View poll results: Which one?
Epiphone
31 55%
Agile
22 39%
Dillion
3 5%
Voters: 56.
Hi guys, I'm moving to Canada really soon. I want to buy a guitar there. After a few days of researching I got my options narrow down as follow:

An Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus

A Canadian Dillion (http://www.jsdguitarshack.com/dillion_guitars/dxc-600-650/dillion_lp_guitars.html)

An Agile (http://www.rondomusic.com/al3000hsb.html)

How do you compare these three les Paul in term of quality over money and craftmanship ? The price goes: Dillion < Standard < Agile (has to ship from the state).

Thanks.
Gear:
Spear SHL-1 Evil Monkey
Digitech RP350
Vietnamese Made - Duy Ngọc Acoustic Guitar

Soon my gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
I'd imagine they're all about the same quality. I haven't heard much about Dillion guitars though. Epiphone would be a pretty safe bet, pickups aren't great though. Agile might be a little better, but I haven't played one personally, I wouldn't pay more for it than the epiphone
I vote agile, and I always considered epiphone to be cheap shitty copies of good guitars.
dont know anything about the dillion, but the agile and epi would be about on par as far as quality. I'd probably edge a little over to the epi do to the correct body shape. that and im not too crazy about agile's headstock, ewww. If you can stretch for a little more you could probably pick up a used epiphone elitist les paul. They have better woods and all the hardware is made in USA. Here's an auction on ebay you can look at, you might can get this one for cheap if you watch it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Epiphone-Elitist-Tak-Matsumoto-Les-Paul-/120611352360?pt=Guitar
The Dillon is the least ugly of the three, headstock-wise.

I've never played a Dillon or an Agile so I can't comment on any differences in fit and finish.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
The Elitist only ship in USA. The Dillion is certainly sexy. I'm leaning toward it and would definitely buy it if it has good playability, thanks to the incredibly cheap price. It's ~$700 Cad I have to pay for the Agile (with case), $510 CAD for the Dillion (also with case!), and 723 CAD for the Epiphone (yeah, with case). Pricey stuff. Playing guitar is such an expensive hobby.

...but i'm addicted...
Gear:
Spear SHL-1 Evil Monkey
Digitech RP350

Soon my gear:
Last edited by Chocobo142 at Aug 21, 2010,
I just sent them an email and received awesome news. RondoMusic is offering the Les Paul + Case for 600 CAD IN TOTAL, IN TOTAL !!! It really seems I'm buying the guitar there.
Gear:
Spear SHL-1 Evil Monkey
Digitech RP350

Soon my gear:
it ships outside of the usa, you just pay the shipping, says that right in the ad. if you could afford it, honestly would be a much better guitar
^ You also pay 18% sales tax and duty fees on top of whatever else you've paid because it wasn't made in North America.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
^ You also pay 18% sales tax and duty fees on top of whatever else you've paid because it wasn't made in North America.

Quote by Me
Hello Kurt,

I entered a Canadian zip code in the Shipping Calculation for a guitar and a case. The shipping fee was ~150 (which is...wow, a lot comparing to other stores shipping ). Is that all I have to handle, the guitar + the shipping cost ? Or I still have to pay the extra 13% tax from Ontario?

Thanks. I await your response.

Quote by Kurt from RondoMusic
Well actually I think our rate is quite a bit cheaper than other stores, considering it covers your brokerge and duty.

(nothing due on delivery)

Kurt

Consider me naive, I really hope what he said is the exact thing.
Gear:
Spear SHL-1 Evil Monkey
Digitech RP350

Soon my gear:
^ If he explicitly said that the brokerage, taxes and duty are covered, you're good.

Quote by bubb_tubbs
^ If he explicitly said that the brokerage, taxes and duty are covered, you're good.

Thanks bubb_tubbs I would love it if there's a thank button on this forum, but well, thanks

I'm so excited...
Gear:
Spear SHL-1 Evil Monkey
Digitech RP350

Soon my gear:
^ Yeah, that's the problem with buying a lot of things from the USA. Some people make the assumption that things are covered in the purchase price and then get a nasty surprise when they go to pick it up.

