im getting into srv's guitar playing style and was wondering which riff (not too difficult) i should start with to start
Guitar.
i dont think any riff would be too different, you just gotta learn it note by note and practice and practice until youre up to the right speed
SRV stuff isn't too hard just learn your pentatonic scale and some blues variations and you'll keep up with him in a heartbeat
Although I'm not that familiar with his work, I've heard that Pride and Joy is an okay starting point. From watching a couple of videos it seems evident he's fond of hybrid picking some of the notes to get that distinctive walking bass line style. Also, SRV is deceptively complicated Bad Kharmel, it's not easy to keep up with him. Matter of fact, all artists have some merit, they did get famous for a reason, no?
"2,000,000 NPS Whores" club.
Appreciating the beauty of music so fast it blows puny mortal's faces off.
Bow down to teh Shredzor!
PM La Qotsa if you want to join. No emotion? Pah!
I'd like to see an answer to this. Pride and Joy is not easy at all. The solo kicked my ass. SRV is, IMO, the best guitar player ever.
Quote by Sinister Waffle
Who pirates Winrar? that has to be the most passive aggressive program I've ever seen.

"hey you should really buy me, the 40 days is up"
* hits X button*
" Oh okay, maybe next time?"

You sir have just won a thousand internets.
It would stand to reason that one of his first songs on his debut LP would be among the easiest to learn. You could check that.
Honestly man, I spent a long time working on this type of thing, if you learn your pentatonic scales, and the blues variations, as well as work on your basic blues rythm progressions it will make SRV much easier, its how he learned so use it to your advantage, and it will become easy, for good individual songs by SRV pride and joy really is a good place to star, the other thing is working on Hendrix, SRV played lots and lots of Hendrix, Lenny, and Purple haze are a good place to start (if you can find Lenny played by Hendrix your lucky, most of the time you can only find the SRV version)
Quote by paquiquinho
I'd like to see an answer to this. Pride and Joy is not easy at all. The solo kicked my ass. SRV is, IMO, the best guitar player ever.

"best guitar player ever" you must really suck to say that, Pride and Joy is an easy song (inculding the solo), learn the rest of your scales and modes so you aren't trapped by a pentatonic box, then learn a little bit of intermidiate technique, and SRV will seem almost childish to you
First of all, he's entitled to his own opinion. Second, it is not an easy song for the majority of guitar players; if you can play it, good for you; don't be an ass. I would however echo his "learn the rest of your scales" as they're extremely beneficial to your playing and would help you make more sense of the songs you choose to play. As for modes, not so much; but are still a great thing to have at your disposal.
Just slow the song down and use a metronome for your practice sessions and you should also be able to play it. Good luck.
Quote by Bad Kharmel
Honestly man, I spent a long time working on this type of thing, if you learn your pentatonic scales, and the blues variations, as well as work on your basic blues rythm progressions it will make SRV much easier, its how he learned so use it to your advantage, and it will become easy, for good individual songs by SRV pride and joy really is a good place to star, the other thing is working on Hendrix, SRV played lots and lots of Hendrix, Lenny, and Purple haze are a good place to start (if you can find Lenny played by Hendrix your lucky, most of the time you can only find the SRV version)

wat

SRV wrote Lenny over 10 years after Hendrix died.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
wat

SRV wrote Lenny over 10 years after Hendrix died.

As much as I loved how you "This"ed me in the other thread, this is not helpful. Is there any advice you can give the threadstarter?
Quote by Bad Kharmel
"best guitar player ever" you must really suck to say that, Pride and Joy is an easy song (inculding the solo), learn the rest of your scales and modes so you aren't trapped by a pentatonic box, then learn a little bit of intermidiate technique, and SRV will seem almost childish to you

GTFO^
I don't always post in the threads but when I do its random and pointless because I'm ignorant enough to think you care.
Not really anything in addition to what's been said. It's just important to start slow and anything will be easy. Patience is key. As for songs to learn, Couldn't Stand the Weather is a favorite of mine. Other cool ideas would be Crossfire, Cold Shot, Testify, etc. I'd also recommend checking out some of SRV's influences so you don't wind up as a straight SRV clone.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Not really related to this thread, but just to build on what mmolteratx has just said; take influences in everything you listen to, not just SRV's influences. That way you'll truly be your own musician. Rock out!
My God, I feel like a fucking stinking hippy saying that.
Quote by Bad Kharmel
"best guitar player ever" you must really suck to say that

Them's fightin' words...

Anyways, back on topic, if you're at the right level you could try and learn his "Little Wing" intro. Really fun to play, but pretty difficult to imitate perfectly (feeling-wise). That's what makes it so fun; for example, the bits where I can't quite mimic his aggressive, passionate style, I throw in a little feeling of my own, maybe something chill, maybe something sad... You get the picture.
Gotta finish my work, then play some grooves, so I can turn my room into a house of blues...
pride and joy.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
Mary Had a Little Lamb and Rude Mood.

And wow. Kharmel is a dick and a douche.
I third that about Kharmel being a dick and a douche. Also lenny was written by SRV, not Hendrix.

Back on topic, I think mary had a little lamb would be a good starting point. Texas flood, his debut album would be perfect, if you can get it.
Wow, Kharmel, nice double post. If you're gonna be a douche to people on a forum, that's fail enough. But, double posting while trying to diss someone, that rly looks bad

Anyways, TS, check out: "Pride and Joy" and "Cold Shot". They're essential S.R.V. riffs, and should be do-able at your level.
Quote by Bad Kharmel

All youve done is tried to make yourself sound better than everyone else by sayin SRV is shit.

I think SRV is hard to a degree, you can get the craziest speed shredder and he/she might not be able to play SRV, it depends on style.

I reckon texas flood, it has alot of cool licks to learn and is a typically slow paced song.
Srv has some easy songs and some very difficult ones...I don't see him being the best ever but he's definatly cool...the reason people are into him is his tone...I've expierenced this for myself...and all of you can if you play some originals or some mainstream covers in a bar band then somehwere in the show play a slow blues with that type of tone the place usually comes unglued with screams....to a lot of people guys like srv are top notch and they know how to pull people in...

Anyways back to the subject I agree learn your pentatonic scales and work on your bending and vibrato...also srvs phasing and note selection were amazing for his limit technical ability,but its all comes down to is his tone....if you use that tone and noodle over some slow blues jams you'll know when you got his style down....good luck
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
the first song i learned from SRV was pride and joy, it's pretty simple, and pretty damn fun!!!!! check it.
I'M GONNA GIVE YOU A BAD CASE OF SOMEONE SHOT ME IN THE HEAD!!!
Pride and Joy is easy to play once you get that texas shuffle down, also try Down by the Drop, probably the easiest SRV song I've came across...literally. Lenny is worth trying too
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
Quote by MWriff
All youve done is tried to make yourself sound better than everyone else by sayin SRV is shit.

I think SRV is hard to a degree, you can get the craziest speed shredder and he/she might not be able to play SRV, it depends on style.

I reckon texas flood, it has alot of cool licks to learn and is a typically slow paced song.

That's what I forgot to say man...I am thankful when I first started all my guitar buddies were my dads friends,older guys that played blues and they got me into SRV from day one so a few years later when I started hanging with metal guys their like "I can't play the blues"and it blew my mind cause I always took the time I spent learning the blues style for granted

Quote by Bendybaws
also try Down by the Drop, probably the easiest SRV song I've came across...literally

Do you mean "life by the drop" ? Idk maybe it has a different name on the european release?

SRV was an incredibly nuanced player, so it would take years to play exactly as he did, but in terms of riffs Love Struck Baby is relatively simple, as is Mary Had A Little Lamb.
I honestly can't believe anyone would think Stevie Ray's playing could be termed "easy". That man played the heck out of a guitar.
But I would say "Pride and Joy" would be a good place to start. It has that cool muted upstroke thing that he like to use a lot. "Mary Had A little Lamb" could be good as blue_strat said.
I've been playing for about 2 years and i actually just got done learning most of his solo style(pick and chose what im going to use in my style anyway). the rhythm part im still working on. Pride and joy still kicks my ass. However, as far as songs and riffs, i'd say: "The House Is Rockin' " (pretty basic, typically easy blues song) "Tightrope", "Mary Had A Little Lamb" "Cold Shot" (it's a little boring but its not too bad) and my favorite is Couldn't Stand the Weather. Listen to em all, because you know your playing better than we do, and see whats doable for you. My biggest thing with SRV was my left hand muting. He chucks are all of the strings like he's strumming, but he only lets one note ring out. I'm still working on the muting, it takes some time to get fluently. Heres a good article on the muting: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/colu...e_-_muting.html

Edit: theres this guy on youtube who's obsessed with stevie (dont blame him) just put in stevie snacks on youtube and he has some pretty good video lessons
"The most important thing about music is energy and emotion, not how well you can play. Technique should be a tool to achieve your vision, not the other way around."
-Jeff Tuttle

More guitar, less ultimate-guitar!
Last edited by biker521 at Aug 25, 2010,
^Page not found.
Gotta finish my work, then play some grooves, so I can turn my room into a house of blues...
Id say rather than playing a song, listen to all of SRV, or at least a great chunk of his music so you get into the blues feel, listen to earlier stuff like Albert King or Hendrix which had great influence on Stevie so you get the mood. Then you can choose one of Stevies song and figure it out. As someone said earlier, it is not technically a challenge but the thing here is to get in the mood and play with the passion the blues guys play. It is also hard because of all of the syncopation and the rythm complexity of the songs. I think that Bad Kharmel is ignorant and can´t apreciate a musical genre or he is just being a douche. Anyway I hope you listen to Stevie and open your mind to other music.

bless.
Fender Telecaster Thin Line

(For playing fusion as a solo project)
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Vox Wah
Korg DT-10 Tuner
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Mxr Phase 90
Electro Harmonix Small Clone
Boss DD6 Digital Delay