Before you read the text, please watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpmtUgTzTYs&feature=player_embedded#at=121

This video took me to heavens then to the ground. To heavens because Phil X rocks, and to the ground because the tone is so beautiful that breaks my heart.

My gear is a japanese Fender Stratocaster Standard 22, 1989, Fender Vintage Noiseless pickups. I have a Boss ME70 and I intend on buying an Ibanez Tubescreamer TS808 very soon.

Today I sold my amplifier, a Fender Frontman 30W, to buy a handmade tube amp, based on the Vox AC30. This handmade amp has superb quality, it's the most reliable way to get the tube sound here in Brazil.

This morning I was playing on my old Frontman before sending it to the new owner. It sounded good, I got good tones with it, but not as good as this video's tone.

So, I ask you: can a tube amp give me this magnificent tone? Because I've already got the headstock decal, I just need the amp to get me the sound that made the brand that famous.

Best regards.
'89 Fender Stratocaster MIJ
Vintage Noiseless Trio
Kahler Bridge
Locking Nut
'99 Epiphone Les Paul Standard MIK
DiMarzio Super Distortion (bridge)
Boss ME70
Sennheiser HD 201
Quote by Wolfdale
Before you read the text, please watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpmtUgTzTYs&feature=player_embedded#at=121

This video took me to heavens then to the ground. To heavens because Phil X rocks, and to the ground because the tone is so beautiful that breaks my heart.

My gear is a japanese Fender Stratocaster Standard 22, 1989, Fender Vintage Noiseless pickups. I have a Boss ME70 and I intend on buying an Ibanez Tubescreamer TS808 very soon.

Today I sold my amplifier, a Fender Frontman 30W, to buy a handmade tube amp, based on the Vox AC30. This handmade amp has superb quality, it's the most reliable way to get the tube sound here in Brazil.

This morning I was playing on my old Frontman before sending it to the new owner. It sounded good, I got good tones with it, but not as good as this video's tone.

So, I ask you: can a tube amp give me this magnificent tone? Because I've already got the headstock decal, I just need the amp to get me the sound that made the brand that famous.

Best regards.

first of all ditch those Vintage Noiseless pickups and pickup some Fender Custom Shop 54's for that 54 Strat tone. Then Shield it up for less noise. The 808 and a Fuzz is what you need. Thats it
What is thall? THALL
Agile Interceptor Pro 727
POD HD500
Carvin DCM1000L
Behringer Rack Tuner
Carvin Rack Case
Mogami Cables
Well two things if Phil X could play something beyond a pentantonic scale he'd almost be okay, and if you really want good guitar tone NEVER BUY FENDER
Quote by Bad Kharmel
Well two things if Phil X could play something beyond a pentantonic scale he'd almost be okay, and if you really want good guitar tone NEVER BUY FENDER

Hahahaha, ok. So what should I buy? Ibanez, Jackson, Charvel? No thanks.

Quote by Mobiusr
first of all ditch those Vintage Noiseless pickups and pickup some Fender Custom Shop 54's for that 54 Strat tone. Then Shield it up for less noise. The 808 and a Fuzz is what you need. Thats it

I always thought those Vintage Noiseless pickups would be a problem. Do you think they would kill the stratty sound? Because I'm not really into replacing them, not now, because I've got to pay for the amp and the 808 before.

Thank you very much, Mobiusr.
Vintage Noiseless Trio
Kahler Bridge
Locking Nut
Boss ME70
Sennheiser HD 201
Quote by Bad Kharmel

Ignore that
Quote by Amaseng
Ignore that

Ignore that cause it's true, Fender started as a cheap electric guitar, Gibsons fed-back far less from the get go, and as for jackson and ibanez if you set your tone right you'll obliterate and fender, fender started out as squire caliber and never got much better, and as for phil x he's only played for a whole bunch of shitty pop acts (look it up if you don't believe me) and for his "bet ya can't play this" he tremelo picked a pentattonic scale, wow we hit intermidiate level guys I guess we're awesome.
Quote by Bad Kharmel
Ignore that cause it's true, Fender started as a cheap electric guitar, Gibsons fed-back far less from the get go, and as for jackson and ibanez if you set your tone right you'll obliterate and fender, fender started out as squire caliber and never got much better, and as for phil x he's only played for a whole bunch of shitty pop acts (look it up if you don't believe me) and for his "bet ya can't play this" he tremelo picked a pentattonic scale, wow we hit intermidiate level guys I guess we're awesome.

Ok, thanks for your opinion, I appreciate that.

But please, let's focus on my issues here. That matter can be discussed on other threads.

Thank you very much.
Vintage Noiseless Trio
Kahler Bridge
Locking Nut
Boss ME70
Sennheiser HD 201
In my opinion, for me, the stereotypical strat tone is basically on the 2nd and 4th position. Try that. And lots of reverb if you want to do Little Wing (though I don't think he's using it in the video, and he's using the 1st position).

So yeah. For that video, I can't really help you
I think if you have some good vintage style pups then it help you get quite close. Though there's no reason another type won't get you that sound.
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
Quote by Bad Kharmel

What are you talking about? Are you high? 1st of all, Phil X is an amazing guitarist. 2nd of all, ARE YOU HIGH? What is wrong with Fender? EDIT: Sorry TS. Got sidetracked by a troll. Vox AC30's are famous for their clean tone, so that is where the majority of that sweet tone is coming from. You could look at a Vox AC15 however. They are well within your price range.
Epi Elitist LP Plus
Marshall Class 5
Vox AC30 CC2

"A person is a success if they get up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do."
Last edited by The3818919 at Aug 21, 2010,
Quote by The3818919
What are you talking about? Are you high? 1st of all, Phil X is an amazing guitarist. 2nd of all, ARE YOU HIGH? What is wrong with Fender?

Don't feed the troll please...
Vintage Noiseless Trio
Kahler Bridge
Locking Nut
Boss ME70
Sennheiser HD 201
Guys, just ignore the Kharmel guy. He's an evident troll, all he's trying to do is get a rise.

Anyway, as said, swap out the noiseless pickups, then just get a good fuzz and a tubescreamer and that amp with your strat will hit everything you'll expect/want from a strat.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by Bad Kharmel

TS, if you can afford the, I'd suggest getting some Lollar pups. They blow away pretty much anything else as far as Strat tone is concerned.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by Bad Kharmel

Some of the most legendary tones of all time have come from people playing Fenders, both guitars and amps. You must be on some pretty good drugs man.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Bad Kharmel

Yeah, you'll definitely want custom-shopped pickups if want to get closer to the tone of Phil X. And we can't really judge the standard of a homemade amp until we hear it, so soundclips please?
I own an Ibanez J-Custom

I am Guitarnoob_100. Say hey

PSN: Whiski_Guy
Xbox Live: Chris2194

Steam: Galiathslay
Quote by Bad Kharmel

Phil X is 100x the player you'll ever be, my friend.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by Wolfdale

I always thought those Vintage Noiseless pickups would be a problem. Do you think they would kill the stratty sound? Because I'm not really into replacing them, not now, because I've got to pay for the amp and the 808 before.

Thank you very much, Mobiusr.

Actually you can go look at Guitarfetish.com for some good cheap quality 50s pickups for under 80 bucks (whole set)
What is thall? THALL
Agile Interceptor Pro 727
POD HD500
Carvin DCM1000L
Behringer Rack Tuner
Carvin Rack Case
Mogami Cables
Want sweet Strat tone? Two words... Lindy Fralin.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
I have dimarzio area 58 and 61 pickups in my "bluesy" strat I really like them....but a tube amp and a tubescreamer and you'll be there bro.
That dude had pretty cool tone,not my bag but its cool...everyone has there favs...I tend to like guys like doyle bramhall2 or something for that kind of thing... And the troll problem...lol fender sucks huh? Well why did you even click on this thread??...I've seen this troll in particular in sooo many fender threads why?everyone likes different things deal with it....I'd love to hear that dudes tone lol
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
Quote by Wolfdale

no offence intended i hope because my charvel san dimas is pretty much sounding like that. only that it doesn't have the really sparkly single-coil tone.

first thing sounds like this guy's jealous of phil's playing because that guy has a certain energy around him. second thing; he doesn't know crap if he thinks fender has bad tone...