I've been looking into a Jet City JCA2112RC because I need a new amp for metal. I've heard it can do a good br00tz sound but i also wanna have good cleans. The amp only has one channel and id like to be able to switch from clean to br00tz for live situations quickly. I was thinking of possibly dialing in a clean tone on the amp and using some sort of distortion pedal for the metal tones, but this would mean that i wouldn't use the built in gain on the amp, which ive heard is its strong point. Also, ive heard the cleans on the amp aren't so great, so maybe that idea wouldnt be great. If somebody could give me some advice that'd be great. I am on a budget of about $300-400 (this amp fits right in). Thanks!

Heres a link to the amp in you need it btw:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jet-City-Amplification-JCA2112RC-20W-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=583601
i have this amp just finished a jam session on it actually, trying to dial in a good metal tone. this amp is very strange. it falls one gain stage short of metal, but has (near) enough gain for it. if that makes sense. i think i might be trying to say there isnt enough saturation? idk amp terms are different to most people lol. anyway, it sounds good, but kind of harsh and it just doesnt feel right. like not fluid enough. idk how itd be with a boost but id assume itd be alot better. or maybe its just because its 20w. idk. it can do it, but try it out with a boost first. also, if youre using it to play brootz id go with the head and a separate cab, the speaker on this is really muddy and makes the low end fall apart and seem weak. almost like the "farting" noise you hear people talk about when you do chugs.
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
also keep in mind that the Jet City has a quite a bit of feedback - probably its biggest weak point. If you intend to do br00tz with a boost in front, gonna want a noise gate.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by CL/\SH
also keep in mind that the Jet City has a quite a bit of feedback - probably its biggest weak point. If you intend to do br00tz with a boost in front, gonna want a noise gate.

I dunno what was wrong with the one you played, but I can turn the gain all the way up on mine and dime the volume and have completely controllable feedback
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by CL/\SH

yours has quite a lot of feedback, i dont think anyone else has had that issue. maybe a few people, but not the majority. not really worth continually saying the amp has a problem, when its only a couple of them that do. or at least stop making it sound like all of them have that problem. mine has some noise, but not much. and feedback? only when i want it.

kmac, this probably isnt the amp for you if you want to go quickly between clean and gain. it does great gain sounds and borders on the metal territory (gets there with the right speaker and a boost), but it wont go quickly to clean from there. it goes from crunch to gritty cleans by rolling off your volume knob, but a bigger change than that means you do not want a single channel amp.
I thought it sounded kinda weird for metal. Like it was too...I dunno, smooth-but-grainy. Great for hard rock. Metal? Meh, not so much.

And MC, how many times did you layer that?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Aug 21, 2010,
Quote by oneblackened
And MC, how many times did you layer that?

It's only single-tracked on each side

The DIs for the song are quad tracked, but that takes too long, plus I want people to be able to hear the actual tone of the amp, not the tone of the amp when layered with a second track of it

That track is also not boosted, and is through my Emperor 1x12 cab, instead of my Mesa 4x12 like the others - so it keeps the "mini stack" feel to it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Aug 21, 2010,
Quote by MatrixClaw
It's only single-tracked on each side

The DIs for the song are quad tracked, but that takes too long, plus I want people to be able to hear the actual tone of the amp, not the tone of the amp when layered with a second track of it

That track is also not boosted, and is through my Emperor 1x12 cab, instead of my Mesa 4x12 like the others - so it keeps the "mini stack" feel to it.

hm... Maybe it was just me but it sounded really nasally to my ears. I much preferred the tone of the 2203 and the Bogner. More powerful sounding.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
hm... Maybe it was just me but it sounded really nasally to my ears. I much preferred the tone of the 2203 and the Bogner. More powerful sounding.

Probably because of the 1x12 cab and the fact that both the 2203 and Bogner are boosted, because neither one has nearly enough gain for that song by themselves. The fact that the JCA does have enough gain is impressive enough in itself

Though I don't really like the Duende clip, it sounded much better in the room.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Aug 21, 2010,
I have no experience with this particular amp but I bet an eq and sonic maximizer in the effects loop would give you the ability to dial in a tight, punchy metal gain tone.
Quote by guitardedhero
I have no experience with this particular amp but I bet an eq and sonic maximizer in the effects loop would give you the ability to dial in a tight, punchy metal gain tone.

It doesn't have an effects loop
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Probably because of the 1x12 cab and the fact that both the 2203 and Bogner are boosted, because neither one has nearly enough gain for that song by themselves. The fact that the JCA does have enough gain is impressive enough in itself

Though I don't really like the Duende clip, it sounded much better in the room.

True! With that being said, when I played the JCA20H through a VK412 (yes, I know, craptastic cab), I hated it. It had this weird tone to it that I just hated.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by MatrixClaw
I dunno what was wrong with the one you played, but I can turn the gain all the way up on mine and dime the volume and have completely controllable feedback

Well the one I OWN doesn't have feedback really - just a bit of hum with the volume dimed. I didn't word my statement very well

But for some people any hum at all is a huge nuisance, which is why I let people know about it.

EDIT: Yeah, jof, I've been exaggerating it a bit - it's not a huge amount of feedback - just some noise/hum that some might find undesirable.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Last edited by CL/\SH at Aug 21, 2010,