im building my own guitar and instead of buying all the extra tools and spending all the extra time on fretting and inlays and such im gonna buy a custom one of warmoth, and i was wondering what do u think the most comfortable neck shape is

thanks
Ibanez D shaped wizard necks all the way!?!?! wooo?!?! No really though, what kind of neck do you like?
Quote by salgala2000
I like beefy les paul necks, I hate thin ibanez necks (AKA wizards), Fenders are still to thin for me but i can deal with it. It's all preference.

any idea what les paul necks r called? the selections r

standard thin
boatneck
fatback
clapton
srv
wolfgang
59 roundback
wizard

i was thinking something like a les paul but im not sure what thats called
It's all personal preference, I for one like both the beefy neck on my Schecter, as well as the thin and also wide neck on my Ibanez.

To me, though, almost any guitar I pick up I can deal with the neck size/thickness/width. It honestly doesn't affect my playing at all.. For some odd reason. It's not like I have large hands, either, they are quite small and can just barely completely wrap around my Schecter's neck, but I still find it very comfortable.

Am I weird?
If it was me I'd get myself a nice, thin Ibanez-style neck, but as brandon said, it's all about what you, yourself, like.
Quote by salgala2000
It's all preference.

Enough said.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Quote by ladna
any idea what les paul necks r called? the selections r

standard thin Probably Not
boatneck Probably
fatback Maybe
clapton Probably not
srv No
wolfgang Wtf is that?
59 roundback I think les pauls neck back then were thin, so its not the ones we're thinking of
wizard Definitly Not

i was thinking something like a les paul but im not sure what thats called

Ill be back gunna go do some googling.

EDIT: Mintsauce beat me to it. I'm not sure which option it is. I would e-mail warmoth, i think i've heard the have good customer service.
Last edited by salgala2000 at Aug 20, 2010,
alright do u know which one of

standard thin
boatneck
fatback
clapton
srv
wolfgang
59 roundback
wizard

that is?

boatneck sounds the most in the middle
The Ibanez neck shape at Warmoth is the "Wizard". You need to go to a shop and try all of the neck styles and sizes. That's alot of money to spend and get something you don't like. I personally like a thicker neck for playing lead and a thinner neck for rhythm. I don't know why but I just do. Consider the compound radius neck from Warmoth, I have two of them and love them. One is a standard thin and the other is a Clapton

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
If you can't decide and not sure what type neck you like, then measure your hand from heel to finger tips. CALL Warmoth and speak to one of the guys. They are very helpful. Tell them the size of your hands and what style you play most of. They can at least narrow your choices down.

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
No love for a V-profile?
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

-George Carlin