I'm looking for a new amp for £450, no more.

My main style of playing is metal, with tones from Machine Head to Parkway Drive, But I also need to be able to get 'rocky' sounds like Sum 41, and Clean sounds from it. I would prefer 2 or 3 channels.

I would like it to be new and not used, but if there is something I should check out please give me a link.

I have been considering a Bugera 333xl because it has everything I need, but its 120 watts and I really don't need that much, maybe enough for a small gig, like 50 watts?

I'm tired so sorry for the bad layout lol, i've probably forgot to say something important, i'll add in anything else if people need to know stuff
Parkway Drive use Peavey 6505 I think. You could try and get a used 5150 for about £500 if you searched around. If not, the 6260 and 6262 by Bugera are good.
I wasn't sure if the Blackstar HT's were able to get the metalcore tone that I wanted, but i'll have a look. I've also thought about 6505+'s or a used 5150 but they're kinda purely for metal and I need something a bit more versatile.
I can confirm that the 6262 has pretty good cleans for an amp that does teh br00tz like nobodies business.

Not much headroom mind, but that can be controlled by lowering you guitar volume or using lower output pups.
6505 112 Combo

or look at second hand amps...

Some nice ENGLs on flea bay go for that kind of money

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Lr-Mtb
I'm looking for a new amp for £450, no more.

My main style of playing is metal, with tones from Machine Head to Parkway Drive, But I also need to be able to get 'rocky' sounds like Sum 41, and Clean sounds from it. I would prefer 2 or 3 channels.

I would like it to be new and not used, but if there is something I should check out please give me a link.

I have been considering a Bugera 333xl because it has everything I need, but its 120 watts and I really don't need that much, maybe enough for a small gig, like 50 watts?

I'm tired so sorry for the bad layout lol, i've probably forgot to say something important, i'll add in anything else if people need to know stuff

There's not really a big difference between 50 watts and 120 watts. Don't let 'too many watts' hold you back from getting a good amp. That's why there's a volume knob. Plus it's metal. You want some headroom
Pfftt actually.

Buy a 2nd hand Rocker 30 by Orange.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Pull two output tubes and the 333XL is suddenly 60 watts. Not that you'll notice any difference.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Versatile*

I blame public schools.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
So it still looks like the Bugera 333xl is best, anymore suggestions? What should I look for used?
I'd like to add that in the event you're going to pull power tubes, read up on it first. You need to half the impedance or your amp may be damaged.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by Lr-Mtb
So it still looks like the Bugera 333xl is best, anymore suggestions? What should I look for used?

Bugera makes some kick ass amps. Try out the 6262 as well. They used to have some reliability issues bit I think that's cleared up. Other than that I highly recommend Bugera
Owning the 6262, I can confrim the cleans are very nice...when you dial the gain WAY back, or use a lower output pick-up.

For absolute versatility, the 333XL is the better amp. Better cleans, and the clean channel doesn't share an EQ/gain level adjustment with the crunch channel (you can keep the gain low on the cleans, and high on the crunch).

A nice benefit on the 6262, separate reverb controls (still assignable) for the lead and clean/crunch channel. I like to run my cleans with more reverb, crunch with no reverb, and lead with a TOUCH of reverb...6262 can do this, 333xl can't (at least not without adjusting the reverb each time you go from clean to lead).

for a 3 channel amp in your price range, your not going to beat Bugera (unless you find a good price on a used amp...that is in great shape...and doesn't need new tubes...or pots...or jacks)
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
So yea again, I think I will get the Bugera, but I'm still worried about the 120 Watts and bedroom volume thing... I know it has a volume knob but its just so overkill. I will be gigging occasionally in the future for college, but still.

Also, will I need a noise supressor? I'd love an MXR Smartgate or an ISP Decimator because I've heard such great things about them, but I can't afford them. Would a Boss NS-2 be ok for high gain stuff?

Thanks for everyones help. Just got to wait for it to be instock now...
Last edited by Lr-Mtb at Aug 24, 2010,
Quote by Vinson
A nice benefit on the 6262, separate reverb controls (still assignable) for the lead and clean/crunch channel. I like to run my cleans with more reverb, crunch with no reverb, and lead with a TOUCH of reverb...6262 can do this, 333xl can't (at least not without adjusting the reverb each time you go from clean to lead).
Small correction: the 333 has assignable reverb too, just not footswitchable.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Everyone saying 6505+ has bad cleans is wrong, just if you have some reverb and a chorus it can sound amazing, and even without those it can sound fine, just EQ it and your fine.
I would say 6505+ 112 Combo
Peavey 6505 Combo + Noise gate pedal

If you can't afford that then get a bugera combo (6260/6262)

Epiphone Wilshire
Orange Rocker 30
Harley Benton 212 (w/Greenbacks)
Ernie Ball Vp jr
Swollen Pickle fuzz
Maxon OD808
Danelectro Vibe
Line 6 Tap Tremolo
Line 6 Verbzilla
EH Memory Man Hazarai
Boss RC20XL

Last.fm
Check out my band haze
Quote by Kanthras
Small correction: the 333 has assignable reverb too, just not footswitchable.

But not separate levels for the different channels right?
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
Have a look at the Blackstar HT20, ENGL Gigmaster, Jet City 20w

Vids - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBxAerqnwrs (Engl Gigmaster)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdI7GuVOXCU&feature=fvw (Jet City)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbqhIfDSx_w (Blackstar HT20)
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Quote by Vinson
But not separate levels for the different channels right?
You mean separate reverb levels? No.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

have a look at Jet city jca50 or a Peavey Vypyr tube 60 if u want extreme versatility
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Would a Blackstar HT 40 fit my needs? I can get one for £479 Ex Demo. Anything to be worried about there?

I'm just a little worried on if it can get the Machine Head Tone on its own, I won;t have much money for pedals after this
Quote by Lr-Mtb
Would a Blackstar HT 40 fit my needs? I can get one for £479 Ex Demo. Anything to be worried about there?

I'm just a little worried on if it can get the Machine Head Tone on its own, I won;t have much money for pedals after this

The Blackstar is an extremely versatile amp, believe me.. I have a HT-20 and i play everything on it. Although it may not sounded exactly like the original, its good enough for me. Im still quite a tone noob so i cant achieve that great metal sounds, but the HT series is definitely good enough to get there.

If you can, try these amps out.
333XL that is all.

Only advice, remember its got a very versite EQ and probably needs a noise gate pedal and a few others to get the absolute best out of it (although I never bother)

also lead channels sound ok at low levels, but need more volume to get best out of them (obvious for a tube amp tbh)
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
I would second the Blackstar or a *coughs* Randall rg50tc *coughs*. But really from what i've heard the blackstars are pretty good.
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...
Ok, I think i've made up my mind on the Bugera 333xl unless there is something else that blows it away. I've looked at loads more amps like the Peavey 6505+ 112, Randall RG50, Blackstar HT20/ 40, Bugera 6262 etc. but I think the 333XL is more versatile and better value that the rest of them.

I also understand that I will need some sort of noise supressor, so I have been looking to the Boss NS-2, I have heard that it is good for the price and won't suck the tone much. I would rather get an MXR Smartgate or an ISP Decimator but I can't afford them. Are there any others that I should look at in the £50 range?

Thanks for everyones help!
Last edited by Lr-Mtb at Aug 25, 2010,