Page 5 of 10
Quote by Levi79
Wow, this is going to be a phenomenal axe man.

Thanks can't wait to play and hear how it sounds it once it's finished
Quote by Pikka Bird
What's that line along the AANJ outline?

Ahh that's actually a repair. I cut too much off the korina early on and added another piece in. You can see it in earlier pics, I was hoping noone would notice.
Things have slowed down while i've been working on getting the bridge rout done. In the meantime i've been finishing off the neck.

I've coated the back of the neck in Tru-oil and smoothed it over with some 0000 grade steel wool. I've mounted the nut properly and adjusted the action and neck relief.

I've also stained the headstock the same red I will be doing on the body:

Here it is after clear coat:

The headstock has got nitro clearcoat and this is blended with the Tru-oil around where the volute is to give a smooth transition.

Once i finally get the bridge done then i can start doing the same with the body.
Damn that headstock looks great!
You should have left it after you sanded it back though, that second pic looks awesome
Quote by littlephil
Damn that headstock looks great!
You should have left it after you sanded it back though, that second pic looks awesome

Thanks, it looks similar to PRS' faded blue jean finish. I wasn't expecting it to look that good when i sanded back.
+1!

I did a uke with a faded blue jeans finish, I love it!

Chur
That guitar is beautiful! I can't wait to see it finished.
That headstock looks great!

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Oh man, that headstock looks awesome! Second pic looks cool, and I'm really digging the third pic (though it appears to be a little too dark). The fourth somehow feels like it's lost some of the 3d effect.

Still, can't wait to see it all together.
Amps
Randall RG50TC, Roland Cube 15x

Guitar
LTD MH-100QM, Washburn X12

Effects and Etc.
Ibanez Weeping Demon, Boss FV-500H, Ibanez TS7, Ibanez PH7, dbx 31-band EQ, ISP Decimator
Just an update for those still watching: i've got access to a cnc to carve the bridge rout but i have to wait another month to do it. In the meantime i've been doing the wiring but not permanently (so i can take it all out when it comes time for finishing the body.) I've also bought a set of anodized tuners to match the nut and the bridge. If i get bored in the coming month i might stain the top seeing as the cavities are all going to be black anyway. Anyway, once the bridge is done this should be finished pretty quickly. Stay tuned.
thats a really nice deep red on the headstock....but if it were up to me, i woulda went with the natural finish and gold hardware
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
just read all 9 pages of your thread. awesome job, man! i'm waiting for the final pictures
ESP/LTD MH-100QM See-Thru Blue
Behringer GM108
Vox Wah-Wah Pedal
Quote by EspTro
thats a really nice deep red on the headstock....but if it were up to me, i woulda went with the natural finish and gold hardware

Each to his own. I recon it'd look great like that too, maybe i'll save that for another build.

Quote by daverockz
just read all 9 pages of your thread. awesome job, man! i'm waiting for the final pictures

Thanks i'm looking forward to finishing it.
Tremendous thread man. Ive always wanted to have a go at making my own: unfortunately I have all the metal working tools a man could need, but none for wood

Cant wait to see it finished.
Gear:
PRS Tremonti SE with PRS USA Tremonti pickups
2001 Ibanez RG470
Peavey Bandit 112
Fender Superchamp XD
USA Jackson SL1
Oh man that looks great. Good to see you're still working on it, I thought it died :/
Gear:

Yamaha RBX 550

Hartke Model 5000

Quote by the humanity
unless you are 21st level, you are not having epic problems.
this looks so amazing! wish i had the patience to make a guitar xD
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Quote by Dempsey68
this looks so amazing! wish i had the patience to make a guitar xD

Thanks.

While i'm at it, I might as well give an update to avoid the necrobump: I've got a CNC on the way and i've been spending most of the time learning how to use it. The tuners have arrived and I've also finished working out the electronics. I'm not going with a battery for the EMGs because i'll probably swap them out for passives at some point and i don't want a useless battery box. Instead i'm going with this phantom power pedal idea i had to power the pups. Updates and pics soon.
seriously, i just found this thread and was looking through all the posts and pictures and let me say this is a fine piece of art. I love the fact that you are showing attention to detail and are not afraid to make mistakes or change things to fit the way that you want them. It looks amazing not to mention I am envious of how you can do all of this. I am remodeling a guitar and would love to eventually be able to build from scratch. my hats off to you man it looks amazing and I can't wait to see the final product.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Jeez, this is putting the pressure on to finish this. haha thanks. It's happening so slowly i've had time to be careful, i don't think i'd do so well if it was a commission build.
Last edited by matt154 at Apr 25, 2011,
Quote by matt154
Jeez, this is putting the pressure on to finish this. haha thanks. It's happening so slowly i've had time to be careful, i don't think i'd do so well if it was a commission build.

