Hey guys.

I'm having a hard time recording myself playing any instrument. I have no pedals attached or anything, but for some reason I am getting odd, choppy sounds instead of what should be heard when I play it back.

On my profile, I've saved what it sounds like, and I played a common known tune so you know what it should sound like. It's titled "Recording problem".

Please help!

Thanks.
Quote by slash_GNR666
You sir, are a giant c*** and you finger will forever haunt my dreams.

Quote by Kind, Non-Existant User
Coco-Loco is the finest bit of meat on the butcher block.
Nothing. No pedals or anything.

This is my point. It's just a lead connected to my guitar and the computer.
Quote by slash_GNR666

So you're direct recording from the guitar to the microphone in jack on your computer, without using a DI box, interface, or anything else?
Interface? I'm not sure what that is? Perhaps...Sorry I'm such a noob
Quote by slash_GNR666

Quote by X V I I
So you're direct recording from the guitar to the microphone in jack on your computer, without using a DI box, interface, or anything else?

No, I'm not...I don't even know what they are though...

...should I be? :S
Quote by slash_GNR666

Quote by coco-loco
No, I'm not...I don't even know what they are though...

...should I be? :S

So, to clarify, you have a 1/4" instrument cable plugged into your guitar, and that very same cable (likely using a 1/8" mini stereo jack), is plugged directly into your computer?
Spot on.

Problem?
Quote by slash_GNR666

Quote by coco-loco
Spot on.

Problem?

I MAY have found your problem. Guitars for the most part are high-z (high impedence) electronics. Your computer (as like, 99.997% are), namely your sound card, are set up for much lower impedence inputs, like a microphone or a headset, or similar. Plugging directly into the sound card on your computer will generally have negative effects on your sound when doing direct recording, unless you get a DI (direct input/injection) box. What a DI does is it takes your guitar's signal, lowers the impedence, and puts it a level to where direct recording or plugging straight into a mixer is much more clear and true to the actual guitar's signal. DI boxes can also be replaced by using an external audio interface, or by simply using a mic to record.

DI boxes have all sorts of price ranges, depending on the features, quality, and brand name, but you can pick up one that will do the trick for between $20-$40 USD. Try going on Musiciansfriend.com and doing some research. They may not ship to all parts of the world, but you can get a good idea as to how the box performs from the reviews posted (usually), and the tech specs on each one.

Also note, that this is just what I perceive as being your problem. It could be any number of things, such as the software you're using to record, the cable/jack, etc...

I went ahead and found some useful links for you on MF that may give you an idea what to look for, as well as a basic recording guide, which may give you some perspective on home recording as well.

Getting started recording
Recording gear overview/buying guide
DI box overview/buying guide
Last edited by X V I I at Aug 21, 2010,
*Reported*

This is the wrong forum for a question like this. Try Riffs & Recording instead.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found