I paid $385 in taxes on the Les Paul, though I was expecting it since I import a large number of things to try out and resell.

Glad you got a nice deal.

Quote by bubb_tubbs
Glad you got a nice deal.

Gear:
Spear SHL-1 Evil Monkey
Digitech RP350

Soon my gear:
Quote by ChucklesMginty
I've never played an Epiphone I like, they all have the same dull quality.

probably the pups.
I've played an Epi Custom and AL 3100 and personally i felt like the epi felt cheaper than the Agile. Otherwise, they're like the same guitar :P
Wait wait, what about an Epiphone Les Paul Ultra added to the poll ?

Say for 50 CAD more
Gear:
Spear SHL-1 Evil Monkey
Digitech RP350

Soon my gear:
You will pay 13% Ontario tax when you receive the guitar. Rondo music may cover duty fees & brokerage fees (which are separate & hopefully ROndo is aware there are additional fees to go from US to Canada) but they cannot collect Ontario HST. That will be done the delivery company and applied on top of what you've already paid.
On another very famous LP site with generally older members, Agiles are seen as no better than Epis and many receive guitars that are "B" stock meaning they can come with flaws. Of course you are free then to return it but it is a hassle. The top carve is nothing like a Les Paul either but there are people who are happy with them none the less.
Moving on.....
If you're going to be in Canada, I'd check out a few Godin guitars. Well priced, and shit all over the stuff you mentioned.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

*hesitating*

What you think of a Dillion PRS ? There is one floating around with fairly cheap price...and I'm gassed...
Gear:
Spear SHL-1 Evil Monkey
Digitech RP350

Soon my gear:
Now you're on to a PRS Copy? Not the same guitar guy. PRS neck radius is normally 10" which is modern Fender not Gibson @ 12 inch. This will feel different and the scale length if accurate is 25 in vs Gibson/Epi 24-3/4 (named) scale.
Back off, think about what you want in a guitar and be prepared to wait if you need to save a couple more $$. Better that than buyer's remorse later on. Your final choice will be all that much more enjoyable.
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
Now you're on to a PRS Copy? Not the same guitar guy. PRS neck radius is normally 10" which is modern Fender not Gibson @ 12 inch. This will feel different and the scale length if accurate is 25 in vs Gibson/Epi 24-3/4 (named) scale.
Back off, think about what you want in a guitar and be prepared to wait if you need to save a couple more $$. Better that than buyer's remorse later on. Your final choice will be all that much more enjoyable.

Lol what I had yesterday was a GAS case. Have to rethink and try out everything. What is the major difference in tones and playability ? This one has a scale of 24 3/4 so no prob.

http://images.craigslist.org/3m23o13ld5Q65T65X6a8l80338225cb4e12e7.jpg

*explode*
Gear:
Spear SHL-1 Evil Monkey
Digitech RP350

Soon my gear:
Quote by KenG

This.

If you make an impulse buy while you're on the fence, you'll likely regret it later.

I've made that same mistake twice already - once purchasing a JCM 800 2204 and now the Fuchs Train45 when what I've really always wanted is a 100W non-master Marshall.

Quote by Chocobo142
Lol what I had yesterday was a GAS case. Have to rethink and try out everything. What is the major difference in tones and playability ? This one has a scale of 24 3/4 so no prob.

well in according to the web site it's a mahogany body with a carved maple cap. same scale as a paul, but also a trem as opposed to a t.o.m. bridge.

assuming the pups are decent it "should" sound good. seeing as pauls have a different bridge they sustain differently. notes don't fall off the same way imo.

i've never played or seen a dillion prs copy in person, i have no idea as to the pups or build quality.
I'm changing pickups anyway, on any of those guitars.
Gear:
Spear SHL-1 Evil Monkey
Digitech RP350

Soon my gear: