I have been offered a Behringer BX1200 with a footswitch pedal for $300, and I thought it was a sweet deal. (Mainly because of the fact that in my country most gear costs around 175% the price it has in the US, damn taxes) And I wanted to ask if this would fit my needs. (You can see my current gear in my sig BTW, though I'm also planning on buying an Ibanez bass, probably after buying a new amp) I wanna play Hard Rock/Heavy Metal/Thrash Metal. I mainly play pickstyle, and I'm looking for a tone similar to David Ellefson's/Frank Bello's/Duff McKagan's/Jason Newsted's.

So yeah, would this amp fit my needs?
Current Gear:
Peavey Zodiac DE Scorpio (Bass)
Yamaha RBX-170 (Bass)
Boss ODB-3 (Overdrive Pedal)
Line 6 LowDown 150 (Amp)
Last edited by Silveroon009 at Aug 21, 2010,
Honest answer:
if you're lucky and get a good one.

Answer I wanted to give:
no.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by gilly_90
Honest answer:
if you're lucky and get a good one.

Answer I wanted to give:
no.

why not??
Current Gear:
Yamaha RBX-170 (Bass)
Line 6 LowDown 150 (Amp)
Behringers are very hit and miss in reliability terms and rubbish in sound quality
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
Oh, OK, so I guess I should try it out first, right?
Current Gear:
Yamaha RBX-170 (Bass)
Line 6 LowDown 150 (Amp)
to be honest even if you don't mind the tone there's a fairly high chance it will break on you and put you more out of pocket. Save your money
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
It seems like a lot of people have problems with Behringer amps, so if you get one that is trouble-free then it might be OK.

The BX1200 has been discontinued. It has been replaced with the BX1800 at the same price, so unless you think the price for the BX1200 is very low you might look for a BX1800. It has 180 watts instead of 120 watts like the BX1200.

I still have an old BX1200 laying around the house. I mostly use it as a bass practice amp. The biggest complaint I have with it is that the more you crank it up, the worse it sounds. Sounds very good between 1 and 4, but gets dark and muddy above that volume level. Still, it's a great practice amp and it sounds best at louder volumes with a jazz bass pickup. It's an odd size; too big to be a practice amp and too small for live venues, although it would work OK in a very small night club or as a church amp I would think.
Well its definitely not the 120W advertised....

Some people will tell you to buy it and that theirs works fine, but the truth is that Behringer has such an awful reputation for a reason. Horror stories abound, and oftentimes people find that their gear doesn't make it a full year without breaking down. They sound pretty bad, QC is a joke, and reliability is a word I would never associate with Behringer products. Best save your money for something much better.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I'm so glad I posted this... Thanks guys.
Current Gear:
Yamaha RBX-170 (Bass)
Line 6 LowDown 150 (Amp)
Its true that Behringer products sometimes issues. But I say test it out. I had a 450w head that I had a few years and never had an issue with it. I still have it as a back up. And you can get some great tones out of it.