I don't get how bad people say they are! I have the 81/85 combo on my Schecter and they sound great! It seems so popular to hate EMG's. Why?
I have 81/89TW active coil taps on my Schecter and I'm not a big fan of them personally. They are pretty thin sounding, but they are still very versatile.

To get a sound I like out of it, I put a overdrive in my chain and crank my 100W tube amp to around 6. Until you get to that level, they pretty much sound shitty

Most people probably hate them because kids associate them with BR00T4L metal that really has no flavor to it whatsoever.
personal preference

some people like the sound of actives and some dont,if they sound great to you why would you give a fudge anyway?

extremely pointless thread

I'm resisting strong temptation to report this..
Bad? Metal Players Love 'em. It's because many people hate what's popular I guess? Another thing is the fact that some people say there is a big difference in sounds when comparing active EMG'S to traditional, high quality passive ones.
Also many people say they're not that great clean. Well, an opinion is an opinion, everyone has one. Also I'd think they hate the many popular players that use them. I guess hating the popular thing is the "cool" attitude. "Hey, I hate what has proven to be great for the past 30 years, so I'm great!". Also a lot of people feel active pickups on guitars don't "feel" right.

And passive EMG'S are hated 'cause they tend to be of a low quality.

Those are my theories.
Last edited by PRSfanatic at Aug 20, 2010,
they're awesome for metal. but like Andy said above me, they don't have a lot of character. They're essentially the blank canvas of pickups. They don't have their own character, but you can certainly get a lot of tones out of them.
Every time I have played them they just had a very undesirable tone. Too overdriven for me, its like listening to music where there is an obscene amount of gain: just not pleasant.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Quote by polishedbullet
I have 81/89TW active coil taps on my Schecter and I'm not a big fan of them personally. They are pretty thin sounding, but they are still very versatile.

What kind of Schecter do you have?
I have the 81/89tw in my Tempest Hellraiser, and I noticed they sound kind of... metallic. As if there's something kind of clanging around when I palm mute.
Colin does not approve of this thread

Off topic threads:
Don't. These include:
Blatant spam
"Why does everyone hate the (spider, MG, etc etc)" threads
"game" threads
Youtube review threads- don't just post your youtube video or a review from another site.
Ads of any kind
its trendy to hate on everything except ibanez prestige's, esp's and dream theater on ug
It's just personal preferance.
To my ears actives have always sounded quite harsh and they tend to lack character.
SD Blackouts are the exception to this, in my book.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Quote by gregs1020
who hates EMGs?

I do... usually.

In a guitar with nice wood, why would you want to rob the natural tone of, say, swamp ash, or maybe a solid mahogany body with a maple top? Passives all the way!

In a shitty guitar that's alder or something along those lines, sure, go for actives.

Quote by halfj06
its trendy to hate on everything except ibanez prestige's, esp's and dream theater on ug

I don't really like any of those.
Last edited by GrisKy at Aug 20, 2010,
Quote by GrisKy
I do... usually.

In a guitar with nice wood, why would you want to rob the natural tone of, say, swamp ash, or maybe a solid mahogany body with a maple top? Passives all the way!

In a shitty guitar that's alder or something along those lines, sure, go for actives.

oh please, do shut the fudge up..dont start a flamewar now
Last edited by archenemyfan at Aug 20, 2010,
I went to Seymour Duncan passives from emgs and never looked back. Bigger warmer more natural tone, barely a loss in gain.
Guitars
Amps
You apparently like them, so not everyone hates them.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by archenemyfan
oh please, do shut the fudge up..dont start a flamewar now

whatever man, your tone is yours, do what you damn well please. I'll do likewise.
I'm indifferent. If I find they help me reach a tone I'm looking for, I'll use 'em. If not, then I know there's a better choice and I keep searching.
MOMMY MAD 'CAUSE I MADE A BOOM ON THE RUG

Gretsch G5120 >>> ProCo Rat >>> Fender Bassman 4x10