Page 4 of 10
It would definitely be unique to have a reversed headstock on an S. If it were mine I would probably go reversed. I think it gives it a more "metal" look. Of course that could be good or bad depending on your taste.
reversed for sure!
Douglas Spad with EMG 81x's
Epiphone LP jr. with EMG 89 split coil, alot of upgrades
Rig:
Power conditioner, Hush, ART Quadra/FX Reverb (all 3 in a rack), Peavey XXX, 2 Mesa 4x12 cabs.
I've always preferred normal headstocks, but thats just me. Reverse would be more unique, as mentioned above, but it really comes down to what you like the look of.
Gear:

Yamaha RBX 550

Hartke Model 5000

Quote by the humanity
unless you are 21st level, you are not having epic problems.
That's 5 in favour of normal and 4 in favour of reversed. I'm still not sure which way to go, although i noticed that the normal side of the veneer iv'e got has more figure so i might end up going with normal on this one. I might still get round to making a reversed version one day.
Non reversed is more practical xD Reversed if you drop it because of strap failure the tuning heads are liable to break, plus tuning is more tedious xD Then again it looks better ;D I say go reversed haha.
Finished routing the neck pocket in. It's intentionally undersized and i'll sand it back to the right size later:

I also ended up going with the normal headstock. This side of the veneer has better figure and i might get round to doing a reverse s one day anyway:

The veneer is thick enough to follow with the router so i'm using it to shape the headstock.
Some more work on the neck:

The neck has been trimmed and a slot cut for the truss rod. I'm using a Hot-Rod truss rod from Stew Mac and installing it with the adjusting nut facing towards the heel, similar to a fender layout. This means you have to pull the neck off to adjust it but at least i don't have to cut away at the headstock.

Iv'e also gone with an ebony fretboard instead of a rosewood one. Since the body is maple and korina i'm guessing it'll get a similar tone to a les paul or any maple+mahogany guitar which is pretty warm. I'm hoping the ebony will make it a bit more crisp, plus i think it looks better.

It's getting flame koa binding on the sides plus I'm going to have a bash at doing my own inlay work too. I'm going to try and get something closer to the J-custom inlay.
The inlay work is taking forever... Iv'e chucked out the idea of the J-custom vine thing since i want it to be a bit more unique and since almost every piece of inlay needed to be a different shape and size and it would have taken forever. Instead iv'e gone with this gothic design i like that iv'e borrowed off a Schecter which has fret markers where most of the pieces are the same shape, so i can do them one after another and it shouldn't take as long.. I plan to add a vine behind the markers in abalone as well

The pearl was cut with a scroll saw with a very fine blade and finished off with a set of files. They were then traced around on the fretboard and the cavity was cut out using a dremel tool. The pearl i'm using for the markers is black pearl and i might add some abalone.

The pickup rings also arrived and iv'e done a test fit with the set of EMGs i had from a previous build. Iv'e also got a hot rail for the middle position to try if i decide to go passive with this one..

That looks awesome, I really like those inlays.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Quote by MonkeyLink07
That looks awesome, I really like those inlays.

Thanks. They're off a Schecter Damien Elite 6 but iv'e modified the design a bit by cutting them out badly
The inlay is still taking forever but iv'e been doing stuff around it...

I've glued the koa binding onto the fretboard and then glued the fretboard itself to the maple neck. The fretboard itself isn't radiused yet and i will use it to follow with the router to cut the maple underneath flush...

The inlay is also coming along. I've been gluing the pieces in with black superglue which i also use to fill gaps. The glue blends in with the ebony well and you hardly know it's there.

I've also cut a slot for the locking nut. I did this with a mill so i could get good accuracy but it could fairly easily be done with chisels, saws etc..

As soon as the inlay is done then the rest of the neck can be finished fairly quickly... i've got to find some decent rasps to shape the back of the neck, but it should be fairly simple from then on...
I'm loving this...I may steal a few of your idea's when I get around to building something like this....Love the fretboard binding. Congrats on the clean job
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
Quote by vodkanoodle
This is looking really really good man

Thanks
Quote by nowa90
I'm loving this...I may steal a few of your idea's when I get around to building something like this....Love the fretboard binding. Congrats on the clean job

yeah go ahead, most of the stuff i use, including the koa binding, is from StewMac if you need it...
more progress on the neck...

I'm about two thirds through the inlay. I've also been doing more work on the neck and headstock.

Neck and headstock roughly trimmed with the band saw:

I've also trimmed the headstock and taken it down to the right thickness and also shapped part of the volute. The hump of the volute is now right under the nut, so i can drill and screw the nut in from the top so there's no screw holes on the back of the neck:

Once the headstock was trimmed flush with the router i also drilled holes for the tuners:

The holes for the tuners are stepped. The bottom part is the same width as the tuner shaft and the top 3mm is the same width as the threaded section on the shaft so the tuners don't move or rattle at all once installed.
Quote by Gary.Blizzard
I like the imperfections of the inlays.

