Page 3 of 10
Finally finished routing for pickups...

Note the channels underneath the maple for the wiring... this was done before the maple was glued on, better than drilling holes
Quote by Levi79
Oh wow. This is going to be a fucing beast man! I think it`s safe to say this is probably going to be one of the best builds I`ve seen on here!

Thanks man, i hope it turns out well... it doesn't take much to screw it up. It'll be interesting to see how it sounds..
Quote by salgala2000
ahh good idea. I always imagined drilling the holes for the wires would be the scariest part of building a guitar.

yeah i always get nervous when it comes to doing any drilling or routing and this was the simplest solution that had the least chance of going wrong, though your options are kinda limited if your guitar body is a single piece of wood..
Quote by extra heavy
Have you decided what color your going to stain it?

yeah, i'm staying with the red with the black burst and fake binding. The korina seems to take stain well so the back is going to be a fairly dark red/maroon colour.
Quote by matt154
yeah, i'm staying with the red with the black burst and fake binding. The korina seems to take stain well so the back is going to be a fairly dark red/maroon colour.

Nice. I'm very intrested to see the burst affect. I don't know if i mentioned in earlier posts but I plan on building an explorer before I go off to college and I think if it had a maple top or something similar to yours with a red fade to black burst it would look sexy. Not trying to steal your ideas or anything.
Quote by extra heavy
Nice. I'm very intrested to see the burst affect. I don't know if i mentioned in earlier posts but I plan on building an explorer before I go off to college and I think if it had a maple top or something similar to yours with a red fade to black burst it would look sexy. Not trying to steal your ideas or anything.

Nah, go for it, it sounds great. Most of the explorers i usually see are all pretty plain looking with plain colors, it'd be great to see a figured top with a burst effect.
yeah i want to see some more pics.

i REALLY want to make an s-style soon, and this is pretty great inspiration. I don't follow many builds like i do this one.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Quote by matt154
Note the channels underneath the maple for the wiring... this was done before the maple was glued on, better than drilling holes

lol, I've made only 2 guitars, both with maple tops, specifically so I could do that...lol and every guitar I plan on building in the future shall be no exception...lol

Looks great though so far, cant wait to see it with some colour and a clear finish. Based on the test blocks a posted a while back I'd do the green, or blue... you can never have enough blue guitars... (all my builds were blue... I'm sorta obsessed...) But its your build.

Good luck.
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
Alright here's some more stuff:

I've decided to redo the neck from scratch as a 5-ply using flame maple with bubinga stripes. It'll have flame koa binding and more of the quilted maple on the headstock. Since it'll take a while to get the wood, i can't work on the neck joint or the trem rout because they both depend on the neck being finished..

so i'm currently working on the holes for all the electronics. Iv'e drilled and test fitted two pots and cut a slot for the 5-way switch:

The pots are just some emg pots which i was using for testing because i don't have any other short shaft pots lying around... The slot was cut using a very fine cutting wheel on a dremel tool, it burnt a little from friction but thet'll come off with sanding..

And a note about the pencil line in the cavity: this side of the cavity will be angled upwards because this is where the jack mounts. The jack in an S is an angled hole cut into the surface of the maple top and angled down so it meets the control cavity. It's similar to a strat jack but uses the wood itself rather than a metal plate. i'm expecting this to be a real pain in the ass to cut because the maple is really brittle and chips easily...

And i'm not sure what pups to use yet, iv'e got a set of EMGs left over from another build but i'm thinking of going for passive instead..
Just finished cutting the area for the jack so people can get an idea of how it works:

Here's an actual ibanez control cavity for reference:

http://i42.tinypic.com/neeqe8.jpg

This whole thing is a complete pain to do and it would be easier to do the jack in the side rather than the top, but that would kinda ruin the look.
Last edited by matt154 at Jan 31, 2011,
This is an awesome build! I think you should not paint the top of the guitar. Anyway, Ibanez S body is really sexy.
i love my S470

Wish I could afford a prestige or had the willpower/money to build one

Keep it up
Gear's : Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube | MicroCube | Noisy Cricket | Ibanez S470DXQM Blue Burst | Takamine EG440C
Pedals : MXR M-108 EQ | Digitech Bad Monkey, Sanpera I, GFS Tuner

Seref : Cali would put a health warning on celery if they could
Quote by extra heavy
So hows the build going? Its been awhile since we've seen any updates.

