Page 1 of 2
Hey guys,

I've been having trouble sleeping for the past year (on and off, but it's progressively gotten worse).

It started in the winter of last year where I'd go to bed around midnight and get up at six for school.

The previous school year I started going to bed later and later and I'd usually cap out around three. Again, I'd get up at six.

Now, it's summer, and while sleeping patterns do get ****ed up, I've been going to bed at five or six in the morning and getting up in the eight to ten range in the morning.

I know the Pit isn't my doctor, (trust me, I don't want the Pit as my doctor) but any ideas of what this is or what to do?

This probably wasn't described very well and I'll be more than happy to try to explain it differently if it's not making sense.
Insomnia my friend, or you've disrupted you sleeping patter.
my advice is have a active day,play some sports,run ,weight life e.c.t and try to get to bed earlier.
seeing a doctor is the best medicine thought.
Ibanez sz720fm,Ibbly RG350DX, Custom Tele-> Dunlop 535Q->RAT Pro co II-> Ibanez Fuzz->Marshall Haze 40.
Tascam US-800 and a hand full of Mics into Nedundo 4

my music, new recording on the way in 2014

[B]insert witty italicized quote here
your sleeping rhythm is ****ed up. if you keep going to sleep late, your body adjusts to it and you wont be able to fall asleep at the regular time. It will take some time to get back to your normal schedule, so except to be groggy while you make the transition.

As for actually falling asleep in the first place, try alot of exercise during the day, eating a big meal, smoking weed during the day.
sɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɥʇıʍ poob ʇou ɯı uʍop ǝpısdn sıɥʇ sı ʎɥʍ pob ɥo
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Um...go talk to your local family doc? Seriously.

My parents think I just stay up on the computer all night. I do. But it's because there's nothing better to do. They took it away for a couple nights and it was the same thing. I tossed and turned for two hours. I've tried explaining it but they don't get it.

Quote by jwax
Insomnia my friend, or you've disrupted you sleeping patter.
my advice is have a active day,play some sports,run ,weight life e.c.t and try to get to bed earlier.
seeing a doctor is the best medicine thought.

I've been working out twice a week and have had football practice two days a week as well. I just can't fall asleep.
Quote by Outerspacegrass
smoking weed during the day.

Exercise and do things during the day that will tire you out. I used to have the same problem until I stopped being a lazy **** in the summer.
They don't sleep anymore on the beach..
i had the same problem, i was basically getting 10hrs of sleep a week while working and going to school. i whacked myself out on mt dew and energy drinks cuz i figured hell why fight it, but then that put me in pretty bad shape haha.

there's this stuff called relaxzen, it's like opposite energy drink. it chills you out while calms/focuses you. you can find it where ever basically, give it a try and lemme know what you think
Quote by captaincrunk
This isn't a guitar forum.

Try WebMD.

Quote by MH400
www.ultimate-guitar.com

Maybe you need to have a real talk with your parents, TS, and ask them if you can at least see if the doctor thinks it's an issue. Cuz sleep...we need sleep. Without it, shit ain't good.
usually, within an hour of when i wanna go to bed, ill take off my shoes and at least PRETEND im tired, until i sorta convince myself. ill usually get something like tea or milk, then ill listen to relaxing music, something thatl get your mind in a dream-state, so to speak(e.g., silent lucidity by queensryche).

i wouldnt be on the computer or anyting like that, though, but if i had to id kinda look away from the screen whenever possible, cause the light from the computer can keep you from growin tired.
but thats just my routine, though.
Cut it back gradually. Start going to bed at 3, you won't fall asleep at first but eventually your body will adjust. When you can sleep at 3 ok, take it back to 2 etc etc. Takes a while but it works. Or, pull an all nighter, then go to bed at like 10/11 the next night and kick start it from there.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
I've had the same issue for years. I've seen doctors and taken lots of sleeping pills, but none of them worked. The only thing that has consistently put me to sleep is weed, so currently my choice is either minimal sleep or drug dependency!
kill all humans
Quote by jambi_mantra
Cut it back gradually. Start going to bed at 3, you won't fall asleep at first but eventually your body will adjust. When you can sleep at 3 ok, take it back to 2 etc etc. Takes a while but it works. Or, pull an all nighter, then go to bed at like 10/11 the next night and kick start it from there.

this. and keep the bed for sleep, don't play xbox or whatever in bed. My bed is strictly for sleep, reading, and watching futurama. Also set a consistent wake up time. I know that doesnt sound like your issue but I get up at 9 at the latest regardless of what I did the night before.
GO Islanders!

J!E!T!S! JETS JETS JETS!!!!!
Quote by jambi_mantra
... Or, pull an all nighter, then go to bed at like 10/11 the next night and kick start it from there.

Would that really work? I'm having the same problem as TS and school starts in a week D:
I can't wait till my fro is full grown.
Quote by FishStik
Would that really work? I'm having the same problem as TS and school starts in a week D:

Yea, the all nighter and day after means that by 10/11 you're completely spent and fall asleep easily. You get a decent nights sleep, say 9/10 hours and you're up at 8. A whole day from 8am is a long day, so by the 10/11pm, you're knackered and fall asleep.

It's how I get over long distance travelling. I arrived in Australia after a 14 hour flight at 5am, despite being completely shattered, I stayed awake until 10, slept, and was fine because I'd put myself into a day night cycle.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
I sometimes get sleep problems, it's so annoying
Quote by jibran
I go to the pit only to just look at your creepy perverted username.

My Tumblr
Weed use it wisely.

//Thread.
If You See Me Posting In The Pit HIT ME.
Quote by KingJak236
My hamster used to bite me when I picked it up, then it got too old and fat to bite and died in a pool of it's own vomit.

Quote by Kensai
That's the rockstar way to go. I salute him.
Quote by Nexium
Weed use it wisely.

//Thread.

Then get dependent on that to sleep... I've been on prescription sleeping pills since i was 15, i'm 21 now trying to get off them. Best thing i ever did was stop taking illegal drugs to help me sleep and took up sport again and doing some weights. Still on sleeping pills but reducing the dose and its going good. Still haven't had one day where i've felt refreshed though
Quote by Burningritual
Then get dependent on that to sleep... I've been on prescription sleeping pills since i was 15, i'm 21 now trying to get off them. Best thing i ever did was stop taking illegal drugs to help me sleep and took up sport again and doing some weights. Still on sleeping pills but reducing the dose and its going good. Still haven't had one day where i've felt refreshed though

Yeah but this just seems like another...Ya know..

But the kid is a -95 so sorry if i can't take this thread to seriously i wonder what will happen when TS get to experience real life.
If You See Me Posting In The Pit HIT ME.
Quote by KingJak236
My hamster used to bite me when I picked it up, then it got too old and fat to bite and died in a pool of it's own vomit.

Quote by Kensai
That's the rockstar way to go. I salute him.
Speaking of sleeping problems, anyone else have the recent moon phases affect their sleeping? These past few nights, it's been hard to fall asleep, and a bunch of my friends have been saying the same thing.
Quote by imdeth
You're like internet Jesus!

This signature feels so empty now.
i'm shit at sleeping. i just lie there until about 5-6am every night alone with my thoughts (not too nice). and then i wake up every hour or two until 10-11 and lie in bed until like 2 because i cba getting up. i've tried doing an all nighter then going bed at a reasonable time but the same thing happens.
however i can say that it's not as bad the more i work out, so try that (:
Well friend, I'm going to be honest, I have read that fapping releases shit in your brain to help you sleep. Also, turkey.
I had this same problem earlier in the Summer. I have two words for you that will fix your problem guarenteed:

Food Network

Seriously, just sit your ass down at around 11-12 and pop on the food network, and you'll be out like a baby in about 15 minutes. Works like a charm. Paid programming usually starts at around 1-2, but you will be out by then.
Quote by Ape_Natural
I had this same problem earlier in the Summer. I have two words for you that will fix your problem guarenteed:

Food Network

Seriously, just sit your ass down at around 11-12 and pop on the food network, and you'll be out like a baby in about 15 minutes. Works like a charm. Paid programming usually starts at around 1-2, but you will be out by then.

That'll just make him hungry .

TS, I'll just give you a swift kick in the h9s to knock you out.
Quote by due 07
That'll just make him hungry .

