Sup guys! Guitar player here. I played my friend's bass the other day, now I'm hooked. Tried some basses out at the store the other day, fell in love with the Squier Vintage Modified Jazz bass. Seems amazing for the price, nothing but good reviews too. I'm getting it.

Now I need an amp. I love orange amps (a lot). From what I've been told, tube vs solid state doesn't matter quite as much for bass as it does for guitar, because overdrive/crunch isnt needed etc.

This is in my price range...
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Orange-Amplifiers-Crush-PiX-Bass-Series-CR25BX-25W-1x8-Bass-Combo-Amp?sku=424058

Now this would only be for home practice/jamming with friends (drums probably not included). I play all genres.

Anyone have experience with the amp? Is it trash or is it a good beginner amp? Any reasons why I definitely should/shouldn't get it?

Thanks in advance! I finally figured out guitar gear...now I have to figure out bass...lol.
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
It's a great little practice amp, Orange's bass gear is as top notch as their guitar gear. It'd be great for home practice, although you'll find it a tad lacking for jamming with friends, unless your friends are running through 10-15W practice amps.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Alright. I guess I could always get the 12 inch higher wattage one. A bit more expensive though...
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
Looks good for home use, but to play it with a band you would need something bigger.
I'd recommend it.
Quote by Ayses
From what I've been told, tube vs solid state doesn't matter quite as much for bass as it does for guitar, because overdrive/crunch isnt needed etc.

I think tube amps are important for basses too. Not because of overdrive but because I feel I want a smoother and warmer tone rather than a sterile solid state. (This is personal preference of course.)
Great bass tone. Not a lot of highs, though.
EDIT: In the rare occurance that you dont like the tone, you might have a hard time getting something diffrent from it, too. The EQ on it doesnt do much, in my experience.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Last edited by c3powil at Aug 21, 2010,
Quote by Ayses
Sup guys! Guitar player here. I played my friend's bass the other day, now I'm hooked. Tried some basses out at the store the other day, fell in love with the Squier Vintage Modified Jazz bass. Seems amazing for the price, nothing but good reviews too. I'm getting it.

Now I need an amp. I love orange amps (a lot). From what I've been told, tube vs solid state doesn't matter quite as much for bass as it does for guitar, because overdrive/crunch isnt needed etc.

This is in my price range...
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Orange-Amplifiers-Crush-PiX-Bass-Series-CR25BX-25W-1x8-Bass-Combo-Amp?sku=424058

Now this would only be for home practice/jamming with friends (drums probably not included). I play all genres.

Anyone have experience with the amp? Is it trash or is it a good beginner amp? Any reasons why I definitely should/shouldn't get it?

Thanks in advance! I finally figured out guitar gear...now I have to figure out bass...lol.

I have no idea where you heard that tube amps doesn't matter, but a lot of the greatest bass players are using all tube amps. As for practice combos, their resale value is horrid, and they are very hard to get rid off. I would try to find one in the used market before paying retail.
Last edited by Skeletomania at Aug 22, 2010,
Tube isn't nearly as important as for guitar, ignore these people haha
Most of the highest end bass amps are tubes, but for any beginner and most intermediates ss will do you just fine.
Ive heard great things about orange, don't worry about the volume or slight upgrades though. Youd need an entire different amp for band (with drums), ie something like a 4x10 with 300watts. That combo should set you up nice for practice by yourself though
Quote by ExurKun
Tube isn't nearly as important as for guitar, ignore these people haha
Most of the highest end bass amps are tubes, but for any beginner and most intermediates ss will do you just fine.
Ive heard great things about orange, don't worry about the volume or slight upgrades though. Youd need an entire different amp for band (with drums), ie something like a 4x10 with 300watts. That combo should set you up nice for practice by yourself though

Tube amps are considered high end is because they're expensive to produce. The only all tube amp that falls under the 1k price range is the Traynor YBA200-2. Also, it's not about the importance, but a tonal preference that some bass players prefer all tubes. That is why Ampeg SVT's are still considered the industry standard that all others are judged.
you're not gonna need a 300 watt amp to play with a band. the bassist for the band i was in had a Roland Cube-30. and it cut through the mix just fine.
My Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Ebony)
Ibanez RR250
Squire Strat

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Line 6 Spider III 15

Boss DD-20
Boss OS-2
Boss BD-2
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Quote by Enigma829
you're not gonna need a 300 watt amp to play with a band. the bassist for the band i was in had a Roland Cube-30. and it cut through the mix just fine.

But he's blasting the hell out of it, right?

I use a Cube 30 for practice, with a drummer, guitarist and singer, in a small room, and I can barely hear myself. I have the volume right up and the gain on the brink of turning into a farty mess.

Depending on the ensemble and type of room you're playing, you'd need a lot more power. Especially for gigs. That's why you see most bassists here follow the rule of thumb that the bass amp should be around 2 or 3 times as powerful as the guitar amp(s).

It's the same reason why you see guitarists playing through huge 100 watt full stacks. You're never gonna use the full 100 watts, but you need the extra power so have lots of c;ean headroom.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by fleajr_1412
But he's blasting the hell out of it, right?

I'm sure it did fine against his 15 watt Spider.

Hit your craigslist, you'll be able to find something a lot better like an old used Peavey or Ashdown or something like that.

I've never played that crush before but I couldn't see you getting very good bass out of a single 8" speaker.
i was using my 40w Hot Rod Deluxe.
My Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Ebony)
Ibanez RR250
Squire Strat

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Line 6 Spider III 15

Boss DD-20
Boss OS-2
Boss BD-2
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
ive been eyeing the crush cr50bxt and i think ive convinced myself it will be loud enough for a band...anyone else play a 50w with a band?

i have a 10 yr old rogue 30w with 10" speaker and an open back and i cant get it but to 11 oclock(not even half way) before the speaker "farts" and it is ALMOST loud enough to be heard with a drummer (quite loud) and a guitarist(softer/classic rock)....

so my logic is that the power with a 30w would be there with a better speaker/more efficiant cab...therefore a 50w with closed back and 12" speaker would be better..and for gigs use the DI
Iv been telling myself the same thing. I'v been wanting to get the Crush cr50bxt as well. With a built-in tuner you cant go wrong.
they have the 100w version but its $469...little outta my price range at the moment. but im sure this would be amazing! these amps seem pretty new as i cant find a whole lot of info other than the basic specs and selling info
Quote by Radtastic89
With a built-in tuner you cant go wrong.

That's terrible logic. I played a $200 ashton bass with a built in tuner and it was the worst instrument I've ever played.