take as much time as you need to make it perfect

seriously,this is one of my favourite builds, has been a personal sticky since the beginning
i'd better say don't be patient and upload the fking pictures lol jk do your best.
ESP/LTD MH-100QM See-Thru Blue
Behringer GM108
Vox Wah-Wah Pedal
Some more progress. I've got the pickups mounted and the cavities at the proper depth. Plus i've got most of the electronics done. For the moment I've got an EMG 85 in the neck, 81 in the bridge and an SA in the middle. I've got a volume and an SPC tone control to warm up the 81. I've also put a boost switch in the middle to try out, if i don't end up using it i'll put a pot in there instead:

I'm going to tidy up the wiring later once i've got the selector switch in there, plus the battery clip is going to go.

I got bored waiting to get stuff done so I've got started on a hardcase for the guitar. The wood is 3/4 inch ply so the case will be f*cking solid and probably pretty heavy. I figured i'm not going to be gigging much with this guitar so i don't need to worry about weight. If i do, then the roadie can worry about that.

Still waiting on the cnc...
Stickied.
Quote by diofan88
You already have an alcohol problem: The problem being, you lack alcohol

Quote by laid-to-waste
no, this is the first time i've ever rubbed another man's nipple in a jacuzzi

it was horrible
omg OH MY GOD why have you built my dream guitar for yourself?
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Thanks a bunch for the comments everyone.

Quote by EspTro
omg OH MY GOD why have you built my dream guitar for yourself?

It was never meant to look like this, it started out as an RG build. I was going to put that maple top on my RG knockoff but the wood underneath was crap and i thought the maple deserved better. So i got the korina and then decided to make an S since it was going to be a completely new body, then i made the new neck... It's just kinda built up.
Some more stuff: I've installed the new tuners.

They're Ibanez tuners which i got off ebay. They're reverse headstock which means the way they're turned is the same as normal ones but the tuning pegs are mounted on the other side of the posts. I got these because i had to move the holes a bit higher up to align with the strings and using normal tuners would have make the headstock look weird.

I've also quickly finished making up the case. I've added supports for the neck and a place to put strings etc. and i made up a lid to go with it. Everything sorta lines up so i'll move on to finishing it. I've got some vinyl to cover it and i'm going to get some 1 inch thick foam to line it. I'm still looking around for some hinges, corner protectors and a handle.

I'm still waiting on the cnc but it should be much longer. Btw thanks to metalwarrior40 for the inspiration for the case design.
Quote by Levi79
Looking great dude. I love how you made a case for it haha.

Yeah it was mostly out of boredom waiting for stuff to arrive.
The tuner solution- is the structurally sound? I have always been told that they need to be the "right" way around because then the gear will be leveraged against the worm, but I could never quite figure out how important it is, since I've never seen a post that had enough wiggle to enable the gear to skip at all.
I haven't found any problem with them, i did think of that and tried turning them while putting some stress on them and they seem fine. I think gotoh makes them for ibanez and the gotohs i've used before are great quality. I'll have to see if they hold up over the long term though..
^Yeah, I'm putting Ibanez Prestige Gotohs on my future RG knockoff build and they don't have any wiggle in the posts at all, so if the ones you have are similar then I have great confidence in them too.
Looks a bit snug down at the bottom of the body... Have you takin into account space for strap buttons??

Apart from that, it all looks great. I like the idea for a boost switch. Could see that being really useful
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

Greatest quote of all time?

I think so...
Guitar looks great!

Quote by Pikka Bird
The tuner solution- is the structurally sound? I have always been told that they need to be the "right" way around because then the gear will be leveraged against the worm, but I could never quite figure out how important it is, since I've never seen a post that had enough wiggle to enable the gear to skip at all.
Yeah I think it's down to the quality of the tuner.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by MickAlmighty
Looks a bit snug down at the bottom of the body... Have you takin into account space for strap buttons??

Apart from that, it all looks great. I like the idea for a boost switch. Could see that being really useful

Yeah i only had so much wood and it turned out to be a pretty tight fit. There's just enough for the tuner button but i might hollow out part of the wood at the bottom so it can sit in there and allow some more room.
Quote by matt154
Yeah i only had so much wood and it turned out to be a pretty tight fit. There's just enough for the tuner button but i might hollow out part of the wood at the bottom so it can sit in there and allow some more room.

Bare in mind that youl be putting foam in there too...

Hope you find a way to make it work

Loving the guitar, that red finish is by far one of my favourites
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

Greatest quote of all time?

I think so...