Hey guys.

I'm gonna go to Uni in Scotland in 2 weeks, and was thinking about part-time jobs and came across ASDA/Tesco, whatever.

Does anyone on here work there? How's it like? Is it tough getting a job there?

Share your stories, pit.
I work at a Spar, and my friend works at Sainsbury's. Neither of the jobs are bad, they're just not good either. Pretty dull and average pay with short lunch breaks. But its certainly better than nothing, I'd say try it out if you get the opportunity.
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Go into one of the shops that you wanna apply to, look into the eyes of the employees, if you see any trace of sanity left, then apply to that one. Though from what i've heard they have flexible hours, standard pay and it's a relatively simple job. Though that's just from other people telling me about their experiences.
Quote by Philip_pepper
O.o Spy? How?

They put microphones in the toilets to hear staff bitching about management.

Also in Germany they make menstruating women wear arm bands. Lol.

(only staff not customers >_> )
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
They put microphones in the toilets to hear staff bitching about management.

Also in Germany they make menstruating women wear arm bands. Lol.

(only staff not customers >_> )

I've never heard about that, and I live in Germany XD

Oh well, good to know, cheers!

Also, does one get employers discount working at these places?
Did a christmas temp job at Tescos, make £2000 in 4 months, but they gave me evening shifts 15 minutes short of qualifying for a break;
I shouldn't complain, but standing for 3 hours 45 mins serving a never ending line of customers did melt my brain a bit.

If you do get in, join a union.
Last edited by GezzyDiversion at Aug 20, 2010,
I work in the bought in bakery in Asda, I quite enjoy it and the pay is quite good, I think it pays the best out of all the supermarkets. All I really need to do all day is keep the department tidy and make sure the shelves are full.
Guitar: Jackson JS30KV
PSN id : craig_241
Steam
Feel free to add me!
you should get Staffers discount if you work there. I know people who work for Tesco in the call centre and they get 10% off instore.

Lidls would be great to work in. The special stuff they get in every now and again is sometimes really impressive.

PSN ID: ArranP
Worked at Tesco twice, two different stores. Great pay and the work is grand enough. Won't expand your horizons but will help you pay the essentials or in my case, non-essentials!
Lets All Goto Mars: The I The FLAMING LIPS Club
I wouldnt mind working there, but I dont know if I could handle the dafties when it comes to the tills....

PSN ID: ArranP
Oh you.
Quote by daft
Worked at Tesco twice, two different stores. Great pay and the work is grand enough. Won't expand your horizons but will help you pay the essentials or in my case, non-essentials!

Was it difficult getting the job?
I work in Sainsbury's and I absolutley hate it, pretty good pay is the only upside.

Working on checkouts is horrible, I hate people :P
i work at mcdonalds to fund my student lifestyle, worth a look in. free meals when you work, fun and pays decent. plus theres a shit ton of staff discounts and perks.
_____
MUSE
Quote by protest000
Quote by gillehy
Anyone agree there or am i on my own?
+
Quote by gillehy
i work at mcdonalds to fund my student lifestyle, worth a look in. free meals when you work, fun and pays decent. plus theres a shit ton of staff discounts and perks.

Free meals at McD's? Not sure if that is healthy :P
Tesco is good to work at. Staff canteen is cheap, pay was good. It's an ideal saturday job and overtime and sundays are usually time and a half.
The application form is long to fill out but worth it. I know my mum's store pays every 2 weeks, although sometimes 4.
Not sure how long you have to be there to get a discount card, but if you do get one its 10% off. Iirc at christmas they do staff vouchers too.
Tesco also has union reps, worth joining if you're there permanent and I believe they also have a student transfer system, so you can have a job at home during the holidays.

When I was there as a christmas temp at 16, pay was £5.36ph. Awesome for when you're a 16 year old.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Quote by Philip_pepper
Was it difficult getting the job?

Just did the application and then went to the interview. I feel that I do well in interviews so it wasn't too bad.
Quote by Philip_pepper
Free meals at McD's? Not sure if that is healthy :P

meh food is food. i cook my own there so i dont eat the stuff we sell to the public :P. plus at uni it saves me paying for a meal or 2 a week so more beer moneys
_____
MUSE
Quote by protest000
Quote by gillehy
Anyone agree there or am i on my own?
+
From what I can gather from adverts, you'll spend most of your time eating Kellog's Crunchy Nut in a back room, running into Richard Hammond or patting your back pocket for a guy with a camera.

You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.

Steam: | PSN: Zeroxxed | Twitter:
Quote by Kilobyte
From what I can gather from adverts, you'll spend most of your time eating Kellog's Crunchy Nut in a back room, running into Richard Hammond or patting your back pocket for a guy with a camera.

If only life were like this..
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I work at ASDA part time, the pay is good [about £7 an hour] and they look after you it's on par with Tesco really. It's pretty easy to get in, it involves a group interview followed by an individual one