Yeah it's taking a while to get wood for the neck, there should be some progress soon..
Quote by act31
That was a bit of a necrobumb ya jerk

Rhythm in jump, necrobum
Lalala... ^^
Quote by matt154
Yeah it's taking a while to get wood for the neck, there should be some progress soon..

What kind of wood are you using for the neck?
Quote by extra heavy
What kind of wood are you using for the neck?

I wasn't going to update until more had been done but the wood i'm using is AAAA flame maple cut into thirds lengthways with two bubinga veneers glued in-between to make a 5ply. The maple is on it's way and should arrive this week. I'm hoping to find a local source for the bubinga veneer during the week too.

The neck pocket has also been cut out to AANJ dimensions (except a little smaller to allow for a tight fit and some room for sanding).

pics to follow soon...
Quote by matt154
I wasn't going to update until more had been done but the wood i'm using is AAAA flame maple cut into thirds lengthways with two bubinga veneers glued in-between to make a 5ply. The maple is on it's way and should arrive this week. I'm hoping to find a local source for the bubinga veneer during the week too.

The neck pocket has also been cut out to AANJ dimensions (except a little smaller to allow for a tight fit and some room for sanding).

pics to follow soon...

Sounds like it will look very intresting best of luck!
The neck wood finally arrived.

Here's some specs for the neck:

- 22 frets
-Width at nut: 43mm
-Width at last fret: 56mm
-Thickness at 1st fret: 19mm
-Thickness at 12th fret: 21mm
-15° headstock angle

The neck will have a scarf joint for joining the headstock. Since i'm gluing some of the left over quilted maple from the body on the face of the headstock, there may be enough thickness to do a volute.

To do the scarf joint i used a band saw and a 15° guide done up out of some plywood. The bandsaw isn't the most reliable way to do this and in hindsight i should have used a table saw, but it turned out well enough:

Also, more progress on the body... The jack mount was a pain in the neck but worked out in the end. This was done using milling machine and a tilting table that i was able to clamp the body onto while it was being cut. The angle of the hole ended up being about 30°.

nice man, looks like a really clean cut.
Gear:

Yamaha RBX 550

Hartke Model 5000

Quote by the humanity
unless you are 21st level, you are not having epic problems.
Finished gluing the headstock:

I cut some left over maple from the body for the headstock. This will give me some extra thickness to the heastock to maybe do a volute on the back.

The neck after being cut into thirds:

I put some black veneer in between to get an idea of the way it'll look. I'll probably use this if i can't get some long bubinga veneer instead.

Quote by RepBassCS
nice man, looks like a really clean cut.

Thanks. I realise now that the faster the cutter is going the better... the quilted maple on the body is brittle as all s#*t and i tried drilling holes with a handheld drill such as the holes for the pots and it chipped. routers and mills are the way to go.
wouldn't it have been easier to do the pinstripes before you did the scarf joint?

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Quote by MonkeyLink07
wouldn't it have been easier to do the pinstripes before you did the scarf joint?

yeah, but then i'd have to match the stripes perfectly when joining and since it shifts a bit while it glues i thought this would be s less risk method
Thanks. I realise now that the faster the cutter is going the better... the quilted maple on the body is brittle as all s#*t and i tried drilling holes with a handheld drill such as the holes for the pots and it chipped. routers and mills are the way to go.

Good to know.

This is looking great man, keep it up, and best of luck
Gear:

Yamaha RBX 550

Hartke Model 5000

Quote by the humanity
unless you are 21st level, you are not having epic problems.
The right jack arrived and i did a test fit with the pots and switches:

Also i've glued the segments with the veneers and sanded everything back somewhat flat. There is some glue left and some rough parts but looking good:

I'm up to the point of gluing the headstock veneer on and i'm tossing up whether or not to do a reverse headstock or not.

I can't find any pics of any reverse headstock s guitars on the net and thought it would look cool. Any opinions?
I think the normal headstock would look better, you may want to do some mockups and see which looks the best.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Quote by matt154

I can't find any pics of any reverse headstock s guitars on the net and thought it would look cool. Any opinions?

Great project man! Good work you've done so far.

As for the pic, I photoshoped one real quick for you. I think it looks great reversed, but that's always been my preference on most guitars.
Last edited by zexwhy at Nov 24, 2010,