http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7XxNqhqKoA

Just thought I'd share. I'm not here to debate modelers vs. 20,000 Mesa boogie rigs. But you gotta admit, no matter which side of the fence you're on, this sounds pretty cool. (if you haven't heard the original, check out 4:01 at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFXvfBL4WkU) When you forget about all the brushing up and tweaking done at the mixing stage, it's pretty much the same.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
nails, and you mean NAILS?

I think we should be a little less dramatic with out proclamations.

Sounds a'ight.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Sounds pretty thin. I think that the rhythm tone would be even worse.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
the pod can do some pretty good stuff, for 400 bones its a great tool.
Guitars
Amps
I think this calls for a rock 'n' roll proverb...

During soundcheck for the 1984 "Monsters of Rock" festival, Eddie Van Halen let Angus Young play on his rig. So with the Frankenstrat in hand, running through Eddie's legendary rig, Angus Young started crankin'. And it sounded like...Angus Young playing a guitar.

The moral to the story: just ****in' play guitar.
Last edited by x_live4guitar_x at Aug 20, 2010,
Quote by x_live4guitar_x

During soundcheck for the 1984 "Monsters of Rock" festival, Eddie Van Halen let Angus Young play on his rig. So with the Frankenstrat in hand, running through Eddie's legendary rig, Angus Young started crankin'. And it sounded like...Angus Young playing a guitar.

Absolutely. Fingertone is far more important than your right 95% of the time.
Definitely not exactly the same, but if you can't afford to drop a couple grand it's a good way to go
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Quote by Windwaker

I agree! Makes me wonder what it would sound like if JP himself played with that preset...
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by MortifiedLizard
I agree! Makes me wonder what it would sound like if JP himself played with that preset...
Probably very close to the way it sounds now. The example with Van Halen and Angus was with two players with very different styles.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by x_live4guitar_x

in the words of Frank Zappa
Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar
Oh god, not this again...

John Petrucci plugged into a deluxe reverb reissue isn't going to sound like Dream Theater.

There is a difference between technique and tone...no matter what John Petrucci plays on, it will sound like John Petrucci playing, but it won't sound like his tone.

Fingers do not make up 95% of your tone. They make up probably around 5%, and that just comes from the way your fingers hit the strings.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Sounds good, but it isn't exactly the same.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by SLonergan
Oh god, not this again...

John Petrucci plugged into a deluxe reverb reissue isn't going to sound like Dream Theater.

There is a difference between technique and tone...no matter what John Petrucci plays on, it will sound like John Petrucci playing, but it won't sound like his tone.

Fingers do not make up 95% of your tone. They make up probably around 5%, and that just comes from the way your fingers hit the strings.

+1

Angus Young will always sound like Angus Young regardless of rig because even if he was playing through a Krankenstein he'd be playing 3 power chords and the pentatonic scale. But it wouldn't be his TONE. It would be the tone of the Krankentein, not the tone of a JTM45 or JMP50.

You guys are confusing tone with style. Petrucci's style is in his fingers. His tone is in his gear. That's the way it is for everybody.
Quote by Windwaker

Do you know where I can get some good Marshall fingers? I've found my tone sounding a bit too Fender-y lately.

EDIT: On topic, that doesn't come close to nailing it IMO. It lacks the clarity. It does sound nice though.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Last edited by mmolteratx at Aug 20, 2010,
****ing wat. 95% of your tone comes from your fingers?

Why dont we all just get an MIM fender and a MG then.

I never spent 3k on my rig to have some random head off the net tell me id sound exactly the same through my old 10 watt SS yamaha amp.

Nice tone tho, i feel itd sound better in person.
Quote by mmolteratx
Do you know where I can get some good Marshall fingers? I've found my tone sounding a bit too Fender-y lately.

Try switching out the pre-knuckles to Tung-Sols.

Quote by mmolteratx

EDIT: On topic, that doesn't come close to nailing it IMO. It lacks the clarity. It does sound nice though.

Quote by NakedInTheRain
Try switching out the pre-knuckles to Tung-Sols.

This would be sig'd if I had room. Instead, I give you this.

EDIT: That's for both of you.
Quote by rmr024

Last edited by SLonergan at Aug 20, 2010,
i can get a really good images and words rhythm tone on my xt with the triple rec
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
The facts of life everyone!

Sounding good = Good tone + good technique

John Petrucci with a Dumble sounds like? John Petrucci with a Dumble!

If you have bad tone, you will sound bad

If you have bad technique you will sound bad

BTW, the POD X3 sounded great imo
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Tonally it sounded like some bastardization between Steve Vai and Petrucci. Was pretty decent though.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores