I never really use the middle pickup. I have a HSS and all i use is the Neck and bridge pickup. I'm planning on getting a HSH soon and i dont know if that will make a difference but for HSS i never use the middle.

So i don't know if this will sound stupid, but i was wondering is there anything cool you can do in that position (i dont mean just pickup wise it could be like putting spare picks in there or w.e be creative as possible)?
Quote by MatrixClaw
anyway, i must be off, my gf says we gotta go cause i poked her and now she's bleeding

Quote by BobDetroit
The real question is why the **** are you talking to your mom about a Mesa?What the hell did you think she was going to say?"No dear, I prefer Dual Rec tone?!"
Mount a bottle opener so you can always have a way to open yer beer at beerthirty.
ESP Eclipse Standard Series W/ PRS Santana II Pickups
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
Avatar 412 Traditional Cab(v30's+G12H30's)
Malekko, Rocktron, T-Rex and MXR/Dunlop pedals
route it for hsh
Guitars:
94' Epiphone Les Paul Honeyburst
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG560

Amp:
Peavey Valveking Head
Marshall 1960b
Instead of H-S-H, make it H-PUSHPOP-H
Godin LG Signature
Samick UM-3
Ibanez Exotic Wood Series Acoustic- Burled Maple
Ibanez Artcore AWD-82
Ibanez ART-300
G&L Tribute series S-500
Squier Bullet special
Cameo Hollowbody
SX tele with neck p90

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX
hahah these made my chuckle more than made me think "damn that clever!"

Quote by Karpet King
route it for hsh

how? and is it that expensive. Am i going to have to cut some of the wood out and all?

Quote by legallydead
Put some crazy LED light show up in there.. just sayin

i might acutely do this
Quote by MatrixClaw
anyway, i must be off, my gf says we gotta go cause i poked her and now she's bleeding

Quote by BobDetroit
The real question is why the **** are you talking to your mom about a Mesa?What the hell did you think she was going to say?"No dear, I prefer Dual Rec tone?!"
Last edited by Aashraya at Aug 21, 2010,
yeah there are 2 ways:

1. cut the wood cavity to fit a humbucker in there(you might be able to find a tech to do it)

2. get a stacked humbucker which will need no drilling
Guitars:
94' Epiphone Les Paul Honeyburst
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG560

Amp:
Peavey Valveking Head
Marshall 1960b
Quote by Karpet King
yeah there are 2 ways:

1. cut the wood cavity to fit a humbucker in there(you might be able to find a tech to do it)

2. get a stacked humbucker which will need no drilling

stacked sounds better but none of number 1... I'm too lazy.

but that still doesnt fix the middle pickup thing :P

it just makes it a HSH
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Dude. Put a hot rail in the S position.
EDIT: Then it'll be HHH
Godin LG Signature
Samick UM-3
Ibanez Artcore AWD-82
Ibanez ART-300
G&L Tribute series S-500
Squier Bullet special
Cameo Hollowbody
SX tele with neck p90

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX
Last edited by adamrandall at Aug 21, 2010,
Quote by adamrandall
Dude. Put a hot rail in the S position.
EDIT: Then it'll be HHH

but what would this serve? having 3 humbuckers? but 2 are really single coils
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
The only use I’ve ever seen for middle pickups is killing the hum on Strats. Which shouldn’t really be a problem on guitars made in 2010 (I said shouldn’t, not isn’t!). Personally I’m tempted to just swap my strat for a tele so my pick never hits the stupid thing.
Quote by jpnyc
The only use I’ve ever seen for middle pickups is killing the hum on Strats. Which shouldn’t really be a problem on guitars made in 2010 (I said shouldn’t, not isn’t!). Personally I’m tempted to just swap my strat for a tele so my pick never hits the stupid thing.

My guitar is made in 88 but theres not hum... other than when i playin really high gain brootalz which most guitars have hum..

And i dont have a strat. lawls

P.S just lower the middle pickup to stop you pick from hitting it.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
my HHH idea was just that a hot rail might offer a different sound you'd find yourself using more often.
Godin LG Signature
Samick UM-3
Ibanez Artcore AWD-82
Ibanez ART-300
G&L Tribute series S-500
Squier Bullet special
Cameo Hollowbody
SX tele with neck p90

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX
wait until you get it. with HSS you can still get the single coil tone in the neck position, so you can ignore the middle position. with HSH you might be glad of the middle single coil tone for a bit of versatility.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by jpnyc

spoken like someone who truely has no idea how pickups work

the hum is due to the design of the pickups. changing the design so they dont hum will sound completly different. well made pickups do a lot of things to reduce the hum, and in most cases are very quiet. but those same techniques have been the ones being used for 40 or 50 years. the fact that its half a century later means very little when we are still dealing with something as deceptively simple as a magnetic pickup.

TS: i personally use my middle pickup all the time. it has a distinct tone that is not the same as either the neck or bridge. it took some time to grow into it though. also, as dave said, now that you will no longer have the neck single coil you might be very glad of the middle one. dont plan on getting rid of it until you spend some time with the guitar and truly try it out.
Quote by jof1029

TS: i personally use my middle pickup all the time. it has a distinct tone that is not the same as either the neck or bridge. it took some time to grow into it though. also, as dave said, now that you will no longer have the neck single coil you might be very glad of the middle one. dont plan on getting rid of it until you spend some time with the guitar and truly try it out.

Thanks for the responses. Well i will have both HSS and HSH, but i'm more of guy who prefer 1 guitar to do all of my songs and one as a back up. I dont want to have to switch guitars between songs(which is what i've been doing and it gets old...)

So right now i have a HSS and i might get a HSH. I was just wondering what i could do the the HSS. I havent decided what to do with the HSH because i dont know how it will be compared to a HSS.

One thing that is stopping me from using the middle is becasuse all my pickups are set at differnt rated pots (i dont know a lot about these things so forgive me if i sound stupid) The guy i bought it from said like the Neck and middle are suppose to be in like 150k and 250k pots but they are in lower one so there is huge volume drop.

The Bridge is loud and the Neck is okay lowered (not to big of a drop) but the middle is a huge drop. I use it to lower my volume sometimes when i'm too lazy to reach for the volume (my volume knob is where my tone should be and vice versa) and it also doesnt help the fact that i like my middle pickup lowered so i dont hit it with my neck.

So this might be stopping me from using its full potential. I'm acutely liking the idea of making my current guitar a HSH if i dont get the HSH guitar.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by ethan_hanus
Just put nice single coil in it, the middle position is really best for cleans, and blues, so that's what I would use it for.

only blues i play is jimi hendrix. well any recommendations on the nice single coil?
Dont know a lot about pickups.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by Aashraya
only blues i play is jimi hendrix. well any recommendations on the nice single coil?
Dont know a lot about pickups.

This one looks promising, has a 23.5 resistance, which is damn good for a single coil, so it should would with a hot bridge, but it's mainly a neck pickup.
http://www.zzounds.com/item--DIMDP217

This one may work better as a middle pickup, its a stacked humbucker, which, I love stacked humbuckers, no hum, but sound exactly like a single coil, has more output(23.72), better bass response, slightly cheaper too.
http://www.zzounds.com/item--DIMHS3
Quote by ethan_hanus
This one looks promising, has a 23.5 resistance, which is damn good for a single coil, so it should would with a hot bridge, but it's mainly a neck pickup.
http://www.zzounds.com/item--DIMDP217

This one may work better as a middle pickup, its a stacked humbucker, which, I love stacked humbuckers, no hum, but sound exactly like a single coil, has more output(23.72), better bass response, slightly cheaper too.

i might need a Pickup with more bass because my Dimarzio fred is like really treably. And plus i would probably switch my neck pickups first rather than middle.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by Aashraya
i might need a Pickup with more bass because my Dimarzio fred is like really treably. And plus i would probably switch my neck pickups first rather than middle.

Yeah, but I'm going off the assumption that you want sparkling cleans, and nice tight sounding blues tone, which is exactly what both deliver, finding a good single coils that doesn't cost $80 is hard, but custom made pickups are the best option.

I can recommend you the Barenuckle Trilogy Suite single coil for the middle, just got mine yesterday, love them to death, best money I've ever spent. But they are $80 a coil, so only buy them if you really want a nice pickup for the middle.

