Hey Guys,

so i have a fairly entry level guitar at the moment (vintage VRS100) and im starting to think about an upgrade but rather than upgrading to a new guitar i was considering just getting a decent set of pickups installed cuz i quite like the guitar itself, just not its sound so much, is it worth doing this or should i just save a better guitar?

Cheers
Xbox Live GT: A7X Dan 09

Only Playing Gears Of War 2 ATM
It depends pretty much on your amplifier too.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

If you don't like your sound, your amp is almost 100% likely the problem, not your guitar.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I will agree with the above statements. Most of the time, it is the amplifier and/or the settings of said amplifier that will be the cause of a bad tone. Note that there's a difference between tone and sound. In this case, bad sound would be something sounding like it's broken or not properly functioning as opposed to just "not sounding good in your ears". Try fiddling A LOT with the EQ of your amplifier. Stand in different angles in relation to the speaker(s).

With that said, no, do not swap pickups. Pickups essentially do not really have their own sound in my opinion, they simply help accentuate your guitar. Different pickups will accentuate different aspects of your guitar and its sound, and they will vary in their ability to do so in a pleasing manner. Rule of thumb: Garbage in, garbage out. If your guitar is a crap guitar then really, no pickups will help it turn into a killer guitar.
That's not a very bad guitar. What kind of amp do you have ?
How old is your guitar? Is it one of the newer models with the wilkinson hardware and pickups? I've got the same guitar and have found the wilkinson pickups to be excellent, and I doubt a pickup swap will do much for you at all. What amp are you using?
Quote by Lukeisonfire
tool and opeth definitly dont play tube amps . You cant get those distorted sounds out of it. tube is for like beatles stuff right?

Quote by evilbeaver22
You're right, just about the only thing better than a Spider 3 is an MG : )

hey guys thanks for all the useful info, it is indeed the model with wilkerson hardware, its probably just my playing thats making it sound bad lol, im playing it through a zoomg2 which i hope to soon upgrade and a rowland 15 x
Xbox Live GT: A7X Dan 09

Only Playing Gears Of War 2 ATM
In that case the pickups won't make any difference. I'd definately invest the money in a new amp if I was in your position. I personally use a line flextone 3 amp which has proven to be a superb practice and gigging amp. Can be gotten pretty cheap on ebay atm in the UK as well!
Quote by Lukeisonfire
tool and opeth definitly dont play tube amps . You cant get those distorted sounds out of it. tube is for like beatles stuff right?

Quote by evilbeaver22
You're right, just about the only thing better than a Spider 3 is an MG : )