That's nothing to do with effects, it's down to being able to play cleanly and accurately at speed.

He's using the neck pickup, with some overdrive and reverb but that's not really what's key, it's all in the technique.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Yngwie's playing sounds like it's linked together mainly because of the large use of economy picking (I think)
It's a lot to do with what you play too - if you string together a nice sequence of arpeggios using chords from the same key with lots of shared notes you'll have yourself a nice, fluid piece.

Even with flawless technique if you don't construct something that's structured and melodic you'll often end up sounding somewhat disjointed and awkward.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Guitar Sushi
Yngwie's playing sounds like it's linked together mainly because of the large use of economy picking (I think)

Unless he's doing some sweeping he's more of an alternate picker really, his playing sounds the way it does because of the gear he uses and the fact that his technique is absolutely incredible. More the technique but the gear is what gives him his signature tone as well.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Yeah awesome technique. Nonetheless I believe the effect has some to do with that..

Have you ever noticed on youtube some silly boys playing the guitar (horribly) with an excellent sound? I'm not very good at explaining this but the sound I mean is warm in the passage between two notes and sounds like a little 'wah' is in the background. The groups with that kind of sound in the solos that came in my mind now are dragonforce and some other speed metal groups
That's all Technique. Tone is from your fingers. The playing is the most important part of the sound, the gear is all secondary.

Good Player thru Good Amp = Good Sound
Bad Player thru Good Amp = Bad Sound

It's all about the player, not the gear. Guthrie Govan would sound amazing through a Spider. Petrucci would still own, even if he were on an MG. Steve Vai would be a God even on a Vypyr.