I had two different guitar techs tell me two different things about what EMGs can do to the intonation of a guitar.

I've got an ESP LTD EC-1000 and I've been told that if EMGs are close to the strings can/cannot throw off the tuning.

but how close is too close? And who is right?
no way could any pickup, no matter how strong be able to pull the strings enough to **** up your intonation.
It can kill your sustain because of magnet pull, but I seriously doubt it'll throw off your intonation.
MOMMY MAD 'CAUSE I MADE A BOOM ON THE RUG

Gretsch G5120 >>> ProCo Rat >>> Fender Bassman 4x10
Especially actives. Their magnets aren't as strong as passives.
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab
Quote by disasterpiece91
I had two different guitar techs tell me two different things about what EMGs can do to the intonation of a guitar.

lol then what would a pair of neobuckers do?...warp the bridge?

actually Actives have very little magnetic pull..

its BS,never go to that tech
Last edited by archenemyfan at Aug 20, 2010,
No.

Get a new tech.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Let me guess, the stupid one works at Guitar Center
MOMMY MAD 'CAUSE I MADE A BOOM ON THE RUG

Gretsch G5120 >>> ProCo Rat >>> Fender Bassman 4x10
Quote by rickyj
no way could any pickup, no matter how strong be able to pull the strings enough to **** up your intonation.

It's funny you say that, because IIRC, strats have this problem with uneven magnet pull (staggered magnet polepieces) that messes with intonation a little.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
EMGs certainly won't.
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
No. BALONEY

Even from single coils it would be so insignificant (if any) that you'd never notice. And, to begin with, your intonation is never 'perfect'.

A guitar is a simple piece of technology. Some folks just make issues where there aren't any. Some guitar techs are super....others are dickheads.
Even if the pickup magnets were strong enough to affect the intonation of the strings the strings could still be intonated properly because the pickups do not move.
Quote by rickyj
Quote by Raptorfingers
No. BALONEY

Even from single coils it would be so insignificant (if any) that you'd never notice. And, to begin with, your intonation is never 'perfect'.
Yes and no. It's correct that pickups can't effect the intonation in the sense that the string height, the position of the bridge saddles, the position of the nut and the position of all the frets can't be effected by the pcikups; what most guitarists think of ''intonation'' being won't be effected.

However, pickups can pull guitar strings out of tune (which is what intonation really relates to), or even stop them from ringing out at all. I had this problem myself not so long ago; I couldn't understand why the 6th string on one of my Telecasters would onyl be in tune for a fraction of a second and then immediately start reading sharp and the flat, then sharp again. Turned out it was the neck pcikup doing it - my neck pickup is effectively two single ocils simply placed right next to each other and wired ins eries, so they have a very strong magnetic field and this was pulling the string around. I lowered the pickup and job done, no more problems.

Anyhoo, active pickups have such a low magnetic field that they will only start to effect the string if they're within roughly 1.3mm of the bottom of the string. There is no reaons to have the pickups that close anyway. Most active pickups work best when between 5.6mm and 10.3mm away form the bottom of the strings.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.