Hey I was watching a show a while back and they were talking about how there are teams of people that go through songs and edit the vocals to sound perfect after recording. Apparently most pop-stars aren't that good at singing so teams of people edit certain notes to make them sound better. Does anyone know more about this? Ie; what program can I get that would help do the same for my own vocals? I don't feel very confident in my singing.
that would be cheating just like the pop stars
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by ExOblivione
Melodyne or Auto-tune.

These are the 2 main ones. Auto-Tune is the main one everyone uses since every rapper on the planet uses it in their songs nowadays. Melodyne uses a different algorithm for pitch detection which allows it to isolate the pitch of polyphonic performances (to put it simply, guitar chords and anything where there is more than one pitch).

I've preferred Melodyne over Auto-Tune since I've found it to be more powerful. I wouldn't waste your money on the $100 version of Auto-Tune since its basically meant to do the T-Pain Auto-Tune effect.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by lockwolf
These are the 2 main ones. Auto-Tune is the main one everyone uses since every rapper on the planet uses it in their songs nowadays. Melodyne uses a different algorithm for pitch detection which allows it to isolate the pitch of polyphonic performances (to put it simply, guitar chords and anything where there is more than one pitch).

I've preferred Melodyne over Auto-Tune since I've found it to be more powerful. I wouldn't waste your money on the $100 version of Auto-Tune since its basically meant to do the T-Pain Auto-Tune effect.

Wow, I didn't think they actually released direct note access, I read somewhere that it was a scam to gain publicity! Looks like I'll have to update my version.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Quote by Sonny_sam
Wow, I didn't think they actually released direct note access, I read somewhere that it was a scam to gain publicity! Looks like I'll have to update my version.

I've done direct note editing. Its really nifty. It even works on drum tracks as well.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Melodyne is one of my favorite programs. It's worth the price but be sure to realize that you can't make crap sound great with any program....ya have to be somewhat good from the start.

Most of the singers are actually darn good. You can still use the two main programs to correct and make it pitch perfect but sometimes that's too much added effect or too much work as it is never heard in the full mix.

I find 2+ part harmonies or singers singing the same parts is the best place to use pitch and time correction software like Melodyne. You will hear timing offsets much easier than pitch and Melodyne can correct both.
Last edited by moody07747 at Oct 4, 2010,
You'll probably find that most pop stars are actually very good singers. Yes, they use Melodyne or Autotune, but there is NO room for imperfection in that genre.

Melodyne or not, if you have a crap singer, you will not be able to convince anyone you have a great one.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemancrhis nailed it. especially with how much they layer their vocals, you have to be good to sing the same thing so many times exactly. yeah they can fix the pitch with one of those programs, but there's a lot more to a good vocal performance than just pitch.

there are also programs that will line up your stacks for you so it sounds tighter, but even that isn't used by everyone due to not sounding perfect.

keep in mind that the music industry these days is all about speed. the faster they can get it recorded the better. a good singer/musician will get a song done well 10x faster than a regular ol' person.
Quote by axemanchris
You'll probably find that most pop stars are actually very good singers. Yes, they use Melodyne or Autotune, but there is NO room for imperfection in that genre.

Melodyne or not, if you have a crap singer, you will not be able to convince anyone you have a great one.

CT

I agree here the singer of my band is a greaaaaat singer he preferes to have auto-tune underneath him although he is usually dead on the note or auto-tune is on so low you can't even tell he is using it. Its just a security blanket for him because he knows everyone else uses it and he wants to sound perfect.

Also people going through and editing vocal tracks I bet a good portion of that is making it line up 100%. The human ear sometimes has latency, and sometimes hardware (obviously not much in a professional studio), but if I track someone with a vocal line pitch and emotion wise well heck I just assume I'll in it up for them jsut to get it done faster instead of setting up just to retrack it all.

Demo for auto-tune here: http://www.antarestech.com/download/demoform.php
Not sure which you should get as I use an older one before every rapper used it.

