Hello everyone.
I've been playing for about two years now and am looking for a new practice amp. I have an ME70 multi effects at the moment which I practice with, through headphones. I would like to spend below £200, play mostly metal and hard rock.
I have been looking into my options and most amps in this price range are modelling amps, which i don't mind, but I don't really need the inbuilt effects as I have my ME70 for that.
So what do you guys think. Should I go for a modelling amp such as
-Peavey Vypryr
-Roland Cube
-Vox VT series
or go for a small tube amp such as Epi Valve Junior or a used Blackstar HT5 combo?
any of those are fine.. heck you could spend much less and just get something with a decent speaker and an effects loop to run i through, however id go for a small tube amp, it will sound better and eventually you might want to stop using the me-70 so thats something to consider also
Gear
Schecter Hellraiser
Custom Built Les Paul
Ibanez Rg5ex1
line 6 DI-silver
Bugera 6260
line 6 spider ii

To Set The Ocean On fire

Quote by classicrocker01
You know you're addicted to gear when you've had more guitars than girlfriends
Thanks for the responses, I'm looking into the blackstar ht-5, found the combo used for £150.
Yeah, there's really no need for a modeling amp if you have the ME-70. That would be pretty redundant...

Tube amp would be your best bet. I personally like the Peavey Royal 8, but I'm pretty partial to Peavey. You can check it out on Youtube and see what you think though.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I checked out the peavey royal 8, it sound good but I would prefer an amp with more gain. Another amp i've been looking at is the Marshall AVT series, whats your opinion of them against a fully tube amp?
I personally think that you should be trying to get an amp with really good cleans, because the ME-70 really should be able to handle everything else.

But if you want amp distortion, the AVT isn't bad. I don't personally like it, but the lead guitarist in one of my favorite bands plays an AVT half stack with a Boss GT-8, which would be a really similar setup to yours.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
The HT5 will work fine. Based on the price I would go with it.
Last edited by fly135 at Sep 11, 2010,
Hey Guys, found an AVT150 combo for sale in my price range. Would this be suitable, too big?
Honestly, if you are going to use your ME-70, you don't have to worry about the gain or distortion in a potential amp. You will be using the clean channel with the ME-70.

I have an ME-70 and use a Blackheart Handsome Devil head and a 1x12 cab and it sounds killer. I run the same setup through a 100 watt head for gigs and it sounds even better.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212