Yeah, but then he can cook himself some delicious food, and everyone knows a full stomach makes you sleepy. Combine that with food Network Nighttime and goodnight...
I've had problems sleeping since I was about 12 (I'm 22 now) and believe me, it will not just go away. There are different degrees of insomnia, some people have chronic some people have milder forms where they'll go for days, weeks or a few months with trouble sleeping.
Things I can recommend is trying to tire yourself out a few hours before sleeping, I usually aim for a midnight/1am sleep time so I'll go for a run at like 10pm/11pm to tire myself out. To hell with the computer, it's just an excuse for staying up - same for the TV. If you're staying up, try reading or just staring into space getting some thinking done, you'll probable go to bed a lot quicker. Anything more active and you'll be wide awake focusing on it. There's natural things you you can take as well that make you sleepier but I'm not a fan of eating before bed.
During college, it got so bad that I would go for days without sleep and the side effects are terrible, your attitude changes, you become a lot more high strung and oddly enough I had serious paranoia for whatever reason. I got prescribed ambien which is a really strong sleeping aid but I wouldn't recommend it at all. It leaves you with a headache in the morning and you can't really remember anything about the last hour or so before bed which isn't always a good thing. I used them to get used to re-establish a normal circadian rhythm then stopped because it just didn't feel right.
Everyone who said go see a doctor is right, nag at your parents until they understand that it's a real issue, my parents didn't pay attention until they would see me sitting at the stairwell at 4 or 5 in the morning just playing guitar for night on end.
Maybe I should follow my own advice, it's 3 in the morning where I'm at right now lol
Quote by RG5EX1
Speaking of sleeping problems, anyone else have the recent moon phases affect their sleeping? These past few nights, it's been hard to fall asleep, and a bunch of my friends have been saying the same thing.

There's been studies of this, a lot of people apparently experience trouble sleeping more during full moons. Some sleep better though.

Also, people are more likley to go mad, experiencing epileptic fits and so forth, hence the term 'lunatic' from 'luna' meaning moon.
Some people have delayed sleep phase syndrome, but it's probably just because you are used to going to sleep around 5 or 6 in the morning. But it could be any number of things because I don't you.

There's lots of teas in health stores that are actually surprisingly effective. Sleep aids in Wal-mart are good too, but I would research anything before you try it. Buying it in a health food store doesn't mean it's good to use it every day, and buying it in pill form doesn't mean it's dangerous. Try it, and if it persists, then talk to a doctor. And yes, weed would help but that isn't healthy every day either (for the mind or for the body).

EDIT: And I totally skipped over things like white noise or any other "neutral" sound. I've also heard that if you can't fall asleep, you should get up after a while of just laying there, and do something else, and then a little later try again. It's like an associating-bed-with-not-sleeping kinda thing.

EDIT2: And don't watch tv/use the computer before going to bed. Try reading.
Last edited by Miniskirt at Aug 23, 2010,
stress, physical pain, blah blah blah

lots of reasons for insomnia, but it sucks in general. Just find a way to get yourself dopey before bedtime I guess, or try sleeping earlier
I say go to the Doctor they will be able to tell if you have insomnia or another medical condition. I know that some vitamin/mineral deficiencies can cause insomnia so the doctor will probably run a blood test. If all that comes up normal try not to get on sleeping pills because you can become dependent. There is a medication called melatonin that you can get at any drugstore/ Walmart that may help you sleep basically it's a dose of the chemical that your body makes naturally when you get tired but don't take my word for it when you go to the doctor ask him/her about it just to make sure that its your best course of action.
I have the same problem. When it gets too out of synch, when you're able to, try doing that thing where you go to bed two hours later every night until it comes full circle and you're sleeping like a normal human being.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Isn't in obvious? You have nothing to get up early for, so you don't.
Start settling your alarm a bit earlier than when you wake up and stick to it.
My patten is also completely ****ed because I don't have a job at the mo.
Been in Japan since August, no fucking money left!
So I just slept from eight O'clock PM to five forty AM, and I feel really tired.

I ended up passing out on the couch and my dad woke me up and told me to go to bed, which I did without further prompting.

I don't think I woke up in the middle of the night like I've been doing the nights I have gotten to sleep.

Now, I think the only reason I slept this long was because I've only been sleep two to four hours a night, if that, and yesterday I didn't sleep at all.

It's a small victory, but for some reason, I feel like this is going to be a rare occurance.
I have a problem similar to OP's, except I tend to stay up for at least 36 hours, sometimes up to 48 in a row, and then get tons of sleep when I'm finally tired. It's somewhat cool I guess, but the novelty has worn off.

Quote by CoreysMonster

I still like cho0onger more than the 2 of you

Quote by OneHappyCamper
joke's on you, i actually fuck my cat
soon you'll start seeing little bald doctors and strange lights around everything....[/StephenKingref.]
e-married to the most fabulous Fashionista ever, Rarity
e-mom to Scootaloo, somehow
Quote by dawgeth321
Let's warm our wings, fly through the clouds, and dance in the sky, mon capitaine.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Spit is a milf

UG 8-BIT ALBUM
SoundCloud
Page 1 of 2