I buy all my pickups from here: www.guitarasylum.com

Here is a track I recently recorded, I'm using the middle pickup(a Trilogy Suite single coil) to play the rhythm guitar, and the neck pickup(a Trilogy Suite single coil) to play the lead. All going through Nick Crow's 8505(very nice Peavey 6505 amp sim).

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8920099/TS%20Middle%20R%20Neck%20L%20The%20Unexpected%28with%20bass%29.mp3
Quote by ethan_hanus
Yeah, but I'm going off the assumption that you want sparkling cleans, and nice tight sounding blues tone, which is exactly what both deliver, finding a good single coils that doesn't cost $80 is hard, but custom made pickups are the best option.

I can recommend you the Barenuckle Trilogy Suite single coil for the middle, just got mine yesterday, love them to death, best money I've ever spent. But they are $80 a coil, so only buy them if you really want a nice pickup for the middle.

I buy all my pickups from here: www.guitarasylum.com

Here is a track I recently recorded, I'm using the middle pickup(a Trilogy Suite single coil) to play the rhythm guitar, and the neck pickup(a Trilogy Suite single coil) to play the lead. All going through Nick Crow's 8505(very nice Peavey 6505 amp sim).

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8920099/TS%20Middle%20R%20Neck%20L%20The%20Unexpected%28with%20bass%29.mp3

thanks, acutely i'm not in need for any blues tone. all i want is nice cleans and a nice fludiy Lead tone. Thats sounds smooth and rounded off but doesnt cut of gain like single coils usually do compared to humbuckers. I've acutely thought about getting Bareknuckles, but i dont know if i would like to put it on this guitar. The guitar need a setup first there is fret buzz which bugs the shit out of me. Maybe i'll get nice bareknuckles or JB on another guitar that fits me perfectly.

And i dont might spending 80$ for a pickup. I acutely thought that is relatively cheap for a good pup.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by Aashraya
thanks, acutely i'm not in need for any blues tone. all i want is nice cleans and a nice fludiy Lead tone. Thats sounds smooth and rounded off but doesnt cut of gain like single coils usually do compared to humbuckers. I've acutely thought about getting Bareknuckles, but i dont know if i would like to put it on this guitar. The guitar need a setup first there is fret buzz which bugs the shit out of me. Maybe i'll get nice bareknuckles or JB on another guitar that fits me perfectly.

And i dont might spending 80$ for a pickup. I acutely thought that is relatively cheap for a good pup.

Yeah, the only reason it doesn't cut well is because I recorded that using a VST amp sim without an interface, so the gain is really rough for the lead.

The single coils are $80, the humbuckers are $150, naturally.

I wouldn't put just one BKP in your guitar, it's best to get a calibrated set, or just the same brand, so you don't have any issues with the pickups, I went through the whole mixing different brand pickup thing, doesn't work too well.
Quote by ethan_hanus

It doesn't sound exactly like a single coil. I use a stacked humbucker in my neck position and with the volume pot at full it's not all that clean. If I roll it off a bit, however (which I normally do) it sounds absolutely marvelous for cleans. Still, don't expect it to sound like a vintage strat or anything.
Quote by jof1029

Quote by jpnyc

i'm pretty sure that's not the use for it, or at least the originally-designed use. It'll only kill hum if the middle pickup is reverse wound reverse polarity (RWRP) and the original strat pickups didn't have a RWRP middle pickup. I *think* the original use was to use the middle pickup as a pseudo bridge pickup (it's a little warmer, but then single coils are fairly bright anyway), and then use the bridge pickup when you needed a really cutting, bright tone (say for a solo).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by ethan_hanus
Yeah, the only reason it doesn't cut well is because I recorded that using a VST amp sim without an interface, so the gain is really rough for the lead.

The single coils are $80, the humbuckers are $150, naturally.

I wouldn't put just one BKP in your guitar, it's best to get a calibrated set, or just the same brand, so you don't have any issues with the pickups, I went through the whole mixing different brand pickup thing, doesn't work too well.

yea the lead sounded a bit harsh but those painkillers are ****ing brootal!! jesus christ! The cleans sound great too.

yea man i mean i am gonna get bare knuckles if i can afford it :P 310$ for pickups (plus shipping and tax)

I dont think i will be putting BKH on my current guitar well until i get it fixed up to my liking anyways.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit