---5---

And another chord, which is sort of similar:

---5---
---8---
---5---
---7---
---8---
---5---

Can anyone tell me what chord(s) these are?
Fmaj7
and Fadd9

(mapofyourhead had it right)
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Quote by Dempsey68
Fmaj7
and Fadd9

(mapofyourhead had it right)

He said Fm7 not Fmaj7, which is a completely different thing. If you are correct in the context of the song (which is unknown at this point) it would at least be called Fmaj7/A and Fadd9/A.
Last edited by JayLacelle at Aug 20, 2010,
m is minor.
M is major.

And this is just the basic open C shape moved up the neck, so I named it as such. I probably should have notated the A as the root, but I didn't think it was a crucial element in this case.
Quote by MapOfYourHead
m is minor.
M is major.

And this is just the basic open C shape moved up the neck, so I named it as such. I probably should have notated the A as the root, but I didn't think it was a crucial element in this case.

Ok sorry I've never seen maj been written as M before.

You don't name chords based on it's shape in standard tuning though, and since it is an inversion to have the major 3rd in the bass it is pretty important.
I'm all too aware of chord naming conventions, and how they are depend of the chords function in the progression. But seeing that no context was given, I gave the most basic answer, with the thought process that TS is simply using the C shape moved up the neck.

Edit: And in this case, the 3rd in the bass is not the defining element of the chord, which is why I left it out. But to be safe, you may as well leave it in.
Last edited by MapOfYourHead at Aug 20, 2010,