respectfully edit this post.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Something that can earn you point is if you contact the band you're auditioning for before hand and ask for some of their material, show them at the audition that you can competently play their songs.

Go in with a good attitude, eat a good breakfast, don't get offended by any criticism, and be open and friendly. Bands are looking for members they can get along with, and having auditioned a few band members myself I can tell you that a lot of people would rather take someone with an agreeable, fun personality of average skill, than someone with excellent chops who's volatile and clashes with other band members.

Also, if the band is a gigging band, be confident (but not cocky) and vocal, try not to be too quiet or act nervously. Show that you can have a good presence, and won't get stage fright.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
If you're going to be jamming, be able to follow what the guitar is doing and tastefully embelish on it. This applies for any rock/metal you may be doing.

Also, learn some songs that they know (originals, covers) ask them straight up "Are there any songs I should learn that we can play through?"

And just chill, because if you go into it like a robot like "This is the bass. This is me playing the bass. This is me standing with the bass. This is me doing this cool lick I know because I know it and can play it." You know what I mean? Just relax. You're there to have fun and become friends with the people.

It's not like a job audition. Music is a profession, but if you look at it as work, you'll ruin it.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
Its amazing how many people seem to say "I've been playing for X months and I am progressing quickly..."

Anyway, make sure you know some material suited for the genre of the band, like a few prepared riffs or fills that you can make it look like you made up on the spot. It might be a cheap trick but why not try?

Also, if the band has asked you to learn thoer songs, make sure you learn more than what they tell you, what I mean is, if they ask you to learn 3 particular songs, learn another two to impress them more and to jam for longer if you get the chance.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Quote by Nutter_101
I suspect he meant "Don't be a douche towards them".

I doubt he meant you're a douche. If he does, I will respectfully edit this post.

Oh, I see it now. Cheers.
Quote by Hammerzeit
Be yourself, relax and don't be a dick.

Exactly. Dude, you just need to be focused and dedicated. Bassists are a rarity where I'm at but bands will do without one if you're a dick. Your willingness to learn their music and your progression with the instrument will mostly get you the gig.