So I've been looking for a nice echo/delay pedal for quite some time and I found a lot of video reviews on the Wampler Analog Echo. After watching many videos, and against my idea that I should try out everything before I buy it, I placed an order. Thankfully, Humbucker music is very close to where I live, so I get anything in 1 day from them.

So today when I got home I found this sitting on my door step. Unfortunately I don't have any of the unboxing pictures, so I know I lose cool points for that.

First things first, the pedal has 4 different controls. Level, Repeats, Delay, and Tone. I'm sure everyone knows what the Level, Repeats, and Delay controls do so I'm not going to explain them.

The tone control is what really set this pedal apart from others for me. By changing its setting you can go from something that sounds similar to the old tape echos to a very bright repeating sound. One thing I did notice is that with the tone on all the way the pedal would sometimes start to build up the repeat volume and feedback indefinitely. That wasn't too much of a problem, since I don't plan on using it with the tone all the way up.

Something to say about the pedal now, its not an analog pedal. But it emulates them very well. Its based on the PT2399 chip, which converts the signal to a digital signal, does the modulations, and then converts it back to analog. Brian Wampler does it in such a way that the dry signal that comes out of the pedal is never turned to a digital signal.

I play a lot of country and blues style music so I think it fits perfectly onto my pedal board, or should I say the new pedal board I am working on. I fiddled with the settings quite a bit and was able to go from a nice reverbish delay all the way to a spacey kind of sound. It has about 650mSec of delay time total, which is more than enough for me.

There are really only three things that I don't like about the pedals. The first is that the input and output are opposite relative to other pedals. I got pretty damn mad at first when I couldn't get the pedal to work. I tried everything, finally called Humbucker Music, and the sales guy laughed, then proceeded to tell me how he did the same thing one time and that I needed to switch the input and output cable. This isn't an issue that would keep me from recommending the pedal to anyone else.

The second thing is that all of the writing on the pedal is through a stick on label. Its another thing that really isn't a huge issue, but for what I paid for it.... you would think that the pedal would be silk screened or something.

The other thing may not even be a normal issue, but when I attempted to take the screws out of the back to put a battery in the fourth screw stripped instantly with almost no force placed on it. What did turn out to be quite funny is that there was already a battery inside of the pedal, but I do use a power adapter with it.

Overall the pedal is very solid though. It gives me the sounds I want, but then again I am quite picky about a lot of things when it comes to tone. If anyone is looking for a digital echo that sounds like an analog echo I would recommend this over anything else. If your looking for a lot of delay time this isn't for you, but the tone control feature just made this pedal for me.

I actually liked the Wampler so much that I decided to take a chance on another pedal of his. I ordered the Underdog Overdrive pedal and hopefully will have it tomorrow. I've always wanted an Nobels ODR-S pedal, and from what I hear Brian has really taken it and made it better in what he says is his only clone pedal. His version is somewhat a little special to me as well, but I'll explain that story once I get the Underdog Overdrive and can review it for everyone.
One thing I forgot to mention in my review. The pedal actually came with a nice cloth/canavs case that you can put the pedal in when your not using it. Its nothing special, but its a nice little touch.
Great pedal! I own the Pinnacle II Limited, it is very nice. Also, If you decide you don't like it(for said reasons) The Analog.Man ARDX20 is the best analog delay I have come across.
Quote by scott john
Great pedal! I own the Pinnacle II Limited, it is very nice. Also, If you decide you don't like it(for said reasons) The Analog.Man ARDX20 is the best analog delay I have come across.

Well the good thing is that none of the reasons I mentioned are enough for me to not want to keep the pedal. Now that I know how to hook it up I won't make that mistake again. I'm actually thinking about clear coating over the pedal once my other one gets in. I have to remove one of the screws from the pedal so I'll probably do it then. That should make it appear like the clear sticker is actually part of the pedal, and keep me from losing it.
I also found the sticker logo disappointing. They can charge $200, but not bother to paint or silk the logo on?
So my Underdog Overdrive arrived today. I'm playing around with it, and then I have to go to a senior design project group meeting. Once I get back I'll post pictures and do a review of it.

