Hello, so i hope you guys can help me out on upgrading my guitar for the first time. I´ve been playing a Peavey Raptor EXP guitar for 2.5 years now (since i started out) and well...i want a change. I want to make the right choice, take a very good look to all the options before getting one, since you´ve probably noticed i don´t change guitars very often so who knows for how many years i´ll have the one i´m going to get.

I like to play metal for the most part, mainly thrash (Megadeth, Metallica, Exodus, etc.) but i´ve always liked guitar parts which contain a lot of whammy abuse, divebombs, squeals (think Pantera, and i´ve been recenly getting into Children of Bodom a lot and more into the melodic death genres). I know the whammy bar isn´t used a lot in thrash, but it is used in melodic death and bands like Pantera -which i listen to a lot- So my problem here is: should i get a guitar with a whammy (and if i´m going to get one, it to have a Floyd Rose bridge) or should i get one with a "regular" fixed bridge? -no whammy.

I know how hard it is to change strings and tunings with a Floyd Rose guitar and more than just one guitar player has told me that i have to be very sure that i want Floyd Rose, and that if i´m not i should just get a fixed bridge.
I have a few brands in mind: Ibanez (was my first consideration), Jackson and most recently Kramer. I just found a new model Kramer got out this year, The Kramer Striker which has an original Floyd Rose, and it´s surprisingly cheap for what it is.

My budget is 500 USD, i think i could get my parents to extend it to 600 but a single dollar more than that and it´s a big "forget about it". So yeah make it around 500.

The Kramer that i was talking about fits perfectly into my budget, it´s around 400 USD and has an original Floyd Rose, and i LOVE Kramer guitars esthetically (sp?)
But there´s the complications of tuning/changing strings and whatnot.

It seems like there are no Ibanez´s with decent bridges around 500 USD. I first considered the Ibanez 350DX which has a whammy bar, and a double-locking Edge III trem which some guitarist have said to end up blocking because it starts going out of tune very easily after just a few months of use. The Ibanez models which do have decent bridges for whammy use are over my budget price...so there´s my problem.

Tl;dr: I´m having a hard time deciding what guitar to get as my 2nd guitar. I´m not sure whether i should get a guitar with a Floyd Rose for whammy bar use or whether i should just forget about the divebombs, squeals and all that and go with a regular or fixed bridge and get a nice Ibanez model (there are some very nice models i saw on my budget).

So please any insight, advice, help on this would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks and sorry for rambling a lot!
Last edited by Maru717 at Aug 20, 2010,
I don't really think you'll find a great guitar for that price with a floyd rose.
This is my best suggestion
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-EM2-Prophecy-Custom-FX-Electric-Guitar-with-Floyd-Rose-Tremolo-?sku=515613
Godin LG Signature
Samick UM-3
Ibanez Exotic Wood Series Acoustic- Burled Maple
Ibanez Artcore AWD-82
Ibanez ART-300
G&L Tribute series S-500
Squier Bullet special
Cameo Hollowbody
SX tele with neck p90

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX
Stay away from Epi IMO. Ibanez is packs a better bang for your buck. Also, we can't choose for you. Go into a music store and try as many guitars as you can for your budget. That's how I chose mine 2 years ago. You may end up regretting it but hey, you'll find out that's how it goes in music. Your taste changes and so you want to keep up with it. You'll end up having a boatload of guitars in the future if you love playing. I believe that you should look into Kramer, Esp and Ibanez to start and forget the floyd. In that price range it's not easy to get a good guitar with one. You can have a whammy bar with other bridges. But I think that's it. Look into those brands and others people may recommend and try as much axes as you can.
Quote by Sinister Waffle
Who pirates Winrar? that has to be the most passive aggressive program I've ever seen.

"hey you should really buy me, the 40 days is up"
* hits X button*
" Oh okay, maybe next time?"

You sir have just won a thousand internets.
The epi was just if you were hell bent on getting a floyd. Look into guitars with other locking trem systems and just play around.
Godin LG Signature
Samick UM-3
Ibanez Artcore AWD-82
Ibanez ART-300
G&L Tribute series S-500
Squier Bullet special
Cameo Hollowbody
SX tele with neck p90

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX
Honestly save up a couple more months or somethin and extend your budget to maybe 750? you will be a lot happier with that rather then a 500 dollar one which you may regret and wish you had a better guitar a year from now when you are a much better guitar player. Look at some schecters and possibly higher end ibanez RGs.
My Gear:
PRS CE 22 Tortoise Shell 2008
Epiphone SG Korina Custom 2004
Gibson Lg-1 Vintage 1965 Acoustic
Marshall AVT 50
Okay, thanks for the suggestions. Not really liking the Epiphone (but thanks for suggesting, really!). What do you guys think about this one? http://www.amazon.com/Kramer-Striker-Custom-Electric-Tremolo/dp/B00365FIYO/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1282361071&sr=1-1

It´s not even 400 USD and it has an original Floyd Rose. Are my eyes deceiving me or am i missing something? I´m seriously considering going after that one...i just have to be sure i want a Floyd...if not ...okay, i´ll have to settle for other locking trem systems like you guys suggest...

thanks for the suggestions!
I'd go for it. It's got good reviews on musicians friend. PLAY ONE first though. Also, check out the sexy purple finish. http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Kramer-Striker-Custom-211-Electric-Guitar?sku=423785
Godin LG Signature
Samick UM-3
Ibanez Artcore AWD-82
Ibanez ART-300
G&L Tribute series S-500
Squier Bullet special
Cameo Hollowbody
SX tele with neck p90

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX
I like the wood but I can't find anything about the pick-ups so those probably suck. Don't buy a guitar without trying it first.
Quote by Sinister Waffle
Who pirates Winrar? that has to be the most passive aggressive program I've ever seen.

"hey you should really buy me, the 40 days is up"
* hits X button*
" Oh okay, maybe next time?"

You sir have just won a thousand internets.
Yeah, i´m loving the transpurple one!

The problem is...i can´t try one! You see, i live in Uruguay (that´s in South America). And the guitar models brought here suck. And the ones that don´t suck are way overpriced. Just to give you an idea: an Ibanez beginner model (GIO) costs the same as an Ibanez RG 350DX costs in the US. There´s no chance you´ll find a Kramer in here. None of the models i´m interested in are brought here... so that i could try them even if i won´t buy them here. I´m going to ask my brother who is currenly in the US to buy me one. So yeah, actually playing one is not an option...major setback i know