Hey Guys,

I know what you all must be thinking 'Oh noes! Another thread about multi-effects boards'.

Unfortunately it's come about that i need one, just a basic one really as I've started in a covers band and the switching between Clean and Lead channels on my amp isn't really cutting it for sound anymore.

I've searched for a bit on the forum and ze google, but haven't found the answers I'm really after so I figured I'd ask you guys.

I'm really just after a basic unit that will let me switch between different effects easily, e.g. changing to a more AC/DC type tone then to a Metallica then to something else. I realise this pedal is really old, but it's a hell of a lot cheaper to get a second hand one than to buy a new ME-70 or something. Would it still be worth getting now days?

I've also heard there are issues about delays when switching between banks on the ME-50? The whole unable to use Wah while using something else doesn't worry me too much, I've got my trusty crybaby

Which brings me to my next quesiton, is the Me-70 really that much better and worth getting?

Are there any others that i should look out for that are just as easy to use and can provide what I'm after. I've looked at the GT-6 and GT-8, but they seem a bit OTT for what I really need at the moment....

Mah Gear
Jackson DK2M -- Washburn X50 ProQ -- Epihone Les Paul Standard
Mesa Boogie 3-Channel Dual Rectifier w/ 2 x 12 Mesa Recto Cab & Peavey 5150 4x12 Cab
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss ME-70

i own a me 50 and while i find the effects and features great the memory bank delays are quite annoying. Depending on how many different things you have running in the patches can affect it i've found. Quite often its about a second and a half delay with all the tone options. sustain, noise gate etc but your whole sound cuts out and its quite annoying. I've just stopped using them and dial in the diiferent things i want.

Another issue is that it does add a bit more....volume i suppose to your signal and if your a tone junky its noticeable and a bit artificial sounding, however you can adjust your amp/guitar/mfx to cope for this somewhat.

Finally i found the wah to have an aright sweep but it didnt have enough top end, although with aquisition of my vox wah thats no longer a problem

All in all i think its a great pedal for the amount of features you get but its not perfect. I dont know much about the me 70, i've heard it has less od/ds options although i think they are a bit overkill on the me-50 for my purposes. Just try both of them out man
Wow, didn't realise the delay between banks was that bad. I've heard that the me-70 doesnt have that delay. About a second and a half is a fair bit. Brilliant reply though, just what I was after.

Are there any other pedals you can recommend?

Mah Gear
Mesa Boogie 3-Channel Dual Rectifier w/ 2 x 12 Mesa Recto Cab & Peavey 5150 4x12 Cab
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss ME-70

I have the ME-70, I hate it. If you lived in Australia, I would give it to you for free. Maybe not for free.... but pretty cheap

EDIT: If I were to recommend another pedal, I would whole-heartdedly suggest Zoom. I have never experienced any problems with these units.
Last edited by Guitar Sushi at Aug 21, 2010,
Wow. What's so bad about the me-70?

Mah Gear
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss ME-70

In my opinion it's worth waiting the extra time to get actual individual pedals. Back when I first started paying in a band I just had to go straight into my amp and switch the channels. It wasn't easy. But now that I have a full pedal I would say it's very worth it that I waited.
If it's creative, true to your musical goal, and it sounds good, put it in the song.

1. Guitar, delay, verb, amp, and creativity.
2. Well-tuned acoustic piano and creativity.
3. A bottle of water.
I have one too.
I have that same problem with the delay between banks but I think one and a half seconds is a little exaggerated.
What I like about this pedal is the fact that it is built to last. Trust me I've given mine hell and i have had for probably 5 or 6 years. There are better multi-effects out there though, try and check them out.
Apart from the fact that it ruins my amp tone even when all the effects are off, the ME-70 does not allow the combination of the same effect types. For example, Metal Distortion and a Phaser can be put together. But a Phaser and a Harmonizer cannot be put together because they are located in the same section.

Also, the reason I bought this pedal is become I heard that they use the exact same "Digital Chips" as the individual stomp-boxes they use. This is obviously not true because I have compared the tone of the "metal distortion" setting on the ME-70 and it is thin and weak compared to my BOSS MT-2 Stompbox (and that pedal is not that great anyway)

So dude, I suggest you steer clear of this product.
I had considered individual pedals. The cost kinda put me off, although I do have the wah already. It could be something to look at.I guess

Mah Gear
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss ME-70

Quote by Guitar Sushi
Apart from the fact that it ruins my amp tone even when all the effects are off, the ME-70 does not allow the combination of the same effect types. For example, Metal Distortion and a Phaser can be put together. But a Phaser and a Harmonizer cannot be put together because they are located in the same section.

Also, the reason I bought this pedal is become I heard that they use the exact same "Digital Chips" as the individual stomp-boxes they use. This is obviously not true because I have compared the tone of the "metal distortion" setting on the ME-70 and it is thin and weak compared to my BOSS MT-2 Stompbox (and that pedal is not that great anyway)

So dude, I suggest you steer clear of this product.

Wow, didn't realise it was that bad.

might have to go back to the drawing board. Or back to finding a gt-6 :P

Mah Gear
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss ME-70

Quote by Guitar Sushi
I have the ME-70, I hate it. If you lived in Australia, I would give it to you for free. Maybe not for free.... but pretty cheap

EDIT: If I were to recommend another pedal, I would whole-heartdedly suggest Zoom. I have never experienced any problems with these units.

Any particular model from zoom?

Mah Gear
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss ME-70

For the $300 the ME-50 costs, you could get:

Vox V847 Wah ($70)
EHX Metal Muff Distortion and Top Boost ($70)
Dano Cool Cat Overdrive ($50)
EHX Memory Boy Analog Delay ($100)
Behringer PSU-HSB ($25)

That gives you:
Analog Delay, Distortion, Overdrive, Treble Booster, Chorus, Vibrato and Wah - all analog, all good sounding pedals, and versatile enough to handle most rock styles easily.

All you need is an offcut of hardwood from your local hardware store (my pedalboard cost 60p), and some velcro tape (you can get a big roll for a few quid online). Then you've got a versatile, professional pedalboard which will sound great!

And by the way, i hav tons of experience with the ME-50, I use it as a 'second pedalboard' at the jam nights we run. Impressions:
The overdrives are usable but really thin, harsh, and fizzy compared to the real thing. The 'tone modelling' is useless. The reverbs are crap. The delay is pretty good. The chorus etc aren't too bad, the uni-vibe model is the only one i've found worth using. The wah is horrible, but the whammy pedal settings are fun and usable in a busy mix without sounding dreadful. Tuner is nowhere near accurate enough. And whoever decided to have the set the pedal as a volume pedal when you're not using the wha is an idiot, really easy to knock the volume down by mistake.
Last edited by kyle62 at Aug 21, 2010,
I was in the same situation. Got myself a POD XT live.
Now I'm Happy

ME-50 is more of a desktop unit than a floorboard, so BAD for onstage use(if you plan on using 3-4 patches a song)
Blues isn't hard to play, but it is hard to feel.

-Someone on the forum
Quote by Shreyash
Now I'm Happy

Friend of mine had the ME 50 and I had the XT Live. He now has an XT Live also, but unless you absolutely want amp modeling, I'd go with kyle62's suggestion. The POD is pretty good and very convenient, but it doesn't stand up to my pedals.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Sorry about the late reply, fell asleep. Ha ha ha.

Looks like ill be avoiding the me-50 and 70. Will definitely look into the others, unsure if i want amp modeling but it could be fun. Just found my old delay pedal too so, single pedals could be an idea.

Will also look into the zoom and pod units too, those are bound to be stupidly expensive in NZ I think but you never know.

Glad I asked before making. Huge mistake.

Mah Gear
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss ME-70

Hrmmm, I may as well ask in here instead of making starting a new thread. How are the Digitech Pedals, specifically the RP500 and 355?

Looking around I'm unsure if I'm able to afford a Line6 or Zoom, they're about 900NZD here

Mah Gear
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss ME-70

Quote by scott58
Friend of mine had the ME 50 and I had the XT Live. He now has an XT Live also, but unless you absolutely want amp modeling, I'd go with kyle62's suggestion. The POD is pretty good and very convenient, but it doesn't stand up to my pedals.

He wrote-I'm really just after a basic unit that will let me switch between different effects easily, e.g. changing to a more AC/DC type tone then to a Metallica then to something else. I realise this pedal is really old, but it's a hell of a lot cheaper to get a second hand one than to buy a new ME-70 or something. Would it still be worth getting now days?

So he wants tones, i.e. Amp Modelling
Blues isn't hard to play, but it is hard to feel.

-Someone on the forum
I had an ME-50 for a while. It's great for messing around with and finding out what kind of effects you like, but you can do much better for the price and from what you've said, you're going to need this for gigging/jamming purposes. The ME-50 doesn't sound very good, and it has delay problems when switching. I'd recommend against it. Check out some other multi-FX pedals.
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
Quote by Shreyash
Now I'm Happy

something like this.

look into rack units. if you don't need the amp modeling, there are great units that do just FX. might be a little more than an ME50 once you figure in a few MIDI cables and a floor board, but well worth it in the long run. the old series of G-Majors can be had on the cheap now, and it's a unit you can find use for whether you're doing covers or just programming your own personal fav's.

individual pedals are great, but it can be a hassle doing the "tap dance" to get them all correct quickly, especially if setting adjustments are needed.
Yeah, thats one thing I was worried about with individual pedals, looking like a rendition of Rivier Dance midway through songs or at the start of them. It's unfortunate that Line6 kit is pretty expensive because it looks like what I"d be after, e.g. a Line6 X3 Live is about 900NZD.

I had looked at some Digitech RP series effects boards and they seemed like they would do the job, but I'm unsure if they're any good yet. I"m assuming they're bound to be better than the ME-50 or ME-70. I've also heard Vox mentioned in a few other threads?

I know i mentioned at the start that the GT-6 series would be a bit OTT, but if they can get the job done I'd be willing to look into it.

Mah Gear
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss ME-70

I have been looking at the Tone Lab, just haven't had a chance to play with it yet. I'm assuming it's going to be better than the Boss pedals. Would you recommend it above something like, say, a GT-6?

Mah Gear
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss ME-70