Do you mean the colors or my dodgy cutting skills? Pearl is a pain to cut and it was difficult to find pieces with matching colors and reflectivity. The small dots are actually abalone while the rest is black pearl. Viewed from a distance and with the frets on i'm hoping you won't notice the problems much.
Quote by ranga97
I like the whole project very very much!!!
Congrats!

Thanks
ive never looked at this build until now and i am sad about that.
i really really like the binding and the gorgeous wood looks great man. too bad about the colour imperfections on the inlay. inlay wouldve looked rad with koa like the binding
Quote by Doonan
ive never looked at this build until now and i am sad about that.
i really really like the binding and the gorgeous wood looks great man. too bad about the colour imperfections on the inlay. inlay wouldve looked rad with koa like the binding

Thanks, koa inlay would have been nice. It's rare to see wood inlay on the fretboard.
The inlay is finally done.
I've also done the neck pocket to the right size... I did this by making a template that perfectly fit the end of the neck and laying that over the body and routing:

(dont worry about the up and down on the template. I've measured the neck and it's perfectly symmetrical so there's no change made when flipping it over. I did it like in the picture so i could use the centerline on the back of the neck as a guide, so when the template is flipped over i can use it to line up with the centerline on the body.)

Iv'e also shaped the heel part of the neck, by making it the correct thickness and rounding the ends:

Here's the neck in the pocket:

It's a pretty snug fit which is good.
Next up is shaping the back of the neck...
Quote by Levi79
Thats so nice man. amazing job on that neck! Especially those inlays! Beautiful!
I'm excited to see the end product.
Is the neck going to be as thin as an Ibby?
I love the neck on my 97 S

Thanks. I got better at the inlays as i went down the neck so now it looks like one of those evolution diagrams, progressing from dodgy to clean.
Anyway i'm shaping the neck to my personal feel as i go, so it might end up fairly thin because i like thin necks...
More progress on the neck:

Now that the inlay is done i've been getting into it and things have been happening faster. I've shaped the back of the neck at the first fret and shaped the volute:

I also shaped the part under the 12th fret and the heel and then connected them up. The shaping was largely using a rasp and the part where i connected the 1st and the 12th fret i did with a spokeshave.

Here it is after some sanding:

Here's the neck with some Tru-oil on it to show off the flame :

Next up is attaching the nut and drilling for the screws to hold the neck in. After this is done then i can sort out where the bridge will be and then rout that in.
Quote by 3-R4Z0R
Wow, that neck looks so awesome with that finish!

Thanks, you hardly notice the figure when it's rough. But it's damn sexy with oil on it.. I've used tru oil before on necks and IMO it's the smoothest, nicest finish next to bare wood
Quote by matt154
Thanks, you hardly notice the figure when it's rough. But it's damn sexy with oil on it.. I've used tru oil before on necks and IMO it's the smoothest, nicest finish next to bare wood

In that case I'll have to order some of that stuff from the US for the next build I might make (or might not, don't know yet ^^).
Finished the frets...
I spent most of the weekend doing the frets. I rounded the ends to a semi-hemispherical shape, like you see on some high end guitars.
It ended up being around 10 mins per fret. It wasn't probably necessary but it looks good and feels really comfortable to play:

I also lowered the nut a bit once i had the frets as reference.
Next up is attaching the neck and routing the bridge cavity. I'm thinking of going to a local engineering place and getting the bridge rout done on a CNC instead of doing it myself, once i have the money though...
amazing fret work
@jecox ssssoooo ssweeeet that whole set up is so sweet. If I had any distortion/delay setup it would be the akai headrush and BM. Awesome set up.

Quote by jecox13
amazing fret work

Thanks, it seems worth the extra effort to do it nicely, but i'm not going to be doing it again any time soon...

Quote by vodkanoodle
how do you do such intricate filing with no visible damage to the fretboard at all? Great stuff, totally worth the extra effort!

Thanks, i did most of the filing before installing the frets. I also polished them with a dremel tool which gets rid of most of the scratches and makes them smooth..
Things have been happening slower while i've been searching for a place to do the bridge rout. In the meantime i've rounded the heel on the body roughly like an AANJ and bolted the neck to the body :

I've also done up a proper model of the bridge cavity that can hopefully be used to rout with a CNC:

I could probably upload the model if anyone's interested once i've done a test cut to make sure it works and that my dimensions are right.

Next up is routing the bridge and stringing it up to test string height and fret buzzing.
Last edited by matt154 at Mar 6, 2011,
Great work, the attention to details there are awesome. It's a shame to see you using Solidworks though, Autodesk inventor is a much better CAD suite

Chur
Quote by Lightbluemk2
Great work, the attention to details there are awesome. It's a shame to see you using Solidworks though, Autodesk inventor is a much better CAD suite

Haha, i'm using it at uni and my uni doesn't have Inventor. Solidworks seems to be working well enough, i rarely if ever use it though...