So I really dig Marshalls, especially the 800. But they are an awful lot of money, and I would think that since it came out someone has created one that sounds almost identical.

So are there any amps that really sound like the 800? And when I say that, I mean an amp that is as raw and has all the balls of the 800. I understand there will probably be somewhat of a difference in the tones, but that is to be expected
Sovtek Mig 50 (nearly identical from what I hear)
Peavey Triumphs (not quite as close, but still good)
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Last edited by MortifiedLizard at Aug 20, 2010,
$700-900 is an awful lot?

What's your budget?
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
I was asking the exact same question a few months ago!

From what I was told, a Peavey VTM is exactly what you're looking for.
Sovtek MIG
Peavey VTM (hot rodded 800 type sound)
Red Bear Amps MK series
Peavey Butcher

Four amps off the top of my head that are similar to the 800 and tend to go alot cheaper.

You can get a real 800 for between $700 - $1000 though. They're really not that expensive.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
Sovtek MIG
Red Bear Amps MK series
Peavey Butcher

Four amps off the top of my head that are similar to the 800 and tend to go alot cheaper.

You can get a real 800 for between $700 - $1000 though. They're really not that expensive.

Expensive is a subjective word.

If you can get a Peavey Butcher or VTM fo,r lets say, $300 used then I think that that may be the better deal if $$$ is a concern.

Also +1 on the Sovtek. Unfortunately, I'm seeing less and less of them on the used market, and those that I do see now are starting to creep up in price.
Last edited by Nightgaunt at Aug 20, 2010,
Quote by Raijouta
Sovtek MIG
Red Bear Amps MK series
Peavey Butcher

I have had a hard time finding them at that price.
well its not an amp... but i run a tonebone plexitube distortion pedal through a fender hot rod deluxe and I have gotten alot of comparisons from people to that and similar model amp. The pedal has 1 possibly two tubes in it and the gain is crazy good. I know its not the same but maybe buy a good clean amp and have your gain from the pedal. Just a cheaper idea. The pedal is dead on the sound you are looking for though.
Quote by Raijouta
They're really not that expensive.

Depends where you are too. I don't know where TS is, but in Australia they're about $3000 dollars.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
Quote by -xCaMRocKx-
Depends where you are too. I don't know where TS is, but in Australia they're about $3000 dollars.

Isn't everything?
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Here's your replacement, mate.

In all seriousness, JCMs are at really gewd prices used. Nothing at that price new will beat the real deal used.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by CL/\SH
Here's your replacement, mate.

In all seriousness, JCMs are at really gewd prices used. Nothing at that price new will beat the real deal used.

Haha, MGs really aren't that bad. They are overly popular and of course suck compared to a real Marshall but I have played through amps hundreds of times worse
Quote by bubb_tubbs
Isn't everything?

Yep.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
Quote by JWG2007
The ENGL Invader is insane but they cost more than the jcm800s

The fuck is wrong with you?

TS, if you can't find a JCM800 for under $1000 you aren't looking at all. They go for ~$800 all day long.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs