Hello, I've been playing bass for a year and a half, and for a long time, I've been wanting to write music, as in full complete songs. I've always jammed out with other musicians, but I want to start writing music on my own. Basically, I want to produce my own solo project. And well, you can't write music only with a rhythm section. You need a melody, a lead, a main view. So, I decided to start teaching myself how to play guitar. People say its the same thing as bass but, if you ask me, it's not. Bass and guitar are 2 completely different instruments, and their roles in music are completely different.

When I started to play bass, I knew exactly where to start and how I wanted to play. I knew what resources and what techniques to use. Playing bass came naturally to me. However, when I try to pick up guitar, my mind just goes blank. Basically, I need some advice on where to start on guitar. I want to write metal and acoustical music. Generally, rock n roll. Where should I start learning? What techniques do I need to learn in-order to get better at guitar and start writing music? Or should I stick with bass a bit longer in-order to build up more skill?
DO NOT BUY A GUITAR BASED ON YOUR FAVORITE ARTISTS

usually results in you getting a crappy import with bad wood like what I did with BC Rich.

First you need a budget. How much cash are you willing to drop?

I would go to guitar shops and play around with the guitars there till you find one that suits you based on your liking.

Learning guitar was easy for me. I taught myself how to play without lessons while looking up tabs online. Guitar gets a little technical with fingering but it takes practice.

What kind of music do you want to do?
Last edited by disasterpiece91 at Aug 20, 2010,
I think he's asking more about how to start playing guitar, not on what sort of guitar he should buy.

Try finding a guitar teacher to really get going. Another useful thing would be to start learning an easy song from your favourite genre.

METedit: for technique, I would say start off with basic chromatic exercises every time you pick up the guitar just to get familiar with the instrument. Also learn a few scales like the major, minor and pentatonic. All of this can be found easily through google.
Last edited by Metallica1554 at Aug 20, 2010,
Quote by Metallica1554
I think he's asking more about how to start playing guitar, not on what sort of guitar he should buy.

True but if you pick a bad guitar you'll have a bad playing experience. IMO.

Again. It takes practice, and if you know how to play bass, that's nearly half the battle.
Quote by disasterpiece91
True but if you pick a bad guitar you'll have a bad playing experience. IMO.

Again. It takes practice, and if you know how to play bass, that's nearly half the battle.

That is true, that is merely half the battle. The fingering on bass and guitar are slightly different. There's not as much stretching on guitar as there is on bass. Bass players stretch their fingers a lot.

Quote by Metallica1154
METedit: for technique, I would say start off with basic chromatic exercises every time you pick up the guitar just to get familiar with the instrument. Also learn a few scales like the major, minor and pentatonic. All of this can be found easily through google.

Yeah, that's true. But I think my main problem is learning the difference in fretting.

Um, the kind of music I'm trying to produce while I'm in school is metal and funkcore. (Funky Hardcore). My inspiration to play guitar is a bit different from my inspiration to play bass. I really like the guitarist Tom Morello, Mick Thompson/Jim Root, Billy Howerdel and the guitarist from A Day to Remember and Dance Gavin Dance. Any advice on what I need to learn in-order "replicate" their styles a bit?
I recommend you find a good teacher to get you through the basics of scales, chords, and basic improvisation before you get into more genre-oriented stuff, but definitely learn an easy cover or two of your choice so you have something to keep yourself interested.