i've been looking around the internet for evidence that mahogany 'sounds darker' and maple 'sounds brighter'.

I've been looking for soundclips. Sound clips of two guitars side by side, with the exact same design, exact same hardware, exact same neck but different body woods.

I can't find one. Can anyone here link me to one?
You wont find it. To get any kind of plausible results you'd need 2 guitars exactly the same apart from the part you're trying to compare, and its never been done AFAIK.
Either way, its pretty much globally accepted that there is a difference.
What he said. I'm sure there has been enough science done regarding the density/makeup of different types of wood and how sound waves travel in and around them etc.
I'm not about to claim I know about any of this, but having said that; if everyone says mahogany is darker/warmer than maple, I am so far inclined to believe them.
go to a guitar shop and play the same thing on the different bodied guitars and use your ears, totally pointless thread, sort of question you`d expect from a 6 year old
Quote by ibanezgod1973
go to a guitar shop and play the same thing on the different bodied guitars and use your ears, totally pointless thread, sort of question you`d expect from a 6 year old

can you find me two models that have the exact same hardware, neck, and design, that are made out of different woods?

if two models like that existed, i didn't even have to make this thread.

anyway, i made this thread hoping that the UG community could perhaps help in providing material that could perhaps give us further insight into the subject. you didn't have any material, and yet you came in calling me a 6 year old?

if you think this is a pointless thread. feel free to report it to the mods.
just play 2 guitars with those types of wood.

from my experience i can say that my charvel san dimas style 1 is way brighter than my gibson les paul standard.
Quote by wolvenrick
just play 2 guitars with those types of wood.

from my experience i can say that my charvel san dimas style 1 is way brighter than my gibson les paul standard.

because if the two guitars have different hardware, there is no point in a comparison at all.

i was just hoping to find proof that whatever people are saying about tonewoods is true.

further more, a charvel san dimas style 1 has a completely different body design from a les paul. no accurate comparison can be made that way.
Quote by sharp__edge
because if the two guitars have different hardware, there is no point in a comparison at all.

i was just hoping to find proof that whatever people are saying about tonewoods is true.

further more, a charvel san dimas style 1 has a completely different body design from a les paul. no accurate comparison can be made that way.

I assume that all the information available on sites such as warmoth.com are based on completely fair comparisons
Search on the most popular pickup. Seymour Duncan JB or Jazz for example. You will see people slapped them onto a bunch of different guitars and post them on youtube.
Try to spot the different between a typical Ibanez RG or Jackson Dinky and a Fender strat with the pickups on. They mostly have maple neck but different body material.

You really should go to music store and hear the different with your own ears, buddy.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Last edited by hminh87 at Aug 21, 2010,
Where's someone with a maple and standard SG when we need them.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
I've actually been in your same boat man. I really wish there was a website and i didn't have to rely on words for what i want my ears to define. I think it would be a really cool project to complete. Play on amps with the same settings through a couple popular pickups on a few super strats that are the same in every aspect but the wood. Mahogany Maple Ash Alder Poplar.. etc Through a Jb, Dimarzio distortion, Emg, Paf, Piezo, Single coil. Through a Marshall Jcm 800, Fender twin, Mesa Recto, Maybe some boutique amps if possible, all with two or three different settings based on mid levels. High mids medium mids and low mids(i guess i am more of a mids junkie so i guess it would be nice to mess with the highs and lows too).
I Survived The "Silent Deftone Cocksucking Forum"!-August 15th, 2006