Hey guys.

I've had my first bass for a while now, and as I've progressed I've got GAS for another bass now.

I can spend about £600 maximum. I absolutely love monorail bridges, so extra points if you know anything for that price with a monorail bridge.

I want to play funk/jazz mainly but some rock/metal stuff too. versatile pickups please.

No crazy metal BC rich/dean shapes. The craziest I go is a Fender Jaguar or a Warwick Vampyre.

So yeah, give me whatever suggestions you can

Thanks.
-Dreadalert-
Well, Warwicks, from what I've heard (from hearing them actually being played) have the perfect tones for metal bass. Most of the time, Metal Bass players care more about tone, so if you want Tone, then a Warwick is your thing.

Fender Jaguars also have great tones. As well.

If you want to go for Funk playing, then any Fender or Modulus, or even a Flea bass would do.
Ray 34/35s are really nice basses, they're very similar to the actual EBMM. I like not having the pick up selector on the RAYs. Plus, they sound epic as hell. Modulus' are pretty pricey, but a MIM Fender Jazz would do well too. Flea basses are crap from what I've heard, and they look like little kid basses. I'd try the RAY and an MIM Jazz and see which one you like more, both are quite versatile.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Fender MIM Standard Precision Bass (Ginger =])
Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II 700/50W Biamp Bass Head
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Choice is a wonderful thing.
Modulus, even used, is going to be way outside your budget.

The Ray34/35's are as close to a real-deal Stingray as you'll get, unless you can find a used SUB for sale (which are basically a no-frills Stingray). Warwick would be something to look at (used), but you should try one first, their feel doesn't agree with everyone.

Ibanez and Traben would both be good manufacturers to look at, the SR series (Ibanez) always receives stellar comments for versatility and their ridiculously thin necks. The Traben Array's would be another good option, but another try-before-you-by thing, and you'll have to get over the big bridge.

A good 'ol Fender is just good for everything, a P or J bass can do anything, and can be found in every genre.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I want something that FEELS high quality. Something that feels really well made, high quality and solid. Like when I look at a Warwick or a prestige Ibanez. They just look so well made.

Right now I have a Squier VMJ, and it's nice, but I could imagine a smaller-bodied bass with maybe a different texture finish would be more to my liking.

I'm not THAT into the hole shiny-smooth type finish on Fenders. Although it's not BAD.
Maybe look into Spector, smaller bodies, very versatile, and you could get a Legend, or maybe a used Rebop (I'm not sure how much they go for across the pond).

That "shiny-smooth" finish you're talking about is a poly finish. You'll find it on most basses nowadays in either a gloss or matte form.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Okay, I don't really like the look of Spector..
Those finishes just look.. tacky IMO.
i keep hearing things about the Ibanez ATK. Is it 300 or 310 that's getting the appreciation? xD

I'm not sure whether I like the look or not.. I know the Offspring bassist uses one..
When you say Warwick vampyre im guessing that your talking about a warwick vampyre rockbass. Because a actual warwick vampyre is around $4-5K I believe.

I would suggest a used warwick corvette standard or if you want a really versatile bass a warwick corvette double buck. I also play alot of jazz, blues, funk, and metal and with the warwick $$ it can do everything.
Quote by Damaged Roses
I don't really understand why basses have 24 frets, I mean, I've never seen a bassist playing more than the 12 fret.

My Gear-
Warwick Double Buck
Epiphone EB0
GK MB 210
Fender Rumble
Last edited by The1bassist06 at Aug 22, 2010,
I second the Spector. Not only is it awesome for slapping on, but it can really fill the role you need it to if you decide you want to play metal/hard rock other days.

Again, I always try and plug the MusicMan SUB. It's not quite a Stingray but it's damn close, and imo much better than the Sterling RAY or OLP. I got mine for $550 used.

MusicMan SUB4
OLP MM2

Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II / RBH410 x2
Trace Elliot SMX Dual Compressor
Boss CEB-3 Bass Chorus
ZVex Wooly Mammoth Fuzz
Quote by ManInPeril
I second the Spector. Not only is it awesome for slapping on, but it can really fill the role you need it to if you decide you want to play metal/hard rock other days.

Again, I always try and plug the MusicMan SUB. It's not quite a Stingray but it's damn close, and imo much better than the Sterling RAY or OLP. I got mine for $550 used.

I've got a lot of love for the SUBs myself even though I'm not that big of a Stinger fan, they are incredibly good value for what they're supposed to be.
They kind of dough should put you in used Warwick Corvette terrority or possibly even a used MIA Fender. I won't recomment any Ibanez SRs though because I truely hate them all.
Quote by The1bassist06
When you say Warwick vampyre im guessing that your talking about a warwick vampyre rockbass. Because a actual warwick vampyre is around $4-5K I believe.

I would suggest a used warwick corvette standard or if you want a really versatile bass a warwick corvette double buck. I also play alot of jazz, blues, funk, and metal and with the warwick $$ it can do everything.

Does it make a difference if it's a Corvette or Streamer? Cause I MUCH prefer the Streamer shape.
Quote by DreadAlert
Does it make a difference if it's a Corvette or Streamer? Cause I MUCH prefer the Streamer shape.

Sound and woods are different. Not sure about the pricing but over here depending on which model the difference is anywhere from $1000-5000. You said you didn't like Spectors? It's the same shape dude.
Quote by DreadAlert
what would you say are the best sounding spectors?

From the spectors that Ive played I really like the Spector euro 4LX. But thats way out of your price range.
Quote by Damaged Roses
I don't really understand why basses have 24 frets, I mean, I've never seen a bassist playing more than the 12 fret.

My Gear-
Warwick Double Buck
Epiphone EB0
GK MB 210
Fender Rumble
Quote by DreadAlert
what would you say are the best sounding spectors?

The US NS-2 Great if you wanna drop 6 g's on a bass. There's a possibly you'd be able to find a used Czech made ReBop in your price range, still amazing basses.
I absolutely love the ReBop series, and I can never freaking find them wherever I go. Even the local music store that pretty much exclusively caters to Spector/Warwick/Peavey bassists hasn't had a ReBop for months.

MusicMan SUB4
OLP MM2

Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II / RBH410 x2
Trace Elliot SMX Dual Compressor
Boss CEB-3 Bass Chorus
ZVex Wooly Mammoth Fuzz
Quote by DreadAlert

No crazy metal BC rich/dean shapes. The craziest I go is a Fender Jaguar or a Warwick Vampyre.

-Dreadalert-

do you consider the ESP LTD F series crazy metal basses??
WHISKEY
TANGO
FOXTROT