Its quite sparkly, oh and pink powder coated. I'll explain why when I get back. Its one sweet pedal though. Getting some great sounds with it.
Never heard of them before, but it looks like a really nice delay. How much coloring do you feel it imparts on the tone, how is the bypass, and what type of battery life do you get out of it? I may have to check one of these out now.
I can't say that it colors the tone much at all. If I bypass it then the notes that I play sound exactly like they do when I have it engaged. Now, the coloring itself is done to the repeats, which is actually quite nice. I can go from a very bright repeat, at its highest its a bit much for my ears, down to a nice and warm repeat. Almost like the sound of an old tape echo. He also makes another which is the faux tape echo, which includes a modulation circuit to slightly speed up and slow down the delay time while the pedal is on.

As far as battery life goes, I can't comment as I haven't been able to kill a battery yet. Its a PT2399 based pedal so it will probably die faster than other pedals I use. Wampler himself even stages that it will eat batteries, so it is best used with an adapter. Whats even nicer, is that when I received the battery it already had a Duracell battery in it. A nice little touch to always getting pedals that I have to load batteries into.

Its true bypass, so if you use a lot of these in your pedal chain your going to want a buffer.

This pedal is a keeper and will be on my pedal board for a long time.

Review of the Underdog Overdrive is on its way.
So my Analog Echo was getting a bit lonely and wanted company when I was away at work or class or sleeping. So since I've been needing a good overdrive pedal, I decided to give Wampler a shot again. And I've always liked the Nobels ODR-S pedal. Come to find out, Wampler makes a clone of the pedal which apparently sounds better than the original. With how good the Analog Echo sounds I wasn't about to doubt that. So I give you, the Wampler Underdog Overdrive

The whole Family

Just the Underdog Overdrive.

The Underdog Overdrive has 5 controls and 1 switch. The controls are: Level, Gain, Treble, Mid, Bass. The switch is a fat switch. So the five controls are all pretty easy to get. The fat switch is a very nice addition to the circuit, it tends to give the pedal a bit more bite when engaged, as well as a little more low end. I like keeping it in on when I play, but I'll likely experiment with it a lot more before I am done.

The nice thing about this pedal is that it goes from a nice clean boost to a down and dirty overdrive. The tone stack also makes the pedal quite interesting to use, as you can really change up the sound a lot. With a bit of tweaking I was able to make my telecaster bridge pickup sound a lot like a humbucker. Now, I don't want to be able to do that much since I like the distinctive sound of the tele bridge, but it was nice to see the amount of control it gave me over the tone of my guitar.

The other thing is that the pedal doesn't seem to get muddy as you increase the gain. It also retains a sonically pleasing sound, and doesn't become harsh and ugly sounding. This will too likely stay on my pedal board for a long time. It fits the genres I play quite well, as it is based on a favorite of many of Nashville's guitar players. It can also add quite a lot of gain to your guitar though, so its a very versatile guitar pedal.

So overall I really like this pedal. It cleans up well, but can get very dirty when you want it to. The EQ stack gives you a lot of control over your tone, but with the right settings doesn't change your basic guitars sound. After tweaking it to a point I liked, I was surprised to find that my telecaster still sounded like a telecaster, and my other guitars still sounded like they are supposed to. But another added benefit with this pedal is that if you want to lose the telecaster bite, you can do that as well.

So now on to the things I don't like about this pedal.

As far as this one goes, I really only dislike the stick on label and the input and output jack being reversed to what they normally are. Other than that I've had no problems so far. For the price of the pedal, I feel like the writing should be silk screened or hand painted on.

Now I know some of you are probably wondering, why the hell would you buy a pink sparkly pedal. Or even, why would you make a pink sparkly pedal. Well the pedal run was conceived as a way for Wampler to help a friend of his pay for her cancer treatment bills. Breast cancer treatment. So that should explain the reason for the pink sparkly coating.

I did form some attachment to this story almost instantly, and see this pedal as somewhat of a sentimental item as well. My grandmother, who always encouraged me to do the very best I could in whatever I undertook, developed breast cancer late in her life. My grandmother was basically the one that raised me in the first few years of my life, as my parents had to work all the time to make ends meet. So every time I look down and see this pedal when I am playing I will be reminded that anything that I do I should do the very best that I can.

So feel free to ask any questions you have about these two products. I'm really liking the Wampler pedal line, and have two other pedals that before I am finished with my board I plan on buying. My list of pedals to still acquire are as follows:

Hermedia Audio Zendrive
Wampler Cranked AC
Wampler Ego Compressor
Way Huge Aqua Puss
Some type of reverb pedal
Butler Tube Driver
A Buffer pedal, or pedal switching rackmount with a buffer.
Thanks for answering my questions about the delay... also great review of the OD!