so ive been playing for almost a year and i just realized that ive never done warm ups or stuff like that. i literally just unboxed my guitar, found out how to read tabs, looked up tabs of songs i liked and started playing them. I dont know any chords except E5 and i dont know any scales. But mostly i was wondering of a good warm up for helping with speed for solos and finger flexibility and strength.
Quote by Ratraisin
Do you really kill hobos? Man, that's some bad karma...

THE ORIGINAL HOBO SLAYER
^ Now cool and groovy
why not exercise using scales? that way you learn the scales and improve your technique at the same time... look up a scale, learn how its constructed, then play it. PLay it straight up and down, play it in 3, 4 or 5 note combinations, play them in different parts of the fret board.

playing guitar by tabs without knowing what you are playing is not really "playing", in the same way a parrot who has learned a few words and phrases is not really speaking.
sɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɥʇıʍ poob ʇou ɯı uʍop ǝpısdn sıɥʇ sı ʎɥʍ pob ɥo
k.
Quote by Ratraisin

THE ORIGINAL HOBO SLAYER
^ Now cool and groovy
If you're looking for any kind of technique help, let me point you to Freepower's YouTube channel. He also has a music theory for beginners course you might find useful.
Freepower's Channel
Also check out the technique thread, compiled by Freepower and other users.
Technique Thread

Both of these will sort out any kinks in your playing if practiced dilligently enough, they certainly helped me. Listen to Steven Seagull as well if you want top notch advice; he may seem rather belligerent at times, but his advice is solid. There are other users in this forum that are helpful, but I can't recall their names at the moment. (Sorry. Max props to anyone who helps another on this board.)

Now, onto my advice.
Rule one for speed, don't anchor. Resting your hand on your guitar is fine for muting purposes, but there shouldn't be any part forcefully stuck to the guitar.

Second, use minimal movements in both hands, Freepower's video on finger independance should sort this out if your fingers won't stay close to your fretboard. Don't pick further past the string than you need to and make sure you alternate pick; however don't compromise note clarity at all, nobody likes weedy picking. Make sure you eccentuate notes in your runs to give a sense of dynamics, you'll find it also helps you keep time.

Thirdly, on the subject of keeping time, it is essential that you invest in a metronome and practice slowly so you can maintain control of everything you do at all times. Assuming you're doing it right, your muscle memory will pick up on it and you'll end up playing with perfect technique when you go back to playing songs and whatnot.

Fourth; This one's the soul killer. Don't play faster than you can comfortably play. This lesson took ages for me to learn, as I always wanted to play with the studio recordings straight away. Make sure you slow difficult phrases down to a comfortable speed and slowly increase your speed using the metronome.
Good luck, dude. There's a lot to get through.

TL;DR You suck for a reason, read the post.
"2,000,000 NPS Whores" club.
Appreciating the beauty of music so fast it blows puny mortal's faces off.
Bow down to teh Shredzor!
PM La Qotsa if you want to join. No emotion? Pah!
Last edited by Arpeggio X at Aug 20, 2010,
thanks, so far he's been helpful
Quote by Ratraisin

THE ORIGINAL HOBO SLAYER
^ Now cool and groovy
Ok dude, knowing that you've read Freep's sticky, there isn't much I can really say here. But, i'll try and say what might be useful.

Allright, what ever you do never, ever, ever sacrifice quality for speed. You'll be surprised by how fast Speed will come if you focus on the things that actually make Technique good. Focus on Economy of Motion and keep your playing relaxed, that will make playing fast, and playing in general easier in the future. Also, find a way of holding your Guitar in which, it's really comfy. This makes playing heps easier. And last, but surely not least, don't forget that you're a musician. You want your technique to sound good. Work on playing with a consistant and even tone.