Melodyne Demo: http://www.celemony.com/cms/index.php?id=demo_editor

I will say Melodyne is awesome and prob better, but seems a little harder to use.
Quote by Necronomicon
Hey I was watching a show a while back and they were talking about how there are teams of people that go through songs and edit the vocals to sound perfect after recording. Apparently most pop-stars aren't that good at singing so teams of people edit certain notes to make them sound better. Does anyone know more about this? Ie; what program can I get that would help do the same for my own vocals? I don't feel very confident in my singing.

It's an external effect device (aka Rack) called pitch-shift correct, I'm not sure as to which company produces it though but I'm sure it's used in top notch studios..

It's something like a vocoder but you manipulate every waveform as if it were MIDI notes and you can alter the note to perfection..

That's why all those GaGA bitches sound off on stage..

As long as you have boobs you'll succeed in Pop music, right ?
I put a dollar in a change machine. Nothing changed.
Quote by Necrolust

As long as you have boobs you'll succeed in Pop music, right ?

Wrong.

That is probably the number one "excuse" that men use to justify why they didn't make it. When really, the answer is that they just didn't have the whole package - songs, voice, and image.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote by axemanchris
Wrong.

That is probably the number one "excuse" that men use to justify why they didn't make it. When really, the answer is that they just didn't have the whole package - songs, voice, and image.

CT

I was joking.
I put a dollar in a change machine. Nothing changed.
^ Gotcha.

CT

Quote by axemanchris

So, what you're saying is, the man shouldn't blame it on another singer's boobs, but instead, on his own package.

Aaaaanyway, I read an article in a home recording mag not too long ago on this exact topic. Basically, it's not only just Auto-Tune but also lots and lots of takes, and word/syllable-level cut-and-paste to get the most perfect bits of each performance, strung together for the main vocal track. It's pretty crazy.
Last edited by CarsonStevens at Oct 5, 2010,
"Hey I was watching a show a while back and they were talking about how there are teams of people that go through songs and edit the vocals to sound perfect after recording. Apparently most pop-stars aren't that good at singing so teams of people edit certain notes to make them sound better."

I think editing the vocals or the voice is a cheating.

-------------
dickies medical uniforms in
Last edited by edytharceo at Oct 11, 2010,
I'd venture to suggest that most of them are quite good singers. Why get someone who can't sing when there are zillions of others who can, and of those, probably about a million that meet the criteria of "young, beautiful, and marketable?"

That, and it is less expensive to get someone to record a vocal right in one or two takes than it is to have someone do thirty takes and then spend a day editing.

CT

If you want a free alternative, here's one http://www.gvst.co.uk/gsnap.htm

I can't say how good it is tho. I also know Reaper has one included in it (ReaTune), and I'm sure pretty much every other DAW also has one in it.

The best ones are still Autotune and Melodyne.

Cheating or not, that's how things are done these days. It's just as much cheating as is editing guitars to be tighter and sample replacing drums because the drummer can't hit hard enough every time (or nailed it every other time but hit the snare in the wrong spot a few times).
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Sample replacing is done just as often to cover up errors in recording as it is errors in performance.

"Oh, crap... I don't know what happened, but this snare sound really sucks!"

"Sample replacing to the rescue!!"

CT

Quote by axemanchris
Sample replacing is done just as often to cover up errors in recording as it is errors in performance.

"Oh, crap... I don't know what happened, but this snare sound really sucks!"

"Sample replacing to the rescue!!"

CT

Indeed it is, maybe a better comparison would have been drum editing. Sample replacing is sometimes used because the drummer hits like a wimp - usually it is because micing a snare so it sounds as good as what people are used to is pretty damn hard (and you need a lot of expensive equipment) compared to just slapping a sample replacement plugin on it.

Drum editing, on the other, is so common in metal music I think it's a pretty good comparison with autotune.

You can argue about autotune being cheating as much as you want (and I do understand what you mean, I just don't think it's bad) but you've essentially lost because it's used all the time (yes, in metal).
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.